RunBrettRun

Ironman Australia 2017

406 posts in this topic

AP ran past me in settlement point yesterday while I was "taking in the sights" as IP put it when he went past heading out.

1 person likes this

So who is the club champions after last years fark up?

One thing that I love about IM. Is catching up with people you see on an irregular basis but shared old memories. 

Waiting for the Beer Mile, I bumped into an old Trannie Shane Flannery. We were next to each other at IMOZ 2000. This year he and his son qualified for Hawaii. A great unassuming bloke that loves life (had a big health scare a while ago). 

On the last leg of the Beer Mile I stopped to talk with Paul Every and Di. 2 of the nicest people you would ever meet. BTW, congrats Paul on an amazing #30. Words cannot describe this guy. 

FM

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

One thing that I love about IM. Is catching up with people you see on an irregular basis but shared old memories. 

Waiting for the Beer Mile, I bumped into an old Trannie Shane Flannery. We were next to each other at IMOZ 2000. This year he and his son qualified for Hawaii. A great unassuming bloke that loves life (had a big health scare a while ago). 

On the last leg of the Beer Mile I stopped to talk with Paul Every and Di. 2 of the nicest people you would ever meet. BTW, congrats Paul on an amazing #30. Words cannot describe this guy. 

FM

Spot on

8 hours ago, Coffs Pete said:

Thanks for all of you getting me home Esp iFoz who came out of the Finishers tent to run with me fora few Kms organising aid stations for drinks and salt Had me sucking on pretzels to get the salt from them Before that I had 2 other Trannies from Grafton viz Tex and the Grafton Kid run several laps with me to get me home Anyway the Transitions Greyman placing is safe for another year Come to Beer Mile at 3:30 near the finish line for more stories from Tranny members Oh about Foz his coming out of the Finishers Area and trying to get back in was likened to a Gay bloke coming out of the closet then changing his mind and waning to go back in Not much chance of getting back into recovery area 

See you at 3:30pm OO ROO PETE 

Hey CP, you gave it a shake mate. These 17 hour cut offs are bullshit. They let you get away with murder! (Well not real murder! Just a figure of speech for the young viewers).  In the good old days the cut off was 15 and a half hours. So I will hang on to the title for another year.  

Now there's going to be some young whizz kid punching numbers in to his power metre or Fitbit trying to work out how I came last but finished an hour and twenty mins faster than you. It's gonna freak their brains out. Should we also tell them was races before the Internet? Could they handle that? 

Well done on another finish. Here's to number 16.

2 people like this

So did anyone go to the Awards gathering or did people just rock up for the Very Famous Beer Mile? 

Whilst I wouldn't say either gathering was anything to get too excited about, not going to either a Carbo or Awards "night" just leaves me feeling a little disconnected from the event this year. At least I got to see a few familiar faces at the Legends Lunch on Friday.

S&^t, WTC would have saved themselves a stack of money, as I didn't even redeem the $30 meals coupon.

So was the Awards a success that will be repeated next year? I presume a lot of Clubs may have turned up for that part of the proceedings?

Anyone go?

Warringah for Div1, not sure of the rest.

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

So did anyone go to the Awards gathering or did people just rock up for the Very Famous Beer Mile? 

Whilst I wouldn't say either gathering was anything to get too excited about, not going to either a Carbo or Awards "night" just leaves me feeling a little disconnected from the event this year. At least I got to see a few familiar faces at the Legends Lunch on Friday.

S&^t, WTC would have saved themselves a stack of money, as I didn't even redeem the $30 meals coupon.

So was the Awards a success that will be repeated next year? I presume a lot of Clubs may have turned up for that part of the proceedings?

Anyone go?

I thought it was good , but I usually don't go to awards or carbo anyways as they are boring as bat shite and just crap food and potaloos 

the food seemed reasonable with lots of different choices although I didn't eat feed back from who I was with was good 

i liked the idea of it being earlier in the day and much faster than usual awards 

not sure what they would do in the rain though

I think the informal set up basically saves them money. For first timers it's a bit of a let down. I thought for a first timer both carbo and preso is a big deal. Luckily I with Dave T get to go to the Legends lunch. Quieter and more interesting albeit short.

Well done to Ironman for thinking out of the box and making changes to a format that is to be honest stale...though I do like them.

Did it work...... That's the question. For me who pretty much trains alone and does not train with a club it's not the best format.... For groups that belong to clubs it's great. 

Also noticed that the full Ironman had 1115 starters - way down on previous years.....and I reckon only about 20-25% of them went to preso.

2 hours ago, Rog said:

Warringah for Div1, not sure of the rest.

Where was PISS and TOSS?

On 08/05/2017 at 5:12 AM, Rog said:

Great racing Hoffy. The guy that finished in front of you is a dickhead from Coffs Harbour who also happens to be a tranny :D

Well done Clint you just keep going back and getting better with each race. Hope you get a spot today if that's what you want!

Really wanted a slot, missed out due to the age group only having 3slots! 9:31was a decent day for me, would have been great to punch the ticket but I'll have to go quicker again sometime in the future!

On 08/05/2017 at 3:10 PM, Jon said:

His name is Greg Bush and he used to live in Darwin and wasn't seen much on the local scene until he moved to Brisbane a few years ago.  Over the last few years he has been winning all of the OD and sprint races in his AG but did not do too well in a Sunny Coast 70.3 a few years ago and swore off the long stuff.  Must have had a change of heart and trained for his first IM when he aged up to AP's group.  Back in the day he swam in the Comm Games so he has always been very quick in the water.  I must admit I thought AP would run him down after Greg Bush's sensational swim/bike but AP put only about 5 minutes into him on the run.  As usual, AP was like greased lightning in transition and caught up about 5 min. as a result - but it wasn't quite enough.

Who said it gets easier as you get older!

I know Greg. Spoke to him at the pool a few weeks ago. He was very confident of winning. He's also pencilled himself in for an age group win in Hawaii. Doesnt lack confidence. But good on him. Nice bloke.

5 hours ago, James said:

Where was PISS and TOSS?

Panthers Tri Club (PIS) came 3rd. 

I had a blast in Port Mac.  That bike course was such fun and nice to have some scenery.

Results not all I could hope for but I'm bloody satisfied. 

Swim: 1:05 right on target.  Loved crossing the weir, thought that was fun.

Bike: 6:00. 1st lap spot on with 2:52 but realised I might have been a bit over excited.  Slowed a bit on the 2nd but still ok.  bike course harder than I expected with the rolling hills.

Run: 4:58.  Developed blisters 5km in. What The F&*(!  1st lap ok then some major foot repair meant everything just slowed after that.  Lots of run/walk dealing with foot pain and suspected ITB pain the last 2 laps.  Still chuffed to push through and not just walk it.

Overall - 12:13.  Would have liked a sub 12 but thought not bad for me.  Faster than IM Melbourne by 4 mins :)

Totally blown away by the times of other guys in my age group ( 45-49).  Lots of sub 5:30 bike splits which blows me away as I always thought of myself as reasonably strong on the bike.  

Most important the Mrs had a good time spectating.  Her view is Port Mac is the best course for her of anything I've done.

I think that's my last Ironman though, I'll concentrate on sprints.  I'm pleased to go out with that result and no regrets.

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM, IronJimbo said:

Good point

Won't quite be the same without Cranky though  :(

Thanks IJ. Wish I could've been there 😭