roxii

Ironcentury Update Thread

505 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

The big surprise is that with transition times between pool and venue and breaks befor run start they have realized they haven't met any cut-offs and they will be starting again from 0 (zero) and the double surprise is we will have to endure it! :(

There is a time cutoff?

I just thought she was doing the distance each day.  Not in a time period.

happy to be corrected.

5 hours ago, Peter said:

There is a time cutoff?

I just thought she was doing the distance each day.  Not in a time period.

happy to be corrected.

Am sure thy don't have cut offs, but don't half 'Ironmans' have cut offs!

if you did say..... 5 official Ironmans in a year and one of them was in 17:01..... Would it be 5 Ironmans complete or only 4?

We all know the answer.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:01 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Am sure thy don't have cut offs, but don't half 'Ironmans' have cut offs!

if you did say..... 5 official Ironmans in a year and one of them was in 17:01..... Would it be 5 Ironmans complete or only 4?

We all know the answer.

By that logic have they provided a new yacht for the registration people by way of fees? Do not pass go, do not pay $1,000s

They are however ironman distance, just not prescribed by the methods set by a faceless corporation that hijacked an event over time.  If they are done to the distances and in the spirit Collins set out all those years ago, then they are in my books

18 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

They are however ironman distance, just not prescribed by the methods set by a faceless corporation that hijacked an event over time.  

If IM wasn't hijacked as u described then I bet 99%of people here would have never done an IM or even heard of it

u can't have your cake and eat it too

26 minutes ago, ironpo said:

If IM wasn't hijacked as u described then I bet 99%of people here would have never done an IM or even heard of it

u can't have your cake and eat it too

No point in having cake if you can't eat it,,,mmm cake:D

3 people like this

20 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

They are however ironman distance, just not prescribed by the methods set by a faceless corporation that hijacked an event over time.  If they are done to the distances and in the spirit Collins set out all those years ago, then they are in my books

Hijacked? The person/persons/company/corporation who started the Ironman races is still the same.....its just the ownership that has changed over time. The same ideals etc still exist. it's just now that the endurance business has become so big and corporatized that you seem to thing it has been hijacked etc.

If it wasn't run the way it is run, no one would have the opportunity to do the races and visit the various destinations that keep popping up. Besides through there professionalism etc they are able to bring in the right people to run and tight ship. Pay peanuts and you get a shit product. Fact of life.

Money talks....shit walks!!!!

2 people like this

11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Hijacked? The person/persons/company/corporation who started the Ironman races is still the same.....its just the ownership that has changed over time. The same ideals etc still exist. it's just now that the endurance business has become so big and corporatized that you seem to thing it has been hijacked etc.

If it wasn't run the way it is run, no one would have the opportunity to do the races and visit the various destinations that keep popping up. Besides through there professionalism etc they are able to bring in the right people to run and tight ship. Pay peanuts and you get a shit product. Fact of life.

Money talks....shit walks!!!!

Yep

13 hours ago, FatPom said:

No point in having cake if you can't eat it,,,mmm cake:D

Looovee cake

2 people like this

The crew are out at kurnell today. Maybe centennial park is closed? 

Nice day for it though. Debi was going along well. John was running on his own, and based on the way he was running, look out anyone in his age group at Port! 

5 hours ago, roxii said:

Nice day for it though. Debi was going along well. John was running on his own, and based on the way he was running, look out anyone in his age group at Port! 

Maybe city pools closed for Good Friday. I suspect crazy traffic in the park, hence the switch.

Up to day 78 of 100

$25 k raised of $100 k target

I would have expected more with all the publicity they were doing

25k is a lot 

land its not like they are doing anything special 

its bloddy hard work trying to rAise $$$$ doesn't matter what it's for 

people are pretty tight these days

i rAise $12600 for breast cancer a while back when I was doing a 246k run . Raising the $$$$ was harder than doing the run

1 person likes this

On 4/14/2017 at 3:09 PM, roxii said:

John's in my new age group and he's a no show in the starter list. (Phew!).

Suspect he's transfered to Cairns.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, iFoz said:

John's in my new age group and he's a no show in the starter list. (Phew!).

Suspect he's transfered to Cairns.

