• Other
    • I don't wear Hoka's
  2. 2. I buy my Hokas......

• Online - Overseas
    • Online - Australian Stores
    • Bricks and Mortar Store
    • Other
    • I don't wear Hoka's
  3. 3. When I need to replace my Hokas I will replace them wiith...

• The Same Model Hoka (i.e Clifton 3 with Clifton 3)
    • Newer version of same model Hoka (I.e Clifton replaced with Clifton 4)
    • Similar style shoe (Altra, Vasque, Brooks Transcend)
    • A more "mainstream" shoe
    • I don't wear Hoka's

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

130 posts in this topic

Morning Trannies!

As you'll get to know (disclaimer?) I'm about to open my own running store very shortly (hopefully). I'm looking into product selection and thought it'd be a good idea to ask the masses about things I don't know a lot about (with Roxii's permission).

As you'll be well aware, I've only come around to Hoka's in the last 6 months or so (I've even got them to Shuffla and Bored@ recently). I was always a non believer and I've always worn very minimalist shoes. But after talking a a few people and one very very good coach about benefits he's seen for both himself and some of his athletes, I think there is a place for them, for some people.

So I'd like to know the answers to the above questions and any other thoughts you might have on Hoka's. Would even appreciate those who have worn Hoka's and didn't like them or changed to something different to come forward and tell me why.

As a reward, everyone who contributes to this thread in a positive way will go into a hat and Roxii will pick one lucky person that get a free pair of shoes and socks from www.runwith.com.au (website will be down until Friday Lunch time).

Thanks,

willie@runwith.com.au (aka Hiltz)

p.s hang in there for the official store launch in a couple of weeks, will be a nice discount to be had. In the meantime, if you need something running related, shoot me a message and I'll see if I can work it out for you.

Edited by willie

Voted.

Good luck with it Willie

Cheers

NSF

1 person likes this

I really struggle with shoes because I run wonky.

When I first got into running I went to a Nike shop in the UK (big mistake) and they stuck me in a pair that almost crippled me.

So then I went to a running shop and they put me in a pair of Brooks Ghost 7s. It was a revelation. I ran my first Half Marathon in them (love how that distance is now just a cheeky training run), and trained and ran my first Olympic in them and then needed to replace them for a marathon. I was very sad to find very few places selling them any more so I thought I had better upgrade to the Ghost 8. Injured myself for two weeks after just 5k in them! Horrible shoe. So I then went through the process of buying up any leftover stock of Ghost 7s I could find. I've still got a couple of new pairs which I'm saving for Sydney Marathon this year...

Long term that's not going to work. So I'm currently running in a pair of Asics. I'm not in love with them but they're a lot better than the Ghost 8s.

From the sounds of it I could do with trying Hoka's but need someone knowledgeable to talk to me about which model would suit...

What would be REALLY useful is an online tool of "If you liked that then you'll like this" so people who ran well in a Ghost 7 could go and get a good suggestion for the similar shoe from other providers.

C

Good luck with the store. I'm pretty sure Hola are mainstream in the tri world now.

What would be REALLY useful is an online tool of "If you liked that then you'll like this" so people who ran well in a Ghost 7 could go and get a good suggestion for the similar shoe from other providers.

I'd love to be able to do something like that, but everyone is different. I do have a tool where I will recommend similar shoes (so a New Balance 1080 is similar to a Ghost for example). But they're slightly different shapes, have vastly different uppers and feel completely different. There is no gaurantee they'll feel better or the same as the Ghost 7.

If you need to ask a few questions happy for you to give me a call or email.

Thanks,

Willie

I have Stinsons. I don't like to run in them, because of how the huge sole affects your running, It doesn't feel as natural and as fluid to run in as a standard running shoe or a racing flat and they're certainly not quick. But I can run long distance (20km+) in them without getting sore, so I'll continue to buy them or similar shoes. Although I would like to explore alternatives. I think stocking Hokas is a safe bet, they are hugely popular.

Edited by zed

Why do ? I'm old. I've had a femur stress fracture.

