longshot

Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR)

310 posts in this topic

Though I just see on Twitter that  it was a motorbike and not a cyclist. Bit confusing. 

Horrible news either way, but really hope its not Mike. 

Almost feel like I know these guys now! 

2 people like this

RIP ....terribly !!

condolences to the family...!!

there was only one rider in that area...

Someone needs to turn his tracker off now. Moving at 100kmh.

15 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Someone needs to turn his tracker off now. Moving at 100kmh.

They have reset his position to the ACT border where he was stopped.

Also - Jacqui Bernadi has apparently stopped in Bright and turned off her tracker to spend some time in reflection.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/grave-concerns-indian-pacific-wheel-race-rider-mike-hall-unidentified-cyclist-dies-crash/

Race is now cancelled effective immediately. 

17635394_410448189330571_5254322411981815737_o.png

They couldn't really do anything else, in the circumstances 

1 person likes this

this has smashed me

i don't know what to say or think 

below is a post by nitro from the cyclingtips site that I think sums it up for Me and probably many on here and around the world

For the last 13 days, thousands of us all over the world have sat glued to maps of Australia watching dots speed across the country.

Every life lost on our roads is a tragedy, but somehow this feels different.

I've never met any of the riders, I likely never will, and this type of event is an challenge I could not even imagine taking on. But over the last 13 days it feels like we've got to know at least some of the riders.

We've cheered while watching dots moving across the screen, we've been glued to Twitter, we've marvelled at the photos and videos coming in from the course, we've had countless social media conversations with complete strangers across the world addicted to following the event, and our admiration for everyone undertaking this adventure has grown in a way none of us expected.

There are bike races going on every day of the year. Yet somehow - and I have yet to work out why - this one has captured the imagination of the public like none before.

For someone to lose their life while undertaking what must be one of the greatest adventure challenges possible on a bike - Tragic beyond words.

Thoughts are with the family and friends of the rider, and all riders on this dark day

Edited by ironpo
8 people like this

Agreed IP.

Words are really hard to find and just seem inadequate.

Dreadful news and concur, no words can come close to the sadness I feel about this.

My thoughts go out to all.

I read Nitro's words in cycling tips and thought that it pretty much summed it up for a lot of us. We were totally enthralled in the little coloured spots moving tiny amounts across the screen day in day out, wondering how they keep it up. When I read the story this morning I had tears welling in my eyes. How could it happen? A guy comes halfway round the world to race across our continent, gets 9/10 of the way across, and suddenly he isn't with us any longer.

I'm absolutely gutted and devastated, and I've never met or spoken to him. I can't even imagine what his family and friends are going through.

3 people like this

26 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yep, I went from taking a "passing interest" as they started, to being intrigued at seeing the miles covered in the first few days.

Then it started to be about the human stories of injury, illness, breakdowns, restarts and helping hands.

The last few days have been about the race and the tactics involved in managing food, fatigue and sleep. 

I was exactly the same...passing interest to regular check-ins and engaging with all the riders. A small, small part of me even started asking if it would be possible for me to do one day.  What would it take to prepare for something like this? Then, reality hits...

This is so sad. 

It's both terribly sad and terribly unsurprising.

Condolences to friends and family.

1 person likes this

RIP Mike Hall….

For me, today had started as a sunny day…with the excitement of watching some dots on a screen avoiding work, as they worked their way to the finish line….i would have loved to have been able to spin through the National Park, awaiting the race leaders, alas work was unavoidable…

Tiredness from lack of sleep fed with coffee, having watching the dots overnight…the “when will the reach Sydney” anticipation..

Eagerly awaiting to possibly catch the riders as they went almost past our house, and straight past my workplace and cheer them on.

I’m sometimes considered crazy, however these guys are the ones cycling from Perth to Sydney, the hard way…unsupported, along the dead straight Nullarbor, then the Alps etc

Mike had been in second place for most of the race it is current at Day 13, and he kept the race alive and exciting over the past few days taking the race lead a few times as it snaked its way through the Victorian Alps region.

Whilst I didn’t know you personally Mike, we certainly feel we got to know you, your battle with Kristoff and the interviews in the race videos keeping us animated and on the edge of our seats.

Unfortunately you didn’t get to see Sydney or the finish line….

1 person likes this