RunBrettRun

Ironman Australia 2017

406 posts in this topic

I'm also a starter to ensure confusion between which Foz is which.

It's okay, I can tell you two apart in person :P

well...I'm 74kg and looking at 180w which is just under 70% ftp. That's the target for a 6hour'ish ride.

So much can change it, hot weather, cold weather, wind, rain, flats etc. I can only control the watts :)

Mind you - my ride split for Ballarat 70.3 was 2:30, so guessing sub 6 isn't out of the question on a good day.

1 person likes this

There would be some of us who could never be accused of thinking.....

Present

1 person likes this

well...I'm 74kg and looking at 180w which is just under 70% ftp. Â That's the target for a 6hour'ish ride.Â

So much can change it, hot weather, cold weather, wind, rain, flats etc. Â I can only control the watts :)

Mind you - my ride split for Ballarat 70.3 was 2:30, so guessing sub 6 isn't out of the question on a good day.

I've raced at about that weight and doubt I would have been over 180W. That worked out at 5:40ish.

Don't forget the special event on May 7th.

IronJimbo, IronPo, iFoz, IronmanFoz, IronMum and about 1500+ others will be attempting to do an Ironman all on the same day. We are calling it "OneInARow". My research says this has never been done before. Our charity is Ironman and we are accepting donations (read entry fee) up until sold out. Note: all donations will incur an "Active fee" of approx 8%.

Transport will be provided by bicycles and running shoes (insert your brand here).

All food will be provided by Ironman and volunteers, handing out sports drink/water/coke, cookies, bananas, gels and bars etc etc! Note: these will be deliver to you at you table/aid station.

Our motor home for the day will be a whopping big canvas tent supplied by Ironman!

We have also arranged for Ironman to provide some Kona spots for the fast guys and girls.

We will be providing timing matts and up to date tracking (sort of) via IronTrac!!!

We will so be allocating course records to those deserve them. No business books of records staff will be attending due to the slowish nature of the course.

If you can support "OneInARow" joins us at Port on May 7. If you haven't donated.....do so now!!!

7 people like this

you need to ride 200 watts to break 6 hours on the bike

No way, I rode 5.43 in NZ the other day off an average power of 168w. I thought NZ has more elevation gain, plus I doubt that wind on the weekend would be seen in Port Mac. If I rode 200w I think I would've split about 5.15

1 person likes this

Depending on the sort of power meter you use of course.

200w on my quarq would be about 5.30.

230 will be somewhere between 5.10 and 5.15. But ill confirm after May 7.

1 person likes this

Is boredAT racing it?

Nope I'm out. i didn't get a spot for Kona so they can get stuffed.

Accomodation is up for grabs if anyone is keen

Port Pacific Resort

1 bedroom self contained facing the river

4th to the 9th - 5 nights at $245 a night.

PM me if your keen

1 person likes this

Nope I'm out. i didn't get a spot for Kona so they can get stuffed.

You do know that it's not the local fair where 'every child wins a prize'!

66kg.

NP 175watts

Av power 155watts

Time : 5:50hrs

Normal Port conditions.

Calm on the first lap.

30kph headwind on the way out of town on the second lap, then a tailwind home.

1 person likes this

No way really?

No way, I rode 5.43 in NZ the other day off an average power of 168w. I thought NZ has more elevation gain, plus I doubt that wind on the weekend would be seen in Port Mac. If I rode 200w I think I would've split about 5.15

Big difference between 5.43 and 5.15 espually at NZ last weekend

Port is a harder course for time and watts than NZ

What was your NP power ?

Don't forget the special event on May 7th.

IronJimbo, IronPo, iFoz, IronmanFoz, IronMum and about 1500+ others will be attempting to do an Ironman all on the same day. We are calling it "OneInARow". My research says this has never been done before. Our charity is Ironman and we are accepting donations (read entry fee) up until sold out. Note: all donations will incur an "Active fee" of approx 8%.

Transport will be provided by bicycles and running shoes (insert your brand here).

All food will be provided by Ironman and volunteers, handing out sports drink/water/coke, cookies, bananas, gels and bars etc etc! Note: these will be deliver to you at you table/aid station.

Our motor home for the day will be a whopping big canvas tent supplied by Ironman!

