roxii

Ironcentury Update Thread

649 posts in this topic

From their facebook page

Day 3/100 (30.01.17)
What a scorcher day 3 was! Massive thanks again to all the support crew and bags of ice that were brought to the Iron Century HQ aka team van opp the Greenhouse in Centennial Park!

Debi felt strong on day 3, taking it easy and keeping her heart rate below 150bpm.
John had a tough day out there. After some stomach issues on day 2 not allowing him to eat much this left him feeling depleted. GPS issues saw John swim 4.3km (500m over), add the heat - 37degress at midday and wind on the bike made for a long day out there. John made it home approx 9:30pm missing the daily massage.

And from their daily data page ( http://www.mm.events/iron-century/data/ )

Day 1

Debi: 34:48 swim / 2:38 bike / 1:56 run

John: 1:08 swim / 5:29 bike / 3:48 run

Day 2

Debi: swim 41 / bike 2:52 / run 1:54

John: 1:08 / bike 5:29 / run 3:54

Day 3

Debi: swim 35 / bike 2:57 / run 1:55

John: swim 1:17 / bike 5:56 / run 4:14 (swam over distance)

They're swimming in a pool right? So when they say GPS issues, do they mean that his device just counted the laps poorly? I'm assuming they're not using the GPS itself to track the swim? You said he has a Suunto earlier?? E which model?

Thats a tough day 3. Especially after stomach issues day 2.

Hopefully can recover!

They're swimming in a pool right? So when they say GPS issues, do they mean that his device just counted the laps poorly? I'm assuming they're not using the GPS itself to track the swim? You said he has a Suunto earlier?? E which model?

Yeah but I assume the GPS (which should track laps correctly) is to make sure it all appears above board and has proof, counting laps is all well and good but the naysayers could doubt it.

They are using the new Suunto Spartan I think, seems DC rainmaker was right.

Good marketing opportunity for Garmin to step up and provide a few Fenix's for them so they can ditch the Suunto's

1 person likes this

If only the Garmins counted laps properly ;)

If only the Garmins counted laps properly ;)

Someone should give them a Garmin Swim, problem solve. :P

Good marketing opportunity for Garmin to step up and provide a few Fenix's for them so they can ditch the Suunto's

They have Suunto stickered on the car, maybe Garmin didn't come to the party when approached?

Yeah, but Im pretty sure swimming an extra 500m each day will wear thin pretty quickly.

Over the next 96 days its just an additional 48km :lol:

Seriously, just count then and bugger the nay-sayers.

Yes, I've read plenty of issues with the Spartan, the forums were full of issues.

The two Garmin's I've swum with have only ever over counter laps, and only when I've stuffed up (hit the Lane rope, stopped mid lap etc).

Also, if they are swimming with the GPS on they're nuts! Using the GPS for distance in a pool is gonna fail. All the devices lose and then have to re-aquire the GPS just while your arm is out of the water. What Garmin (and I'm assuming other companies) started doing was to use an algorithm in post processing which helped sort the tracks out. When the 310 came out it's tracking of open water swimming was appalling. But after an update to add the algorithm it improved immensely (say to within 10% accuracy). But still doesn't work well in a pool where you're turning back on yourself constantly, and also turning and pushing of the wall. It really throws things out.

Seriously, if they've got any sponsorship or of it so have to use them, someone should just give them a couple of ambit3's to solve the problem.

Today wouldn't be a good day if the gut issues are continuing, close to 40 but with a cool change coming through in a few hours wonder whether he is considering breaking / taking it slow until then.

Yeah johns not gonna make the 100. Done more than I'd ever accomplish but I'm calling him as done.

Today wouldn't be a good day if the gut issues are continuing, close to 40 but with a cool change coming through in a few hours wonder whether he is considering breaking / taking it slow until then.

He should have flown to Melb for a few days.

Cracking weather here today.

Tues 22

Wed 23

thur 24

Do they have a person overseeing all this ?

Seems like my dog could organise a trip to the USA better than how this is going so far

Let's hope that can get these issues sorted soon or this isn't gunna end pretty

Just get someone at the pool to count the laps ðð»

And throw the technology in the nearby creek

You ain't gunna have to worry about keeping the nehsayers happy if u don't get through the first week

Project for the local school's PE program. Each day, another 2 kids come down & count laps. Can't be too hard.

Project for the local school's PE program. Each day, another 2 kids come down & count laps. Can't be too hard.

Yes

I was thinking the same thing

If wtc can get thousands of volunteers u would think these guys could get 1 or 2 and John isn't poor he could even "donate "to the school or rsl etc

I think this is the main problem with both of them trying to do an attempt at the same time

With something like this u need an amazingly hard working partner (or 3) behind the scenes doing a mega amount of the 1%ers not running around doing there own thing (this goes for both of them not just john)

Had he mentioned anything about staying under 17 hrs or not? I know back to back slow days won't give him enough recovery, so not sustainable. But was it ever mentioned?

Dropped in to see them today as I was in the area.

5e3d7312101b9fee19d960e14f790d92.jpg

John is feeling fine now and just thinks he may have had too much magnesium on the first night. He is back on track and was 20k from finishing the bike leg and was tucking into a spinach feta and beetroot salad as he had to stop and do some media stuff.

a44cb5a1e045095122d7f8a604c5b64e.jpg

He is aiming for 1.10, 5.30 and 4 hours a pace that he thinks he can hold pretty comfortably.

I'm pretty sure 17 hours won't be coming into the equation unless something goes terribly wrong, even then he has a pretty decent buffer and it may only be the logistics that extend him beyond 17 hours.

I think he will be doing all in his power not to be any where near the 17 hour mark.

ed6376dfcef945183fb10f4c3536eda8.jpg

2 people like this

Roxi

Did u ask him what sort of break he was having in between legs

You said he wasn't staying the run until 3 pm yesterday , or was that just a once off

So what is the total time h is planning on taking , gun to finish I suppose I'm asking

Cheers

Ivp

Day 4 (Tuesday)

Debi: swim 37 / bike 2:52 / run 1:55

John: swim 1:14 / bike 5:53 / run 3:59

2 people like this

Hey Roxii,

I'll be in Sydney this weekend. How does John feel about having a bit of company on part of the run?

Saturday or Sunday, or maybe both.

Mate pretty sure he would love the company.

Especially later in the run.

He is still running at 4hr marathon pace at worst, so if you are keen Im sure they love some company.

Their HQ (campervan) is just around from the Randwick entrance (Randwick Gates)

Day 5 blisters, will be tough to heal without a break

I'd be gone after day one. Blisters are not my friends at all!

Thoughts on reading their blog:

Someone stole his wallet and phone? That's just low.

Can't the massage person just come around a bit later?

They are already pushing into the limits of what the human body will tolerate, at 5% of the way through.

So 2k into a marathon with sore muscles, gut issues, and blisters. I wish them well but I'm not hopeful.

2 people like this