Peter

Superleague Triathlon LIVE (hamilton Island)

202 posts in this topic

Lucky super league has sweet fark all to do with the itu .

Are they shitty they can't control it?

That the boys signed on for good dollars?

That the prize purse is good?

Are they worried that people will remember that they  swept a certain kazikstan results under the mat back in the day?

Why dosn't liz start her own series and get people to back it and find tv rights and pay athletes contracts etc...and all other associated cost?

My opinion is I probably wouldn't sit down and watch the women race and im sure im not the only one.

I made an effort last week to watch and liked it although I didn't watch the last one as I was at the footy watching the sharks come crashing back to planet earth.

So if there budget is x amount they can only go so far. 

Ive got no problem with them having just men if they can get more sponsors dollars in and make it profitable to have women then great .

So if the ladies are unhappy why not pick up the phone and get $$ in to help out to make the series for both.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Liz Everyone entitled to an opinion. Feel free to pick up a phone. Always looking for help. Women have been contacted, and signed but as this is the Super League and we only want the best, taking the best of the rest was not an option. They were all aware of this and a discussion we had prior to the Olympics. You probably wouldn't know that as you were not one of the ones we reached out to. This does not take away from our respect of you as an athlete. We were looking at the best in set fields. Take a look at the mens field and assess this exact thing. We did the same for all the men. Now what I have found since retiring from this sport and moving on, is these athletes who are so used to hand outs cry poor me when people give their heart and soul to try and launch something for the benefit of the sport and those who feel hard done by call inequality, or sexism or somehow do all they can to dismantle something. A rising tide brings up all ships. I have 2 daughters who both live for competitive sport. My eldest is the best horse rider in the state and my youngest wishes to play football for Australia. To even insinuate that I am an advocate for gender inequality is rude, in poor taste and obnoxious of all of you. Shame on you all. Whilst i appreciate opinion why dont you come to the table with action and time and help me raise the captial and interest in our sport to allow such a series like this to survive and launch for all. Have you ever tried to do anything outside of swimming, biking and running with your hand out as a professional???. Instead many of you sit with inaction and throw stones from the sidelines thinking this is help. Instead ask yourself what you have done to add value to this sport (regardless of being male or female) that did not directly effect you. Like many, you react only out of lack of what you are not getting and come to the table with problems and complaints instead of solutions. We launched the Bahrain Endurance 13 team and the same people screamed and yelled. China buys Ironman and we all rejoice. Seriously, you guys are either stupid or live in glass houses. Shame on you all! We have LOI signed with most of the worlds top women. They all know that and have been informed of all actions. You dont have one for whatever reason and funny the ones complaining are the ones who didn't get the contract.. This being said, organising and running an event like this is more than putting women racing on and paying for TV coverage. All of this costs millions of dollars. You wouldn't know because you have never sat on this side of the fence. Come and work with us. I would be happy to enploy you and have you be the champion of what we are trying to do. Help us grow what we are doing and save a sport I love. I dont see women or mens racing. I see bloody Triathlon. Daniela Ryf and Nicola Spirit are probably my favourite triathletes in the world right now. Only you seem to see the gender, but instead of spending hours writing long poor me letters, come and work with us. I can put you to work tomorrow. Would love your help. Only then may you really appreciate the magnitude of what we are trying to do, where triathlon exists in the scheme of global sport, how difficult it is to build trust and commercial sustainability in this sport and why things are not just black and white. Maybe for the first time in your life you can appreciate that Rome wasnt built in a day and every decision in a commercial environment is not always around gender inequality nor is always about a single individual. As a professional athlete this might be a life lesson you have yet to learn! Shame on you for even assuming this had anything to do with it but will assume ignorance as the reason. Door is open to start work with us tomorrow. Stop the bullshit and come and put your words to action. I can't wait to launch the worlds best womens series. It will be awesome. How about some help in the process. Why don't all of you stand up and throw your support, network and efforts into helping me do just that instead of standing their with your hands out. . .... Will wait and see if you call? Offer stands if you are not afraid of hard unappreciated work

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Lucky super league has sweet fark all to do with the itu .