Maybe he's just doing the half

19 hours ago, ironpo said:

25k is a lot 

land its not like they are doing anything special 

its bloddy hard work trying to rAise $$$$ doesn't matter what it's for 

people are pretty tight these days

i rAise $12600 for breast cancer a while back when I was doing a 246k run . Raising the $$$$ was harder than doing the run

Just how much publicity are they doing though, and where?  I mean, sure, I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for here, but I'm a lot of k's away.  I mean, they want 100k?  Then you have someone like Sam Johnson, who was already well known across the country wanting to raise a mil, who did 1000x's the publicity (maybe 100000x's) that they are doing, but also a project that took nearly 4 times as long.

It's really really hard to raise money these days.  I don't even think it's because people are so tight.  There's just so many things demanding our attention when it comes to fundraising these days.  There's idiots trying to fund holidays and engagement rings, people trying to fund their surgeries.  There's projects like Sam J and the guys this threads about.  There's the old guys at the supermarket raising for cancer that I feel bad about walking past every time, There's the art unions.  RSPCA.  Try being a business owner - I get flooded with calls for this or that to the point I sometimes let every call go to my machine, and call back the people I need to.  I just registered for the next lot of Beanies for Brain Cancer and will get one for each of the family when they're available again.  

I don't envy anyone trying to raise funds for a good cause these days!

3 people like this

Raising funds whilst undertaking an arduous activity, be it cycling around Australia, running an ultra or two or doing 100 x consecutive Ironmans, no longer catches the publics attention.

Case in Point,

"Between April 2011 and January 2012, Pat Farmer successfully completed the world's longest ultra-marathon, a "Pole to Pole Run" from the North Pole to the South Pole, raising A$100,000 for Red Cross International.

FFS is that ALL... it would have cost more than that to undertake this marathon.

If you ask me, and I know that no one is actually asking, the person riding across Africa to raise funds for "insert charitable cause " in Africa, is to me, just doing what they want to do, and cloaking it in a charitable veneer.

If you want to raise fund, then raise fund, if you want to ride your bike across Africa, then just do that.

But back to fund raising... one has to really capture the publics attention, as can be witnessed by such successes as Red Nose Day and Pink Ribbon Day. If one can tap into the same widespread public attention, then success may be forthcoming.. but what is the magic formula? I dunno.

but all of that being said, I'm still wishing the 100 x team the very best.

1 person likes this

Maybe it's the participation fundraiser that is the go these days. Colour runs. Charity bike rides. Rather than one person raising a moderate sum of money, it's heaps of people raising little amounts that add up to a bucket load.

Maybe they would be more successful in trying to attempt something that they don't do on a daily basis. (I know they don't do a full distance race day after day normally - but the distance they are doing is very achievable - the tough bit is doing it daily but does the average person see the difference?

I put the question back to all - how many times does someone you know want you to sponsor them because they are doing a 10 run or a 2k ocean swim or even a 60 k ride. My first reaction is I do each or all as a BAU (business as usual) activity most days so why would I sponsor someone else to do it!

Also, since I was a young adult, I've followed my dear mothers lead, in that I focus my charitable donations only to one charity, House With No Steps, but in sufficient size to possibly make a difference.

other than that, the only charitable dollar I spend is on the Big Issue, but then again, that's not really charity, because I actually get a product for my dollars.

1 person likes this

I understand raising money is hard - I've done my fair share of trying to raise funds for charity through doing something I would have ordinarily and not ordinarily done.

From the outside though, it's odd.  Theyhad plenty of build up.  TV coverage, newspapers, plenty of sponsorship, plenty of product plugs and placements.  Every Facebook post is a sponsor plug somewhere. And they all finish with a "oh, and remember we're doing this to raise money fro Red Cross so please donate". 

I know they've had a few curveballs - but Debbie's up to over 80.  If those sponsors kicked in $5000 (nothing for them), they'd be well over 25. 

So as a cynic, if the companies won't chip in $$, they are then just using it to promote their product. So it's selfish all around.  If they are just using it to make money and won't chip in cash to the cause, then why should I (as opposed to my own choice)?  They knew the fundraising would be hard when they set their goal of $100,000 - the goalposts didn't just move overnight. 

What else could/should they be doing?  I have nothing - except get the sponsors to tip in some cash.   Or maybe they will - when she gets to 100. 

Dunno. 

Most if not all of there "sponsors" would only be supplying product , and probably at cost not for free 

all of there donations would have come from joe blow on the street 

Possibly the sponsors might be announcing their donations at the end. Would make the most sense. If they donated up front and the event stopped early they would get far less exposure. Waiting until day 100 and standing there with a big novelty cheque for the photo opportunities sounds much more sensible. 

27 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

How's John going....Is he up to 1 in a row yet? #1InARow

I think he can only handle one half in a row these days

1 person likes this