roxii

Ironcentury Update Thread

506 posts in this topic

You could offer to ride a few laps with him but today he was riding solo at 38-39 kph

Let's hope he isn't making the same mistake as in 8in8 and doing the first few too fast

I've gotta find all the data but according to strava:

Damm I would be very happy with those splits.

3 people like this

Is there somewhere the two are talking about how they're feeling and what they're going through? I don't really care about them eating burgers. I want to know about the pain and suffering :)

1 person likes this

Is it just me, or is their Facebook feed absolutely awful? (Sorry for being grumpy!)...

I wish them well, and agree with most others that the challenge is immense, and achieving it would be phenomenal...

However, having tried to follow their exploits on their facebook page - it turns me cold... I hopped on there to read about the first two days - times, distances, challenges etc etc and it turns out the feed is like a bad daytime TV infomercial...

Doubt I'll be going back to find out more, which is a shame as I'd be interested in following their exploits

(Rant over) :-)

Here are the stats from day 2 from their facebook page just updated in the last hour.

Day 2/100 (29.01.17 ) stats are up! We will be posting these daily with a few insights into how it all went:

Day 2 wasn't as hot as Day 1, but it saw a few technical issues with Johns tracker not working well, but all in all everything is falling into place 1f642.png :)

Stats:
Debi: swim 41 (with a few breaks), bike 2:52, run 1:54
John : swim 1:08, bike 5:29, run 3:54

Day 3 is off to a good, but hot start! Back in Centennial Park and the shade of the trees will be appreciated today for both triathletes and support crew - head in and support, just don't forget your water!

I get what you are saying I have been searching around facebook/ strava/ Qarqnet etc trying to find times etc and its been a bit of a muddle, but hopefully a few days in things will settle down a bit and they will get into a routine and have more regular updates. In saying that I was surprised at how little support they have for this and little things like charging cameras/ GPS, updating stats etc will become a bit of a chore and may go by the wayside in lieu of the bigger stuff if they dont get a bit more support more consistently.

Another issue they were encountering is their Suunto losing a lap or two in the pool when uploading to strava, I was there on Sat morning and John did 3.8 on his watch but I think it uploaded as 3.75, Debi did ask him to do a few extra laps to cover this but as you can imagine when you multiply "a few extra laps" by 100 days you can imagine Johns response :lol:

Ill try my best to keep you all posted here and might see if I can get the days results TXT through to me to get them up here sooner.

They were also hoping to get some questions to get to John to answer during so people liek us can interacts with him and ask the question we no doubt would be interspersed in especially as the days pass, so we will see how that goes.

Also John didnt really want to make a big fuss about the whole event till he was a few days/ weeks in as he knows its a long haul and wanted to make sure everything was ticking along nicely before really pushing the issue. In saying that it is for charity and Im sure they will appreciate any opportunity for a bit fo publicity so Ill keep pushing the barrow for them.

Isn't a 10:30 extremely fast considering he has another 99 to do consecutively?

Isn't a 10:30 extremely fast considering he has another 99 to do consecutively?

For most of us yeah. For John, not so much.

I think he is working to overall heart rates, and the level he is working at is very comfortable for him at the moment. Being a little faster also gives him more rest which can be just as valuable.

Â

Â

Isn't a 10:30 extremely fast considering he has another 99 to do consecutively?Â

Whats the strava link

Whats the strava link

Search for Iron Century and you will find John and Debi's feed

With regards to the missing swim laps, this was a problem I used to encounter with my Garmin and Strava. Strava was always a lap short reported distance.

It seems like his moving time is around the 10.30-10.40 mark for the first 2 days but elapsed time is a fair bit longer for both the run and swim, obviously taking regular breaks. I find this incredible, even if he pulled the pin today it's still impressive. He has started the mara around 3 pm both days, with elapsed time he's not finishing till around 7.30. Still having to eat and waiting for the adrenaline to subside, i'm guessing he's not getting a great amount of quality sleep each night. I did 100 km around centennial once, I wanted to shoot myself. It's a scorcher out there too today.

+1 Luiz. I have been doing 2 x 60 kms each week at 5.30am for the past 4 weeks. Warm enough when I finish and also have already shot myself twice. At least he could make it interesting and do the loop up the hill. Lol.

FM

1 person likes this

ok that makes more sense

so the times posted are just moving times not the time from gun to finish line , so the over all time for the ironman is about 13 hrs

this is a much smarter pace but will be lacking sleep time , so it sure is a balancing act

cheers

ivp

I said this about the half x 100.

7am. Swim 2k

9:30. Start bike.

2pm start run.

All done by 4pm

No different to going to the office for most.

Totally possible for 100x half ironman

7am. Swim 2k

2pm start run.

All done by 4pm

Agree

Plus it looks like she is doing the "run" in around 2 hrs so plenty of walking there

7am. Swim 2k

2pm start run.

All done by 4pm

So 9 hours from start to finish. Is that going to flame up the nay-sayers claiming it doesn't count, as she'd be pulled from the course for taking too long?

I'd guess they don't give two hoots about the nay-sayers!

Not like Debi is laying round on a banana lounge under a palm tree in her down time, she is also helping support John and also doing some extra miles in all three disciplines to keep him company, oh and looking after a baby.

The extended "transitions" are mainly due to taht fact that they are pretty much self supporting, plus logistics etc.

Regardless of elapsed times etc if either of them make it through the distances it will be a great achievement.

3 people like this

Although it said 26C when I started at CP this morning (5.15am), it wasn't too bad. Knocked out 60 kms. Had a quick look around but couldn't find them. I am not too sure if they have a designated spot. Probably too early @ 7.30am. Se La Vie.

It was starting to warm up though as I left. Best of luck for today.

FM

I'd guess they don't give two hoots about the nay-sayers!

Me neither.

Just looking after the baby on top of the half makes her achievement equal to John's.

1 person likes this

Just friggin having a baby not that long ago makes hers the bigger achievement!