Are they shitty they can't control it?

 

 

Carisol is from Spain, a country that's imploding from corruption and riding the EU gravy train.

She is the head of a sporting governing body.

She's a memeber of the IOC.

Certainly ticking a few boxes!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So instead of offering Liz a job afterwards, why not get her or another female involved at the very beginning?  Womens participation/involvement is a problem if you make it one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyno said:

Bit unfair to name these folks in this manner.

I'd agree they won't go positive, but due to personal integrity rather than needing a high level coverup.

 

My point is superstars will never go positive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

So instead of offering Liz a job afterwards, why not get her or another female involved at the very beginning?  Womens participation/involvement is a problem if you make it one?

maybe Liz wasn't the most qualified for the position..

There were plenty of women involved in this venture right from the beginning, just because Liz wasn't one of them doesn't mean there weren't any.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great read Rog im not on this insta  thing /twitter thing .

But that was a good read .

And im proud of my mate putting it out there and having the passion and drive to help the sport plus the best in the world .

Everyone is always quick to jump on things with out knowing the facts.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Did your mate get paid well?

Wouldn't know never ask or talk about money religion or politics. ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beaten said:

maybe Liz wasn't the most qualified for the position..

There were plenty of women involved in this venture right from the beginning, just because Liz wasn't one of them doesn't mean there weren't any.

 

Thanks Beaten & good point about Liz. I'll admit to not knowing the details of who was involved & I've probably missed a whole chunk of background info but it just seems really odd that it was only the men racing. From my perpesctive, as a female, it would have been a smarter move, if not the most profitable move, to have both racing  - just my thoughts

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

Thanks Beaten & good point about Liz. I'll admit to not knowing the details of who was involved & I've probably missed a whole chunk of background info but it just seems really odd that it was only the men racing. From my perpesctive, as a female, it would have been a smarter move, if not the most profitable move, to have both racing  - just my thoughts

Super League, "the best of the best"

as Macca himself said in his reply to Liz.." not the best of the rest.".

the best athletes that were wanted for this event, both male and female were contact mid last year, the men signed their LOI and negotiated contracts. Some of the women were not able to sign contracts due to possible dates of the first race but expressed interest with their LOI. Negotiations were made and as we know the womens racing will be starting in October. Some ppl choose to ignore this FACT because they like to complain and make conspiracy theories.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

Thanks Beaten & good point about Liz. I'll admit to not knowing the details of who was involved & I've probably missed a whole chunk of background info but it just seems really odd that it was only the men racing. From my perpesctive, as a female, it would have been a smarter move, if not the most profitable move, to have both racing  - just my thoughts

Do you really think they wouldn't have had the women there if it would have been more profitable? Whilst Macca may have been there to have fun with his mates (maybe), I'm certain his backers were there to make money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, beaten said:

Super League, "the best of the best"

as Macca himself said in his reply to Liz.." not the best of the rest.".

the best athletes that were wanted for this event, both male and female were contact mid last year, the men signed their LOI and negotiated contracts. Some of the women were not able to sign contracts due to possible dates of the first race but expressed interest with their LOI. Negotiations were made and as we know the womens racing will be starting in October. Some ppl choose to ignore this FACT because they like to complain and make conspiracy theories.  

Excuse my ignorance (didn't watch because there was no women's event) but didn't the men's field include car drivers and athletes from other sports? How were these the 'best'?

From what I was told, direct from T.A., there was no intention to have a women's race at this first event. FFS, it's not like it would have been twice as much work. It's really not that hard. They are all in it for the money. This 'patron saint of triathlon' act is pretty transparent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Excuse my ignorance (didn't watch because there was no women's event) but didn't the men's field include car drivers and athletes from other sports? How were these the 'best'?

From what I was told, direct from T.A., there was no intention to have a women's race at this first event. FFS, it's not like it would have been twice as much work. It's really not that hard. They are all in it for the money. This 'patron saint of triathlon' act is pretty transparent.

