RunBrettRun

Ironman Australia 2017

406 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Lots of random faces and tri kits around town.  2 sperm helmets already hitting the cathie straights.  Not long till the ironman banners start popping up.

I even went out the other day! Going again tomorrow. Good to have two rides under my belt. Can I taper then?

7 hours ago, Shuffla said:

I even went out the other day! Going again tomorrow. Good to have two rides under my belt. Can I taper then?

I hope u had your sperm helmet on

1 person likes this

So ive seen photos of the big steep hill at the IM OZ course. Any details on it? Length and/or gradient? Also is it only 1 x for the 70.3 and 2 x for the 140.6?

1 hour ago, Suburban Kid said:

So ive seen photos of the big steep hill at the IM OZ course. Any details on it? Length and/or gradient? Also is it only 1 x for the 70.3 and 2 x for the 140.6?

The 70.3 is just laps of the hill.  So you will do it approx 90 times.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

It's not a hill its a little rise. If you walk up it you shouldn't have entered or are over 60 years old.

2 people like this

15 hours ago, Clarkevitch said:

It's not a hill its a little rise. If you walk up it you shouldn't have entered or are over 60 years old.

Being over 60yrs is no excuse either - I am nearly 69yrs and WILL BE RIDING UP - you have to train for the course you'll be competing on - there are far too many people entering Ironman events these days and have not trained for them :wallbash:

2 people like this

It's like people that walk on the run . If you can't run the whole way you obviously haven't trained properly for it. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, AP said:

Being over 60yrs is no excuse either - I am nearly 69yrs and WILL BE RIDING UP - you have to train for the course you'll be competing on - there are far too many people entering Ironman events these days and have not trained for them :wallbash:

I hope you finally put some compact cranks on that bike of yours old man!

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

SK. There are rollers out and back into town with 1 hill (MFD) which some people have a few problems with. It is not necessarily hard just a bit steep at the end. Just hit it upwards with speed and work hard the last 50 metres. The problems occur when you are around a group going up. Keep enough distance if you are passing people - they do wander. I had 1 person get to the top then stop in front of me. I almost hit them as I was not going to stop. Get round the corner on the homeward journey and just spin the legs to get the lactic out. I was 102 kgs when I did it last year and made it up MFD.

I found it harder doing the rolling hills out of town to MFD harder than MFD itself. The legs weren't ready for rollers out of the swim.

FM

4 hours ago, AP said:

And this is not AP not riding up it !!!!

NOT lol

edit to add

the great man did still win his age by about an hr on that day so he still could have crawled up mfd and still gone to Kona 

IMG_1372.JPG

Edited by ironpo
3 people like this

2 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

Easy peasy lemon squeasy, might ride back down and do a second time. 

and there's also this way to do it

from this thread

9 hours ago, AP said:

4 hours ago, ironpo said:

And this is not AP not riding up it !!!!

NOT lol

edit to add

the great man did still win his age by about an hr on that day so he still could have crawled up mfd and still gone to Kona 

IMG_1372.JPG

Will you be there with your camera this year IP to ensure he lives up to those words?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Will you be there with your camera this year IP to ensure he lives up to those words?

I'll be on the course racing with mrs IP at her pace so we might be a tad behind the great man

i might end up walking up mfd myself , just to feel the shame 

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yes Rog - I have compacts now - and that year in the photo I cramped half way up - nearly fell off - just unclipped in time - it was a walk of shame - when that photo was taken I was a beaten man - got my shit together up around the corner B)

4 people like this

Good work, I'll be there keeping you honest ;)

16 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

#880 for me.   MFD looks short and steep.  How hard could it be :)

Short and sweet - but is a double pinch and a tough one at that.

Has anyone ridden Checker Hill in the Adelaide hills?  It was on this years Bupa TDU ride. Wondering how it compares to MFD

18 hours ago, bengillespie78 said:

Is the pro list available anywhere for this race yet??

18-106: IronmanFoz

293: IronJimbo

1 person likes this

Woops, just realised that I had better start training for the Big Day. So, I'm in for IMOz no 16 and IM no 35. I'm a bit worried with my Taper Hard Train Easy motto, that has given me 34 starts and 34 finishes. Sort of an enviable record that I don't want to tarnish...so help me along if you see me out there.

Oh, of course the Very Famous Transitions Beer Mile will be on again and we have even been asked to be part of the celebrations on the Monday afternoon. See the post for the Beer Mile later today.

So....  15-276 is the number.

Looking forward to catching up with you all.

Everytime I go back to this thread I have to scroll down.............and I keep seeing this:

"Being over 60yrs is no excuse either - I am nearly 69yrs and WILL BE RIDING UP - you have to train for the course you'll be competing on - there are far too many people entering Ironman events these days and have not trained for them :wallbash:"

And then I keep seeing the pic of AP walking. Very funny. And in compression socks too. I only laugh because we love you AP.

I walked it last year for the first time. I was coming off a fractured tibia and only did 3 long rides.... 110k, 137k and 152k along with 1 x 10km run per week. The docs told me to not run til that following Sept. I did enough to get me around the course that day.......but as AP says you have to train for it. I didn't and paid for it with my own walk of shame - I was hammered at 70K (went a bit hard too early) and hammered again at 150k...struggled through to MFD and had nothing. Fortunately I was able to recover and went 11:57.