RunBrettRun

Ironman Australia 2017

406 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Shuffla said:

7 weeks eh? Struggling for motivation to get on the bike. Maybe 200km in the past 4 weeks. Oh well, should be enough time for a couple more long rides i guess.

You'll be right

just do it WA style and stop at your place and sit out the first and possibly most of the second  lap

Might sit out the swim as well and just go for a run.

1 person likes this

Starting to feel the energy of the race.

Still a bit of work to get through but it's always nice when the end is in sight.

It's been a long build into this one (for me anyway), so looking forward to toeing the line.

3 people like this

Nervous!  One more long run today and a long ride Good Friday and then start tapering.

Can't help but feel I should have done more training but then again, I'm not injured or sick and my running ( worst leg) has come along nicely in the last month.

Was about to say can't wait for the 2017 Athlete guide to be put up, but looks like it was published this morning on the website.   Hooray!

Edited by ScubaSteve
1 person likes this

I've been doing a bit here and there.  Hope it's enough...

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I am going to be relying on the Awesomeness of IronJimbo to get me around the course.

Looking forward to catching up.

1 person likes this

Any idea how the below will work. Is it in the massage tent or...... and what if it rains etc.

And more importantly will the Trannies meet at the pub on Town Green and walk there to the Welcome! :)

Time:   4.00pm - 5.00pm:            

What:   Athlete Welcome & Race Director Update (Including TriClub Parade)- IRONMAN Australia Athletes

Where: Finish Precinct, Town Green 

15 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I am going to be relying on the Awesomeness of IronJimbo to get me around the course.

Looking forward to catching up.

It's always great to see you on IM weekend Foz

But just so you know, you'll have a bit of 'catching up' to do on Sunday ;)

8 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Any idea how the below will work. Is it in the massage tent or...... and what if it rains etc.

And more importantly will the Trannies meet at the pub on Town Green and walk there to the Welcome! :)

What:   Athlete Welcome & Race Director Update (Including TriClub Parade)- IRONMAN Australia Athletes

Sounds like everyone will be standing around next to the finish chute like a collective shag on a rock

I propose that we get a table at the Beach House and heckle from the balcony

4 weeks to go. So skinny, so cold, so tired and so over it.

2 people like this

Using IMOZ 70.3 as a trial for Hawaii 70.3 1 month later (June 3), so I will just be cruising around

1 person likes this

Only had a quick look at the info recently posted on the webpage, but it looks like there is a voucher for dinner to the value of $30 as a replacement for the Welcome Dinner. Can't see anything to replace the Awards Dinner other than a function at the Beach House. Didn't think the Beach has was big enough to accommodate everyone

A $30 voucher - they used to charge $55 for a guest dinner - now they refund us $30 :huh:

$30 doesn't buy much of a dinner in Port Macquarie - but then it wasn't much of a dinner it is replacing - but we don't go for the dinners, we go for the experience 

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

You'll be fine.

I have a feeling you might have done more than I did before my last IM. (first swim in nearly 4 months was the race.. oops)

Deployed with the fire service to Bowen for TC Debbie before she hit, so went 10 days with zero training......not ideal but I guess my body got some rest.  Had a good week training since I got back last week, another week or so of solid training then start to taper.  Pretty disappointed they've done away with the carb & awards functions.  First IM so excited and nervous at the same time!

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, BenjieB said:

4 weeks to go. So skinny, so cold, so tired and so over it.

Has RBR hacked your account 

17 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

Using IMOZ 70.3 as a trial for Hawaii 70.3 1 month later (June 3), so I will just be cruising around

Why would u be just cruising around ?

get out there and race 

19 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Yes 

this seems very risky , considering the weather up there the last few years around this time of year

19 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Why would u be just cruising around ?

get out there and race 

This.

Rolling around a race course at 60% as part of training just never made any sense to me. May as well have saved the time and money and just had a normal training day at home.

if you are going to race in a training block, use it as an opportunity for a proper hit-out at race intensity. You will have far greater physical and mental gains from doing this than just rolling around. Recovery from 70.3 is short anyway, so just be a bit smart in the 3 days following the race and you'll be fine.

I just see the process as pointless otherwise.

4 people like this

19 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

Smart choice - you'll be better prepared for Hawaii 70.3 than me!

Id go hard (IM Race pace) and maybe "switch off" at 20-25 k of the run. 

After that is when the real pain and possible damage is done. Unless you are feeling great in which case you can keep on going and have a great IM. 

He's talking about a half. 

Doh! In that case go batshit crazy!  Race the thing.

Only pull up if something starts going wrong. 

1 person likes this

I'll be getting my money's worth in the half. Up on Thursday then out the following Tuesday. I'm about 6 weeks short of where I want to be (again).

After that, heading to Moree for 3 days at the artesian hot springs. I've been told it's a bit like "Cocoon" the movie (old farts walking around in bath robes).

FM

Edited by Flanman