RunBrettRun

Ironman Australia 2017

297 posts in this topic

My impending defeat of IronmanFoz is not a theory

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Alopogies four this teribal tiping but eye can hardly sea the quay board dew too the tears in my eye's from IronJimbo's excesive bullying.

I can't wait to see your "awesomeness" in port! Bring it on!!!!

3 people like this

Harden up snowflake

No mercy!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

There are a lot of theories being spouted here - why don't we wait 8 weeks and see how those theories play out :shy:

Maybe you'll be able to ride up MFD this year?

4 people like this

I don't get it

It will take you a fair while to join AP's age group.

FM

Maybe you'll be able to ride up MFD this year?

I did last year - no problems - bring it on :smile1:

Â

I did last year - no problems - bring it on :smile1:

We're heading out for a practice ride tomorrow. Two laps as well. Hope I make it up cause there is no carpet to walk up 8 weeks out.

What is the length and gradient of MFD? I did NZ on a 54-42/23-11and at times wished I had the 25 on the back

Edited by stone

What is the length and gradient of MFD? I did NZ on a 54-42/23-11and at times wished I had the 25 on the back

Better seek a 28 then

Go for it. :)

640x480-frank-2013.08.13.10.03.07-1-Sunt

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

We're heading out for a practice ride tomorrow. Two laps as well. Hope I make it up cause there is no carpet to walk up 8 weeks out.

What time ? I am up In Port at the moment.

FM

Edited by Flanman

First triathlon I ever did was at Mooloolabah, and the ride went up Buderim. Back then, a 21 was an easy gear. I rode past the eventual women's winner while she was running her bike up the hill.

On that course a 28 is advisable (and I would not ride a 54-42 combo either, 53-39 or even compact if you're not a strong cyclist).

Haven't read the tread. My 20c from the sofa.

Don't pump your tyres too hard.

Ride a 28 rear up the hill. Be able to ride solid from the top not need to recover for mins.

Don't back off in the bumpy bits. Get aero and go. Concentrate on a smooth line.

Excuse the interruption. Just wanted to feel part of the action;)

1 person likes this

On that course a 28 is advisable (and I would not ride a 54-42 combo either, 53-39 or even compact if you're not a strong cyclist).

i recommend an 11-21 and single 55 on the front for you :). No walking :).

What time ? I am up In Port at the moment.

FM

Sorry mate i missed this. We probably passed each other. Saw a few more people than normal out there.

First triathlon I ever did was at Mooloolabah, and the ride went up Buderim. Back then, a 21 was an easy gear. I rode past the eventual women's winner while she was running her bike up the hill.

Back around when exhasbeen was competitive none of us had an easier gear on the back than a 21 - I've ridden Henri Roberts Drive at the back of the Gold Coast many times on a 42 x 21 - one of our guys rode it on a 42 x 18 :scared:

I will ride MFD on a 39 x 27 - because that's what I have got - it's amazing what you can handle if it's all you have - it is only a small part of the course :smile1:

Back around when exhasbeen was competitive none of us had an easier gear on the back than a 21 - I've ridden Henri Roberts Drive at the back of the Gold Coast many times on a 42 x 21 - one of our guys rode it on a 42 x 18 :scared:

I will ride MFD on a 39 x 27 - because that's what I have got - it's amazing what you can handle if it's all you have - it is only a small part of the course :smile1:

totally agree about old day gearing. I got paid out when I put a 23 on the back ;). C1988.

Maybe it's cause I'm older. But the idea of power spiking up the hill just doesn't seem the right thing to do. For me anyhow.

1 person likes this

Back then I remember everyone used to go on about how hard it was to ride up Mt Glorious from Samford. I only knew half a dozen triathletes that could do it, and I knew a lot of competitive cyclists that couldn't. I managed it a couple of times, but it was very slow, and just like doing leg presses to turn the cranks. I did it again a few years ago, and halfway up started thinking "what was all the fuss about. I'm old now and still going to make it." I then remembered it would have been on a 42 - 19, rather than a 39 - 25.

Give me these modern gears any day.

1 person likes this

Yeah as I have gotten older I have allowed myself a couple of extra teeth on the rear sprocket for each decade birthday - I'm about 18 months off a 30 tooth gear in the rear cluster - I'll have more teeth on my cassette than I'll have in my head :shy:

3 people like this

Yeah as I have gotten older I have allowed myself a couple of extra teeth on the rear sprocket for each decade birthday - I'm about 18 months off a 30 tooth gear in the rear cluster - I'll have more teeth on my cassette than I'll have in my head :shy:

Al, there is an alternate career for you, perhaps don't go mainstream at the cross. :)

1 person likes this

Al, there is an alternate career for you, perhaps don't go mainstream at the cross. :)

ecb5be45d2209c536f518dda8b0dd653.jpg

Like this?

1 person likes this

Where are the sizes written ? I have never looked - just spun the legs and pushed/pulled.

FM

7 weeks to go today. Lost my focus the last 2  weeks. Done nothing.  Still trying to work out too much in life. Just need to train and enjoy myself. Finding it very hard to do. 

I guess it's just grab a cupful of concrete and htfu. 

maybe just stop watching TV and looking at Transitions and just get on with everything. 

FM

1 person likes this

Yep 7 weeks today.  Just had a weekend away with my gf in sydney at the races.  No long ride this week and happy with the rest and looking forward to 6 solid weeks of training to go.

1 person likes this

7 weeks eh? Struggling for motivation to get on the bike. Maybe 200km in the past 4 weeks. Oh well, should be enough time for a couple more long rides i guess.