Debi: swim 35:54 / bike 2:50 / run 1:53:36

John: swim 1:09 / bike 5:54 / run 4:06

Supamau    93

Day 5 (wed) was pretty tough.

The blog is worth a read.

http://www.mm.events/iron-century/daily-commentary/day-5-tough-toughest-yet/

Debi: swim 34 / bike 2:53 / run 1:55:30

John: swim 1:16 / bike 5:52 / run 4:05

I bet John could have slept in the motor home easily after what hes been through, why bother going back and forth home. If I recall right, the iron cowboy was sleeping in his motor home travelling between states... Go John!!!

goughy    1,968

Probably illegal to sleep in it at the park.

With regards to missing the massages, probably a choice between massage and more sleep...... sleep won!

Turts    1,926

Still cranking out consistent splits, despite all the issues

roxii    3,944

Still cranking out consistent splits, despite all the issues

Yep, as I said previously I dont think the "athletic" part will give them too much drama, they are both cruising well and in surprisingly good spirits, but its all the "other stuff" that has the chance of giving them unnecessary grief and stress that will add up if not addressed.

I think the one real thing that John has in his favour is that he is naturally a (sub) 10 hour athlete so he will have a decent buffer to get by when things do go wrong.

• Like 2

ironpo    2,737

Day 4 (Tuesday)

Debi: swim 37 / bike 2:52 / run 1:55

John: swim 1:14 / bike 5:53 / run 3:59

Thanks for updat roxi

But can u post the total time , or is this info classified?

Lol

ozzybuds    222

Jeepers, even if the wheels fall off now...... what he has done so far is seriously impressive.

• Like 2

roxii    3,944

Thanks for updat roxi

But can u post the total time , or is this info classified?

Lol

I don't have the total times, and to be honest Im not sure if they are keeping that.

Other than the pool opens at 6 am, and they are getting home at 10.30 ish some nights.

Their total elapsed time is dependant on their logistics in many instances, plus like the other day when I saw them, John had an interview he had to do which was scheduled for his assumed transition time, but happened when he had 20k to go on the bike, he really has no choice but to stop and do these things as it is part of the bigger picture. But they are not just running a few k then sitting under a palm tree relaxing before doing another 10k.

Given the chance I'm sure John would prefer to do these as a normal Ironman, with a 5 min T1 and T2 and get it done and get home to bed but that simply isn't possible for them doing it the way they are.

Plus as you would know IP he has to not only eat for today, but for tomorrow, the next day and the next week / month so its nit just a matter of getting to the finish line today and as such he is taking a bit longer getting real food in not just gels and sports food, this takes a bit longer than slamming down gels.

surfer101    173

Curious to know what the food plan is & if it changes as the time goes on when they need extra kjs or if their tastes change, eg cant face another gourmet salad & crave some mega-burger with the lot

roxii    3,944

Curious to know what the food plan is & if it changes as the time goes on when they need extra kjs or if their tastes change, eg cant face another gourmet salad & crave some mega-burger with the lot

They are both pretty (very) lean and can afford to indulge, plus the enormous amount of calories they are burning. I dont think it will matter too much what they eat as long as it satisfies their hunger, gives them enough energy and they dont get bored with it.

Pretty sure John loves a burger and will be getting on the wrong side of quite a few of them before the 100 days is out.

• Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen    3,753

Probably illegal to sleep in it at the park.

With regards to missing the massages, probably a choice between massage and more sleep...... sleep won!

I used to nod off during acupuncture. I just slept through a plasma donation this morning. I'm sure if I was tired enough I could go a good deep tissue massage while counting sheep. :)

Turts    1,926

Maybe theres some other reason, like no masseur available that late.

The way the put it, sounds like its not preferable to go without the massage. Surely a trade off for 30min sleep?

Peter    1,547

He seems to be in a nice cruisey pattern now. 5335ffdf1d740f6aeb74f9c94fadf4a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironpo    2,737

Â

I don't have the total times, and to be honest Im not sure if they are keeping that.Â

Â

Other than the pool opens at 6 am, and they are getting home at 10.30 ish some nights.Â

Â

Their total elapsed time is dependant on their logistics in many instances, plus like the other day when I saw them, John had an interview he had to do which was scheduled for his assumed transition time, but happened when he had 20k to go on the bike, he really has no choice but to stop and do these things as it is part of the bigger picture. But they are not just running a few k then sitting under a palm tree relaxing before doing another 10k.Â

Â

Given the chance I'm sure John would prefer to do these as a normal Ironman, with a 5 min T1 and T2 and get it done and get home to bed but that simply isn't possible for them doing it the way they are.Â

Â

Plus as you would know IP he has to not only eat for today, but for tomorrow, the next day and the next week / month so its nit just a matter of getting to the finish line today and as such he is taking a bit longer getting real food in not just gels and sports food, this takes a bit longer than slamming down gels.Â

Thanks mate

I was just trying to get a handle on sleep times etc

Gee that's a long day

Let along 100 long days

Mank    215

Why are they doing it? I assume I missed something fundamental in the back thread?

Edit - nm, found it on the blog.

Edited by Mank

roxii    3,944

Why are they doing it? I assume I missed something fundamental in the back thread?

Raising money for Red Cross.

sja001    2

I see on FB that someone is trying to get a sports med doctor there tonight for a cortisone injection for one of them...that does not sound good

• Like 1

PaperMan    338

I would have thought they would have a sports med doctor in attendance the whole time, keeping them going with IVs and cortisone, not to mention dealing with niggles and blisters.

I'm going to be super impressed if they make it to 10.

• Like 2

Horowitz    27

Amazing job for doing this and putting it on the line, but this seems to be a complete logistical fiasco.

This is such an enormous once in a lifetime task you would think they would hire someone (a backpacker in exchange for somewhere to sleep for 100nights?) to hang around and look after all the 1%ers which just seem to be draining them.

Turts    1,926

For all the crap he got, the 50 in 50 in 50 ironcowboy had his shit together logistically

Peter    1,547

For all the crap he got, the 50 in 50 in 50 ironcowboy had his shit together logistically

Yep. And doing drips daily etc. he was smart.

I'm still backing the 100.

Mike Honcho    209

You reckon? Reading day 7 blog he sounds in a pretty bad way. Day 8 is essentially a 50km run leg on an already troublesome VMO.

Turts    1,926

Kudos to them both for trying. But given their issues so far, i dont think they'll make 25. Still huuuuuge tho.

But pretty tough when you have to finish the run/walk from the day before before you start the next one.

Edited by The Turtle

bumcrackjack    19

Day 7 was finished on Day 8...........so as a technicality doesn't that mean that he has failed?

I remember the stink kicked up about the poor bloke doing some of his running on an elliptical and everyone carrying on that he hadn't done it properly.

Anyhow, good luck to them both.

38 in Sydney today