Hokas. I don't like em. Esp the Bondi as I like race flats and they are a million miles away from them. . But I'll never run in them (flats) again. Think the Cliftons are a good shoe. Like the look of the Clayton's but I'm now injured and fat so comeback is in Bondis.

Edited by Mjainoz

Good luck with the store. I'm pretty sure HoKa are mainstream in the tri world now.

Yep, if you've been around a long time and know triathlon well. A lot of newbies to both running and triathlon know nothing of them and are reluctant to try them because they're so different to those "mainstream" brands (aka Rebel Sport brands).

I'm also trying to find a way of gettting their head around why a Hoka might be good for them when they first start out (I kinda thing they'd be a good choice for those who may not have great technique when first starting out).

1 person likes this

I think stocking Hokas is a safe bet, they are hugely popular.

It's not wether I will or wont stock Hoka (given the chance I will), it's more along the lines of the fitting process, what types of people and why would I fit Hoka's (I'm looking at reasons why I should be fitting more of them). MJA's response was one of those reasons, your's too for long runs etc and less impact on the body is another. That's good feedback! Thanks!

I have Stinsons. I don't like to run in them, because of how the huge sole affects your running, It doesn't feel as natural and as fluid to run in as a standard running shoe or a racing flat and they're certainly not quick. But I can run long distance (20km+) in them without getting sore, so I'll continue to buy them or similar shoes. Although I would like to explore alternatives. I think stocking Hokas is a safe bet, they are hugely popular.

I don't know much about shoes. What's the difference between a fast shoe and not? What difference would a fast shoe make in say a sprint tri?

I'm also trying to find a way of gettting their head around why a Hoka might be good for them when they first start out (I kinda thing they'd be a good choice for those who may not have great technique when first starting out).

A few years ago I woudl have said no, as I found the older Hokas to be very cushioning but inherently unstable which I think would only exacerbate any form issues, but now from what I have found they seem to be a slightly more stable platform and not just cushion for cushions sake.

1 person likes this

I'm getting to the point now where they have been on the market long enough to consider giving them a go. I like to allow radical departures from the normal a chance to be experimented on by others and wait to see if any adverse affects occur before jumping in. I'm off to buy a new set of runners tomorrow, next set in around 6 months time is when I will be looking at feedback and give them a go if the response is positive

I'd love to be able to do something like that, but everyone is different. I do have a tool where I will recommend similar shoes (so a New Balance 1080 is similar to a Ghost for example). But they're slightly different shapes, have vastly different uppers and feel completely different. There is no gaurantee they'll feel better or the same as the Ghost 7.

Thanks Willie. Once I've burnt through my last hoarded pairs of Ghost 7s then I will be in touch.

On the above the way to do it (with my work hat on) would be to try and to a really large consumer survey and people to choose all the shoes that they have liked running in... we could then run a simple machine learning algorithm on it and actually build quite a nice prediction model... I would be tempted to try and do this purely from an academic interest point of view!

I don't know much about shoes. What's the difference between a fast shoe and not? What difference would a fast shoe make in say a sprint tri?

“effect of carrying extra weight on the foot during running has been measured at 1 percent [increased aerobic demand] per 100 g per foot.
Not sure how accurate that is, but I run quicker in my Asics Hyperspeeds (200g) than my Noosas and Pegasus (both around 280g). Perhaps 2/3s per km quicker? But they're only good for sprints and possibly OD (for me anyway).
Edited by zed

I don't know the answer to this question, but is it a bad idea to recommend Hokas to someone who isn't injury prone and hasn't got any bio-mechanical issues? From my perspective, they serve as a tool to minimize injuries and DOMS, but other than that they're not particularly good running shoes and not great to run in.

Â

âeffect of carrying extra weight on the foot during running has been measured at 1 percent [increased aerobic demand] per 100 g per foot.â

Â

Not sure how accurate that is, but I run quicker in my Asics Hyperspeeds (200g) than my Noosas and Pegasus (both around 280g). Perhaps 2/3s per km quicker? But they're only good for sprints and possibly OD (for me anyway).

Oh okay - free speed is always good.

I haven't done a short tri where that would make a difference though.