Well you couldn't have heard more wrong.. there were no athletes from other sports or racing car drivers competing. That is just total crap. I would be interested to Know who at ta you heard from, obviously not someone who actually knew the whole truth. The date for this event was set but as stated so many times now, many of the top women invited were not going to be able to compete and the event ended up needing to be organised without them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Macca copped it on twitter after it was announced as blokes only for the first event.

Rightly so.

He could have made a better fist of informing the triathlon public and potential racers that there was a Women's event coming, just not in the pilot race.

That wouldn't have stopped all the crap, but it would have been better than his cranky reactionary posts.

The number of quality pro women on twitter who didn't have any idea about the series seemed pretty high.

I'm talking ITU/Olympic level athletes, who if they aren't in his selection, I'd like to know who is.

He is right on one point, Liz isn't the current target to race, but he obviously missed an opportunity to get a well connected, pointy end athlete on side.

That's the sort of thing that can hurt in the long run.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Macca,

Not that you will read here (cough cough). Many here see the effort you are putting in to get this up and running. Good work. 

I know the women's race will come. It's just time and money.

Don't listing to the nonbelievers. They are the ones who don't want to see the sport advance.

Regards

The keyboard warrior.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot of talk of advancing the sport through this format. It is a 20 plus year old format that works well for short bursts of TV time and that is a good thing. As far as developing the sport one challenge in the past was the timing. People focussed on ITU or North American non drafting races, or at the time the few long course guys who could hack the pace showed up not in shape. This happened again with Brownlee and to a lesser extent Gomez.

Murray came in with a point to prove and his performance was great. As a spectator over three days its hard to tell what is going on and you end up with the thing that Olympics wanted to avoid the first person over the line is not the winner as we had on the last day.

SL is a bit like it was in the day not bad filler for a sunday afternoon, upside it gave a platform for emerging locals to come through, robbo, simon thompson etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of these guys are actually focussed on ITU so really all in a similar stage of their season. Lots have already raced in abudhabi and most are on the gold coast wts start list in a couple of weeks also, with the exception of the long course guys of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beaten said:

Most of these guys are actually focussed on ITU so really all in a similar stage of their season. Lots have already raced in abudhabi and most are on the gold coast wts start list in a couple of weeks also, with the exception of the long course guys of course. 

AB and Gomez did not look like they were taking it too seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont have a problem with no womens event first up.

 

If it was funded by the governing body, then maybe. But it was a private event, and i dont see a problem the way it happened. If you organise and put something on, then you dont have to do what other people want. Itherise, how come no female F1? V8? Rugby league? Rugby?

 

Its like people thinking the banks are there for them, and should lower interest rates. They arent. Theyre for profit and shareholders. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Turtle said:

I dont have a problem with no womens event first up.

 

If it was funded by the governing body, then maybe. But it was a private event, and i dont see a problem the way it happened. If you organise and put something on, then you dont have to do what other people want. Itherise, how come no female F1? V8? Rugby league? Rugby?

 

Its like people thinking the banks are there for them, and should lower interest rates. They arent. Theyre for profit and shareholders. 

You go girl!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Customer said:

Excuse my ignorance (didn't watch because there was no women's event) but didn't the men's field include car drivers and athletes from other sports? How were these the 'best'?

Nah all triathletes but

He picked probably 10 top guys and the rest were Bahrain 13 athletes. He was looking after his mates. 

Lets just wait for year 2. If no chicks then, well we can burn him at the stake then. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Nah all triathletes but

He picked probably 10 top guys and the rest were Bahrain 13 athletes. He was looking after his mates. 

Lets just wait for year 2. If no chicks then, well we can burn him at the stake then. 

4 Bahrain endurance guys, 1 being Gomez, another Brownlee both top ITU guys.. so that only leaves 2 others, Aren't Bahrain endurance meant to be the top long course athletes? This being the case I am not sure I understand your gripe with the other 2 being there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now