longshot

Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR)

302 posts in this topic

Might be of interest, bike race from Perth to Sydney

https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/

Apparently the top ultra-cyclists are in, including Jesse Carlson and Sarah Hammond from Australia but also two others in what is being presented as a head-to-head duel. Goes through Adelaide and Melbourne, Kew Boulevard.

Not really my thing, as all about being able to survive on a few hours sleep a day, and people do fall asleep when riding and crash. But like the Sydney to Melbourne ultra marathon(s), I find them interesting, and the Cliff Young story is a legend. Now with trackers, the web and the social media reports and footage including drones and bike cameras etc makes following the event interesting, although a bit voyeuristic :)

Met someone doing it when riding back from Geelong after watching Cadel's race. Eastern Beach is nice in summer, and is the jewel of Geelong, looked so good that day that HIM Geelong almost seemed to beckon :)

INSANE. Was chatting to jesse in Adelaide at the TDU. ripping good guy. Rode to Adelaide in 2 days from melb for a warm up

Edited by Peter

Durrianrider, the Vegan YouTube guy is also doing it. Will be very interesting to see how he goes!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

INSANE. Was chatting to jesse in Adelaide at the TDU. ripping good guy. Rode to Adelaide in 2 days from melb for a warm up

Cycling Mavan has some good YouTube vlogs of that trip too. There's not enough chamois cream in the world that would get me though that

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Driving west (or back) theres plenty of mostly Japanese doing it with tonnes of baggage. Apparently its a status thing when they go home to say theyve done it. Insane.

600+ kms on day one for the leaders. 

Crazy stuff 

5 hours ago, roxii said:

600+ kms on day one for the leaders. 

Crazy stuff 

Wow

i wonder how long that will last

i reckon the winner will need to average over 500k a day 

32 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Durian rider DNF 

Soft cock. He was never going past Adelaide. 

Maven is half as fit prob less and Rupert Guinness will finish and they both have jobs. Not just rants on YouTube. 

4 people like this

Unfortunately looks like Jesse had to pull the pin as well. HE was around third or fourth when injury forced retirement.

Exciting event, will be following. 

Sarah Hammond is still going really well, she is a machine!

Kristof Allegaert and Mike Hall have just gone over the 'summit' of 400m, and are now on the 400km  downhill run  to sea level: at a gradient of 1m/1km :)

Great website mapmyprogress, just needs weather  integrated, rain and wind ...

Edited by longshot

2 of by riding buddies, Seb Dunne and Nathan Versey both doing it. Seb pushed through Norseman earlier, and when I checked the next town ... Cocklebiddy, 423km away, population 8.

if you zoom in on the tracker you can see riders stopped and moving. You can see where they are stopped, like what building, in these remote places.

seb has stopped by the side of the road by the looks and 2 riders just gradually moved past ... all on the live GPS tracking.

rapha tweeted some photos ... raining!

poor bastards.

soggy shorts for 500km would bring me undone

the other thing about this race is they are fully self sufficient. To external support, so they'd have to carry 400km worth of water .

And no drafting ... haha ... hope they have more draft busting marshals on the Nullarbor than some of our triathlons

Sarah Hammond, winner of Race to the Rock - by 3 days beating a field of 20 men :)

1 person likes this

Be interesting if could  watch from satellites with real-time imagery, like those military ones in the movies. Next level reality TV. I find it more interesting than watching ironman,  or even the grand tours, maybe just the epicness of it, small numbers, amateur (i.e. no prize money), and the vast outback desert  ...

2 people like this

It is so slow and yet so absorbing. Makes you wonder why test cricket is dying.

1 person likes this

Looks like they pushed on whilst we all slept huh

kristoff 1148km in 2 days.

my mate Seb, 969km, now looks like he's have a lie in and some abandoned airport/ refinery thing.

doubt very much that they serve a good steak 👎🏼

A guy I  know Daven Harding is doing it.  He is already talking crazy shit on his FB posts.  Seems to be going loopy already.  

11 hours ago, Charlesn said:

2 of by riding buddies, Seb Dunne and Nathan Versey both doing it. Seb pushed through Norseman earlier, and when I checked the next town ... Cocklebiddy, 423km away, population 8.

if you zoom in on the tracker you can see riders stopped and moving. You can see where they are stopped, like what building, in these remote places.

seb has stopped by the side of the road by the looks and 2 riders just gradually moved past ... all on the live GPS tracking.

rapha tweeted some photos ... raining!

poor bastards.

soggy shorts for 500km would bring me undone

the other thing about this race is they are fully self sufficient. To external support, so they'd have to carry 400km worth of water .

And no drafting ... haha ... hope they have more draft busting marshals on the Nullarbor than some of our triathlons

How are they even carryinf that much? Big panniers? Trailers?

Seen folks doing it(mainly Japanese) with panniers etc

The leader is 1200K in.  Not even half way to Adelaide yet. Farking insane

maven at 600K

Your mate Bored@ is at 725K this morning.

1 minute ago, The Turtle said:

How are they even carryinf that much? Big panniers? Trailers?

Seen folks doing it(mainly Japanese) with panniers etc

They have strapped most to aerobars.

You can see here