pippen

Half Iron Enduro Format

37 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, pippen said:

Lots of talk on my facebook about just straight 4 x Sprints vs having time cutoffs where athlete comes under time, can rest up with time bonuses for placings that would used in last race.

Thoughts?

as a slow person, the cut-off of 1.15 would deter me from signing up. it could be an expensive trip to do one sprint

i prefer the enduro of continuing around or making the cut of a little longer for the 5 to 6hr 1/2 person

I would also be another who would have struggled with the 1:15 time.  Actually, with pacing myself over 4 events, I doubt I could have made the 1:15.  I mean, you're basically saying to do that you have to be under 5hrs for HOTW, and some of us weren't even close to that yet could do something like this.  I think the time cut off needs to at least be 1:30, and maybe even 1:40 for guys.

Don't judge me peeps - I was slow.

I think 90 minutes per sprint. 

Makes 6 hr cutoff. 

To be honest I'd prefer 100 minutes. 

1 person likes this

You don't get pulled out of race if you don't meet times, you just keep going but means you would be behind the rest of field and with no rest

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, pippen said:

You don't get pulled out of race if you don't meet times, you just keep going but means you would be behind the rest of field and with no rest

I still reckon 1-15 is too fast 

the money and numbers in this sport are there to be had by the slower athlete so u have to cater for them

I reckon just make it continuous and the first over the line wins

edit to add

this may be a problem with water safety though

Edited by ironpo
1 person likes this

No need to have the same set time for all events.  Have the first race as 1.20, people will be more fatigued so make the second 1.25, third 1.30 and final cut off 1.45 for a total of 6 hours for the event.  Everyone goes out a bit harder at the start, but gets rewarded with more rest time as they start to fatigue, but still need to go hard in the final event if they are racing for sheep stations

Whatever the final decision it has to be bloody clear as confused people will just not do it.

Don't over-complicate it. 4 x sprint will be hard enough for the punters to work out what they're meant to be doing anyway, why would you want to add to the confusion.

A rest in between would give time to put on a wetsuit for the next swim - personally I like that idea.

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

No need to have the same set time for all events.  Have the first race as 1.20, people will be more fatigued so make the second 1.25, third 1.30 and final cut off 1.45 for a total of 6 hours for the event.  Everyone goes out a bit harder at the start, but gets rewarded with more rest time as they start to fatigue, but still need to go hard in the final event if they are racing for sheep stations

I like this idea but in the reverse, that way the pressure builds

Is the medal going to have 4 parts?
One for each sprint.  But they all link if you finish all 4?
Would be a nice touch

Like below

8BYmD6Gj5GhCL5L0CN8G.jpg

Yep thinking we will just make 4 x sprints back to back

Yep will be a 4 part medal, where you can get your time put in each section