Flanman

How often do you ride your TT bike

30 posts in this topic

So for those that have road and TT (plus those that have multiples of everything :smile1: ), how often do you ride your TT ? Do you ride it a bit, a lot, 50/50, occasionally, only during race season in training etc? Also, how close is the set-up to each other (i.e. fitted) or do you just adjust both for your feel/fit ?

The reason I asked is that I have been riding the same road bike for a number of years (with clip-ons) :shy: but will flick over to a TT bike after my Tour de Cure ride. It hasn't been fitted so I may just do the feel/fit. I just want to be careful the a change is posture etc that may cause a few problems. I want to use it at the KWC in April and Port in May.

Any other things to think about ?

Thanks

FM

Edited by Flanman

I have both - although my road bike is really a cyclocross style.

I would say 60/40 in favour of the TT bike. TT gets used for targeted training sessions and races, the roadie gets used for cruisy rides, or when I am doing a ride up the hill.

I ride mostly on my road bike. Will switch to the TT for the last four weeks of riding before a race (and only do 3-4 of those per year). Feel safer on open roads on a road bike when ride on my hoods with quick access to braking if required. When riding the TT find don't spend as long down on the aerobars as would in a race because of taking more caution approaching intersections and roundabouts etc so sitting up with hands over brakes

70/30 to the roadbike for me. Although on the TT my intensity is usually more targeted than on the roadie.

I ride 2-3 times during the week, with the weekday rides being 60 minutes to 90 minutes on the roadie, usually hill repeats. On the weekends 3+ hours cycling, usually on the TT as I do ride mostly on my own and I get the ride done faster!

Ive only got a TT bike so everytime i ride, its on her (the bike)

Me too. Been in tris since 1989....... rode a road bike once or twice...... it was terrible. Race and Train solely on a TT bike. Comfort plus......road bike just feels awkward.

About 60/40 Road vs TT. Will ride the TT for the entire 16-20 week training block for an IM, so that I get into an aero postion for longer come race day.

When training for Tris. 100 pct of the time.

Last 6 years my road bikes would not have done 1000ks total.

Have one tri bike for racing and one older aluminium one, same position etc on the trainer or wet days b races etc.

I use my TT bike as little as possible, much prefer the road bike but I did come from a cycling background. I ride the TT bike enough until my ftp is around 15-20w less than my roadie. Usually that takes about 2-3 weeks of threshold intervals 2-4 times per week, plus 1-2 long rides to hold the position if I'm preparing for a longer race. With my first IM being NZ, I've now been on the TT bike exclusively for about 6 weeks, hating it!

Long flat rides would be on the TT. Mountain rides on the roadie (TT has only 1 ring), as with rides in traffic.

I haven't had a road bike for several years, so if I'm riding then it's on my TT bike.

I rode it in a sprint race a week or so ago, and that was my first time on it since the Sunny Coast 70.3 World Champs last year... And the bike is still my fastest leg (beats me how).

Also, I've never had a bike fit on any bike, I just adjust it till I'm comfy and that'll do.

1 person likes this

The reason I asked is that I have been riding the same road bike for a number of years (with clip-ons) :shy: but will flick over to a TT bike after my Tour de Cure ride. It hasn't been fitted so I may just do the feel/fit. I just want to be careful the a change is posture etc that may cause a few problems. I want to use it at the KWC in April and Port in May.

Any other things to think about ?

Why not just start doing a few 'short' rides on your TT bike now. It will help condition your arms and body to get used to it a bit before swapping over after the TDC.

I reckon mixing it up a little bit now is better for your overall conditioning and prevention of overuse injuries anyway. Just make sure that you just 'ease' yourself into it. If you start getting any soreness then back it off a bit and adjust your position slightly. If you listen to your body then you should be able to find a position that is both comfortable and that still allows you to apply power to the pedals.

1 person likes this

My road bike is a tad small so I'm always on the TT bike whenever I'm on the road. I have the mtb which get's ridden once a week, maybe twice if I can find the time.

My school of thought is that when you are doing specific work towards your race season it should be done in your race position (tt bike) but during build phase of your training or your offseason it's a lot more enjoyable sitting up on a roadie, whichever bike you are riding it shouldn't matter a great deal as long as they are both setup correctly and you are riding often.

A good read regarding this subject from Mat steinmetz, explains the subject well (particularly the pictures re the position shift around the bb)

http://www.fiftyonespeedshop.com/single-post/2016/09/12/Road-Positions-for-Triathletes

Edited by clintred

It'd be interesting to know the % of time Tony Martin spends on a TT bike in training.

I used to share between them but have now handed the roadie over to the missus to try and get here coming out with me for the Sunday easy ride... so far she's found excuses every time but I'm plugging away!

I love my TT bike... It's also a fancier bike than my basic roadie and I feel the benefit of spending some time in the drops even on easy rides to get used to the position.

Shamefully, I only have one bike... (OK, I also have a MTB but that doesn't count here)

On average I do 4 rides a week. My TT bike sits on my trainer which is where I do 3 of the 4 rides. One group ride with mates per week is on the roadie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While in the UAE, it was 4 days a week ( basically every ride ). Here in Thailand, it's only Sundays. I ride the roady 3 days a week after work as the TT bike is too risky when it gets dark.

I ride my road bike mostly. In a perfect week I ride 3 times with the local cycling club all 3 rides I find hard especially sunday there is a lot of good banter and bullshit with the cyclist v triathlete , I do pull rank on em though when I have too that the group ride was originally a triathlete ride back in the late 80's early 90's so they should be privileged to ride with me...lol

Back on topic the TT bike I do pull out every now and then but I am very mindful and just sit of the back by 10 meters or so and dont get in their way.

1 person likes this

Before last weekend I rode my tt race bike once per week on the road and used my roadie twice per week on my wt. No more! My tt got rear ended by silly car driver at traffic lights on Princes Higheay Arncliff and 'tis now deceased. I'm banned by wifie from riding on the road ever again (except for tris and event rides) so looks like it'll be 3 wt sessions per week from now on.

2 people like this

Sorry to hear that Andrew. My wife tried to ban me from the road and then I fell of the wind trainer (reaching for a towel). She just gave up aftet that and got better life insurance.

5 people like this

Sorry to hear that Andrew. My wife tried to ban me from the road and then I fell of the wind trainer (reaching for a towel). She just gave up aftet that and got better life insurance.

[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji106]

That's funny as

Hope you recovered fine

1 person likes this