ironpo

Caden disk , very cool

54 posts in this topic

It's a nice looking disc. I need a new wheelset, shame Caden don't do a disc though...

14 hours ago, zed said:

Ha ha right.. well my Mummy says I'm special. I want my disc.

I got a zipp 900 disk I could sell u 

1 hour ago, ironpo said:

I got a zipp 900 disk I could sell u 

Hey mate, yeah I saw your ad. Getting rid of my Zipps, was looking at trying something different, maybe Caden or Flos. Does the Caden disc use a foam core or is a spoked disc like the Flo?

Reply from Ben Cawood yesterday:

the disc is already out but have too many back orders to release publicly yet. Send a quick email if you want to get on the list and I'll send more pics ect in about two weeks as made one last change to aesthetics but structure is finally set.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, roxii said:

It's a spoked wheel with a carbon skin/ cover. 

What difference does it make? Is one better than the other? 

The foam core ones are stiffer and make a better noise. 

The spoked ones are a bit more compliant to ride and can be made lighter if done right but don't make as good a noise. 

Ben is hoping to get me a test disc soon so I'll be able to give you a better first hand report 

2 people like this

46 minutes ago, roxii said:

The foam core ones are stiffer and make a better noise. 

The spoked ones are a bit more compliant to ride and can be made lighter if done right but don't make as good a noise. 

Ben is hoping to get me a test disc soon so I'll be able to give you a better first hand report 

Cool. I've just sold my Renn which had a foam core, great wheel, fast, stiff and made a great noise like a 747 taking off! Sold it as it was 10 speed and didn't want to bother paying to get it converted to 11 speed. 

I wasn't very impressed with my mates Flo disc, spoked wheel with carbon cover, was quite a bit heavier than my Renn 1.35kg vs 1.1kg and sounded like a drum being banged whenever you hit a slight hole/bump in the road. With later models they did use foam to reduce this noise. But it looked pretty cheapo. Funny because it seems Flo can do no wrong in a lot of people's eyes.

Be interested to know how the Caden disc goes, especially weight.

Edited by zed

39 minutes ago, zed said:

Cool. I've just sold my Renn which had a foam core, great wheel, fast, stiff and made a great noise like a 747 taking off! Sold it as it was 10 speed and didn't want to bother paying to get it converted to 11 speed. 

I wasn't very impressed with my mates Flo disc, spoked wheel with carbon cover, was quite a bit heavier than my Renn 1.35kg vs 1.1kg and sounded like a drum being banged whenever you hit a slight hole/bump in the road. With later models they did use foam to reduce this noise. But it looked pretty cheapo. Funny because it seems Flo can do no wrong in a lot of people's eyes.

Be interested to know how the Caden disc goes, especially weight.

IP quoted weight earlier didn't he... well below 1kg

Pic from the web. Looks cool. 860grams apparently.

15538335_1179341062119139_45730444897230

Edited by zed

18 minutes ago, zed said:

Pic from the web. Looks cool. 860grams apparently.

15538335_1179341062119139_45730444897230

Mine is 740 grams and looks way cooler than that

3 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Mine is 740 grams and looks way cooler than that

Did Caden do the graphics for you?

2 minutes ago, zed said:

Did Caden do the graphics for you?

No

my brother in law did em for me

ab3e1b97b01f4bbcff50819ecff8f2c2.jpg

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, ironpo said:

No

my brother in law did em for me

ab3e1b97b01f4bbcff50819ecff8f2c2.jpg

Out of interest IP, why the turtle? Any significance there, or you just liked the graphic?

FWIW I think it looks great.

The flo I had was a fair bit faster than my zipp 900 :I

Sure maybe not quite the quality of others but shit, $700 brand new when I bought mine. 

9 hours ago, willie said:

The flo I had was a fair bit faster than my zipp 900 

HUGE  call there

at the end of the day I would reckon there is only 10secs over 40k between all wheels 

unless u are going up any hills then the zipp and the Caden would be faster as the flow is so much heavier 

10 hours ago, Hoffy86 said:

Out of interest IP, why the turtle? Any significance there, or you just liked the graphic?

FWIW I think it looks great.

The honu (turtle) is very symbolic to the Hawaiian people, and I love Hawaii 

plus it looks call and they are amazing creatures to see in the wild

2 people like this

How are Caden able to make a similarly designed wheel to Flo that is half the weight??

26 minutes ago, zed said:

How are Caden able to make a similarly designed wheel to Flo that is half the weight??

Having had quite a few discussions with Ben, I think I can safely say that its his attention to detail.

Ben could have had his discs and other products to market in a perfectly acceptable form by now but he isn't really about "perfectly acceptable" he is about making the best products he can at any given time.   Financially at this point in time its probably not the best strategy, but Ben is playing the long game and would rather wait a little while and only put to market products that he believes are the best he can make at that point in time. He wants his wheels to be world class, if they aren't already, and wants to build a strong reputation of quality and innovation, not just putting stuff to market because he needs to recoup his investment, which is quite substantial!!! 

A lightweight disc has been on Bens radar since I started speaking with him, and the disc as it is now is not how he originally envisaged it (it was originally to be more like a "Lightweight" brand wheel) , but due to changes in materials, manufacturing processes and tolerances Ben has had to rethink things along the journey. 

28 minutes ago, roxii said:

Having had quite a few discussions with Ben, I think I can safely say that its his attention to detail.

Ben could have had his discs and other products to market in a perfectly acceptable form by now but he isn't really about "perfectly acceptable" he is about making the best products he can at any given time.   Financially at this point in time its probably not the best strategy, but Ben is playing the long game and would rather wait a little while and only put to market products that he believes are the best he can make at that point in time. He wants his wheels to be world class, if they aren't already, and wants to build a strong reputation of quality and innovation, not just putting stuff to market because he needs to recoup his investment, which is quite substantial!!! 

A lightweight disc has been on Bens radar since I started speaking with him, and the disc as it is now is not how he originally envisaged it (it was originally to be more like a "Lightweight" brand wheel) , but due to changes in materials, manufacturing processes and tolerances Ben has had to rethink things along the journey. 

I've also a lot of conversations with Ben over the time of his disk build and I would agree completely with what Roxii has outlined here

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Great, thanks for that Roxii. I wasn't really considering Cadens for a new wheelset, but they are increasingly looking like a pretty good option! Not in a rush, so will wait for the disc to come to market, I'm guessing that will be in the next month or so?