Maybe something to think about if I do a sort tri again

On the above the way to do it (with my work hat on) would be to try and to a really large consumer survey and people to choose all the shoes that they have liked running in... we could then run a simple machine learning algorithm on it and actually build quite a nice prediction model... I would be tempted to try and do this purely from an academic interest point of view!

Mate if you want to jump on board and do something like this with data I'd be more than interested. Are you Sydney based?

I think the Sunshine Coast is the new home of the Hoka. Lots of people up there wearing them. Stocked at the local tri shop, Allez Sport.

The 'Stinson' sounds interesting...

1 person likes this

I tried em.

Liked em.

But they didn't have the support I needed and they broke me eventually.

If there is a newer model with a support arch, I could try again, mainly because I've been forced back to Asics.

so, if there is now a Hoka with something like a GT2000 type support, let me know.

Im not a fast runner and am on the heavier side at 92kg, so im a bit of a plodder and have a wide foot, normally i have worn NB 860 in a 4E width and have just kept getting the newer versions as they are released, but i didn't like the V7 they have bought out and now that im doing longer runs they were not offering me the comfort i am wanting / needing. so i got talking to the Hoka guys online after several of my friends recommended them to me and the Hoka guys recommended the Arahi Wide for me - I have done 4 runs in them and im not sure they are for me, they are not bad but there is a slight bit of discomfort on the outer left foot, seems to be easing each run i do but i will keep an eye on it. i like the extra cushioning, i really like it so hopefully over my next few long runs i feel the comfort in the left foot come back.

I intend on trying the Altra Paradigm's also, I've been recommended them by several people with more foot and shoe knowledge than ill ever have.

I intend on trying the Altra Paradigm's also, I've been recommended them by several people with more foot and shoe knowledge than ill ever have.

The Paradigm is a very very different shoe to what you've been wearing and one problem I can forsee, is that the Altra is a zero drop max style shoe. Bigger guys like us actually turn it into a negative drop shoe if you land anywhere near your heel (I run reasonably "flat" footed and felt it wasn't right). However, I can't get Altra's to work for me because the shape as well and this would have played a small part also. Just doesn't suit my foot in any way (I've got shallow, narrow feet).

Edited by willie

Ive got a trail / off road pair (cant remember the name). Feel great on the trails but not enough drop & now my brand new orthotics dont fit them properly. May have contributed to my achilles issue which Ive not had before. On podiatrist instructions I'll only use them for 1 of my 3 runs once Im back on solid ground (deep water running at the mo) & may not buy another pair.

Edit to say that many of my running buddies have them & love them, but disappointed Ive not had their luck with them

Edited by surfer101

Local tri shop up here sells them too. What I've found interesting is what people are willing to try out. I know of people up here that have been wearing Altra's, or the On Clouds (the racing models, less supportive) that are now trying Hoka's. I don't know if it's the 'triathlete willing to try the new stuff' bandwagon or not, but you are talking about dramatically different tech in the shoes?

I'd love to see you do an interview with roxii on your store once you're up and going! We know it wouldn't be about promoting yourself for free etc, cause we all know you. But I'd love to find out more about why you've gone down this route, what you plan to stock etc and what sort of services.

I think it could be a tough industry to break in to because of the big generics out there, that will fit people based on a cookie cutter set of criteria and a thumbs with left at the front of your shoes ;)

An example of what I mean, is our local store stocks brands like Hoka, Altra, On and Mizuno (you don't see much of Mizuno in stores up here), so he's offering what others don't, but he doesn't have the regulars you see everywhere. Will you be going that way?

Sorry to thread jack, just a thought.

If I hadn't had the issue with my knee cap, I think I'd be all over these. For people like me who don't care about brand or image, and just want to be able to run regardless of time etc, the extra cushioning might have kept me going longer.

But the are so many opposing theories on all this out there, and every one of them send to have their merits while often contradicting each other. And the wrong advice to the wrong person could have a lasting affect on them. Would love to know more of your approach.

Oh, and get xtenex laces!

Edited by goughy
1 person likes this

I like them, just for the cushioning. I do find they are unstable though unless you are on flat roads (Bondi's).

I think I'll try the off road shoes they have next.