longshot

Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR)

302 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Alex Simmons said:

It's both terribly sad and terribly unsurprising.

Condolences to friends and family.

So true

They were interviewing some truckie union bloke on Today Tonight about this race earlier in the week, as he was concerned for his members whilst this race was on. ie Trucks,cars etc not being able to see riders well enough during certain times of the day. 

This is terrible news. Condolences to his family, friends and cycling mates.

Very sad news and condolences to those near and dear to Mike Hall. The riders have certainly opened minds and shown that normal people can achieve the seemingly impossible given a positive mind set. As with climbing Everest such extreme sports have risks, but heck, anytime you ride on roads or swim in oceans there are risks. Tomorrow's 4.5hr ride will be done on the trainer and it will seem so easy. RIP.

Faaaark.... so so sad. Always sad, yes. But as others have said, you feel connected by watching the dots and reading the updates.

Terrible. Terrible. 

2 people like this

this is the most i have ever felt touched by the death of someone i don't know or have no connection to.  to be honest, after watching what these people have done, i felt compelled to give it a go.   i am not a good bike rider, but watching this and watching these people having a crack at something that seems so out of the ordinary for nothing but their own sense of accomplishment really hits a nerve for me.  that's my reason for riding, running and swimming.  

for some reason i felt connected to mike as an underdog battling away.   he had a smile and a mannerism that connected to me... through social media. 

i am far from a religious person, far from it.  but i find myself hoping that mike is riding his bike somewhere with the same smile.  

ride on mike.   ride on...  

farken shame.    

7 people like this

I worked at 12 hour shift in a prison today. working with scum bags. I have come home hoping to find glee in the race I have been following. My work area , I can't follow the real world until I leave the prison walls. I was hoping to see the first few finishers across the line. I am hurt and in a state of shock. It is a very noble gesture to suspend the race in absolute total respect for Mike. Rest in peace buddy..:(

2 people like this

Kristof has posted a photo of his bike in front of the Opera House.

1 person likes this

I know a competitor and met a few more - we even had one stay in our BnB. I rode out of town with two, I love distance cycling but feel completely gutted by this, I'm not sure I'm riding this weekend. I've been "dot watching" for two weeks now and only last night was watching Mike on video. I've ridden bikes for more years than I care to remember but this has brought me to tears 

Vale Mike Hall.

Agree with all the above.

Hard to turn the pedals in anger on the way home from work.
Just caressed them softly and thought about that race.
Not scared of cars ... but no longer driven to ride hard, motivated by those cyclists, like I was 8 hours earlier

That event intrigued as all huh.
Even at post ride coffee this morn I and a few others talked about how many inspirational stories there are from the last 2 weeks ... then pfffft! I arrive at work to find it's turned tragic

Kristoff didn't even finish
All contestants pack up and hitch and fly home
No winner ... just a footnote in the cycling year

I only wish someone had gotten hold of Mikes tracker got it to Kristoff and had him finish the race.

kristoff deserved to finish and to "win", the race deserved an ending. I still hope somebody rides through to the end. 

Now can somebody please post something in the "good news thread" this day has me feeling as bad as I have in a long time. 

This is terrible. I was just starting lunch and about to check Trannies and this thread when a colleague called me over to ask if I knew anything about this. So very sad and my condolences to Mike's family.

I don't care if you are a swimmer, cyclist, runner, multisporter. There is something intangible about being a member of the endurance community and the joy and suffering we go through makes tragedies like this hit very close to our hearts.

2 people like this

Tearing again guys, stop it.

I just got an email from a work colleague in Melbourne who asked if I'd seen the news. Broke up over it. They say some people harden up to this type of thing when they see it a lot. I think it has the opposite effect on cyclists, as there is always the thought "It could be me". I listen to the road report every morning now that I drive to the station a lot, and every time I hear "Car and bike" I feel sick. Something needs to change the attitude of drivers out there.

At least I haven't come across any of the usual comments from the rednecks we get in the courier mail after a cyclist is hit.

Agree with everything above and yes this is incredibly sad for Mike's family, friends, the cycling community and probably anyone who dares to dream.

It's also an incredibly terrible time for the driver of the vehicle and those close to them.  I know we often criticise drivers when they are in the wrong, but sometimes they are not in the wrong... they are just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have no idea of the circumstances of this accident, and no doubt there will be a lot of speculation, but I do know that some accidents can happen to every single one of us no matter how careful we are.  I feel for all the parties involved - the driver, the rider, the race organisers, and anyone else that this terrible accident has effected .  My thoughts are with you.

1 person likes this

In regard to 'finishing' Mike's ride, I know it's only early but maybe that could be a charity ride one day.  What a great way to not only honour Mike, but to also show appreciation to all the riders for showing us that sometimes you've just got to have a go.  Just a thought.

Edited by Go Easy
Like everyone else, just lost trying to find the right words...

I haven't been following this event at all. It's obviously a very, very sad day but I feel no more sadness than when any other cyclist dies needlessly. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach every time it happens and simply reinforces my decision to stay off the road.

Stay safe out there.

Davin Harding's post to Facebook.

"I don't have questions, comments, opinions and blame, just sad.
So will refer to my default setting. 
Go for a ride."

His wife thinks he will continue on to Sydney solo just to get it finished. 

This was on Juliana Buhring's (Juju) Facebook.

Tomorrow, Sunday, those of us cyclists who have managed to get to Sydney will pay tribute to our friend and ultracycling legend, Mike Hall, by riding to Sydney Opera House and the end of the Indian Pacific Wheel Race. I would like to invite cyclists around the world to join us in honouring this man who has inspired so many to ride their bikes. From Sunday, April 2 to Sunday, April 9, I ask cyclists around the world to show Mike's family our love and support by taking a ride in his honour. Ride alone, with a buddy or a group. Cycle somewhere special or new, take a pic and post with the hashtag #InspiredByMike. Let's show the world how much one man's life has affected many. He has created a legacy that will continue and live on in all of us. Thank you Mike.

Image may contain: 1 person, ocean, outdoor and nature

I haven't really ridden for nearly 2 years now, but tomorrow I'm going to get out. Even if it's just on the flat to the village & back.

Maybe a trannies ride somewhere?

2 people like this

About a thousand of us rolled across the line this morning paying tribute to Mike.

Kristoff laid flowers on the steps of the opera house...i chatted to him afterwards for about 15 minutes 

20170402_080930.jpg

8 people like this

26 minutes ago, Shrek said:

About a thousand of us rolled across the line this morning paying tribute to Mike.

Kristoff laid flowers on the steps of the opera house...i chatted to him afterwards for about 15 minutes 

20170402_080930.jpg

Wow

Any news on whats happening with the driver and the police?

I feel for them, seeing all the outpouring of support for Mike.  We obviously dont know, but there may be very little their fault in the accident

1 person likes this