We have also arranged for Ironman to provide some Kona spots for the fast guys and girls.

We will be providing timing matts and up to date tracking (sort of) via IronTrac!!!

We will so be allocating course records to those deserve them. No business books of records staff will be attending due to the slowish nature of the course.

If you can support "OneInARow" joins us at Port on May 7. If you haven't donated.....do so now!!!

Very funnie

All things being equal for a ~5h30m, whether you're 60 or 80kg, you will need about the same amount of power to ride within 5-10mins of each other.

With "all things being equal" and these two riders ride within 5-10min of each other with the same average power - will the 60kg rider be in front of the 80kg rider :shy:

I say of course he will be - it's simple physics - it takes more power to mover a heavier object across the same distance - and on top of that with 20-30% of the course being uphill - this multiplies the difference in power needed to move the heavier object :smartarse:

I thought that was our contemporary school system?

1 person likes this

Big difference between 5.43 and 5.15 espually at NZ last weekend

Port is a harder course for time and watts than NZ

What was your NP power ?

Agreed. No matter what the conditions I would not be able to ride the same time at port as I did at NZ last year.

E

With "all things being equal" and these two riders ride within 5-10min of each other with the same average power - will the 60kg rider be in front of the 80kg rider :shy:

I say of course he will be - it's simple physics - it takes more power to mover a heavier object across the same distance - and on top of that with 20-30% of the course being uphill - this multiplies the difference in power needed to move the heavier object :smartarse:

Exactly - using power numbers only to estimate time doesn't make any sense. Rider weight is keen.

It makes much more sense to compare riders with w/kg metric

What if the 60kg rider was on a Giant though?

3 people like this

It doesn't at all.

If I'm 60kg and my threshold is 250, my watts/kg is 4.1

If I'm 80kg and my threshold is 320, my watts/kg is 4.1

Based on your comment these riders are comparable because they have the same w/kg.

But consider this...

If both riders go at 250W for the entire course they will both get to the end at around the same time, give or take 5-10mins in favour of the lighter rider (10mins being generous here).

Now can you tell me which of the above is going to run and which will be walking?

Watts/kg is completely irrelevant to most triathlon courses, including Port. All that matters is absolute power vs drag/how aero you are.

Edited by Rog
2 people like this

Depends how good you look too. You know for instagram and all that.

3 people like this

Rog, I am not sure what point you are trying to make? If both riders put out the same power, of course they will get to the end around the same time and with a 20kg weight difference, one is going to be working harder for that power.

Out of interest I put this scenario through Best Bike Split using the IM course and weather from last year and my CdA.

Rider 1

62kg

FTP of 218W

3.51w/kg

157w

161w NP

0.72 IF

time= 5:27

effort - 2.53w/kg

Rider 2

82 kg

FTP of 288W

3.51w/kg

200 w

205w NP

0.71 IF

time=5:08

effort = 2:45w/kg

So at 'IM effort' the rider putting out the most watts wins. Kind of obvious.

AP said this

The watts you need for a sub 6hr bike depends on what you weigh mostly

Then someone said this

Exactly - using power numbers only to estimate time doesn't make any sense. Rider weight is keen.

My point is that the watts you need for a X bike split doesn't MOSTLY depend on weight, and that using watts/kg as a metric to predict triathlon performance over that course (and probably 99% of the tri courses in the world) is completely irrelevant.

1 person likes this

Mmm only just sub 6 unless your 60kgs

I rode an NP of 170w last year and did it in 5 and a half hours at 70kg. Can anyone say "Stages under-reads your power".

It doesn't at all.

If I'm 60kg and my threshold is 250, my watts/kg is 4.1

If I'm 80kg and my threshold is 320, my watts/kg is 4.1

Based on your comment these riders are comparable because they have the same w/kg.

But consider this...

If both riders go at 250W for the entire course they will both get to the end at around the same time, give or take 5-10mins in favour of the lighter rider (10mins being generous here).

Now can you tell me which of the above is going to run and which will be walking?

Watts/kg is completely irrelevant to most triathlon courses, including Port. All that matters is absolute power vs drag/how aero you are.

Aren't we talking about the bike leg only here?

You agreed with me that the light rider will arrive first confirming one of my points " weight" needs to be considered.

w/kg is irrelevant for this discussion. I agree with you.