roxii

Ironcentury Update Thread

506 posts in this topic

If you ask me, and I know that no one is actually asking, the person riding across Africa to raise funds for "insert charitable cause " in Africa, is to me, just doing what they want to do, and cloaking it in a charitable veneer.

If you want to raise fund, then raise fund, if you want to ride your bike across Africa, then just do that.

This is exactly how I feel - so many cases of adventures disguised as charitable quests :huh:

2 people like this

3 hours ago, AP said:

If you ask me, and I know that no one is actually asking, the person riding across Africa to raise funds for "insert charitable cause " in Africa, is to me, just doing what they want to do, and cloaking it in a charitable veneer.

If you want to raise fund, then raise fund, if you want to ride your bike across Africa, then just do that.

This is exactly how I feel - so many cases of adventures disguised as charitable quests :huh:

Heard about one on the weekend. Guy attempting to paddle from Australia to New Zealand. Had to be rescued 11 days in off the coast of New South Wales. He was hoping to raise money for research into Freidreich's ataxia, which his wife has. If he died doing this, then his wife and family are left to battle this on their own. Tough one.

27 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Heard about one on the weekend. Guy attempting to paddle from Australia to New Zealand. Had to be rescued 11 days in off the coast of New South Wales. He was hoping to raise money for research into Freidreich's ataxia, which his wife has. If he died doing this, then his wife and family are left to battle this on their own. Tough one.

I wonder how much it cost to rescue him, more or less than the amount he raised?

1 hour ago, -H- said:

I wonder how much it cost to rescue him, more or less than the amount he raised?

Less u would think

He was trying to raise awareness for his cause, what better way. 

If he had made it successfully  we may have never heard of him. 

I remember seeing an article last year about a guy that got rescued after a few days. he left Coffs Harbour bound for NZ in an ocean going kayak he built himself. The kayak had washed up about 50km from his target beach in NZ, 18 months later. 

Apparently if you have enough food & water, you don't even have to paddle. :)