Tall Paul

Velothon Sunshine Coast

Tall Paul    396

Another big event coming to the Sunshine Coast next July. First Velothon event in the Southern Hemisphere

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/breaking-coast-to-host-major-global-cycling-event/3118514/

http://velothonsunshinecoast.com/

One day and three day events - courses look great through the Hinterland and coastaline

Edited by Tall Paul

Jon    278

That Day 1 course map looks like it goes to Montville via Razorback Road rather than the steady gradient of the usual KOM route on Palmwoods - Montville Rd.. Razorback is the steepest gradient I have ever ridden and is going to take some serious victims if they are not prepared for it.

Rog    1,546

It's an Ironman company so expect expensive entries, active fees and sub par service.

• Like 1

A2K    569

It's an Ironman company so expect expensive entries, active fees and sub par service.

I was interested as i read the email until i realised it's an IM event. No thanks.

RunBrettRun    1,353

Whats the sub par service?

I've only ever experienced sub par service in non ironman events.

Jon    278

Whilst I am no apologist for WTC, I am sure the triathlon world is a better place for their existence. If you took away every event they ran the triathlon scene globally would be a very quiet place.

And I am sure the cycling world welcomes their initiative in establishing this particular three day major cycling event. So don't bag them for taking the financial risk in putting on new events.

Rocket Salad    1,055

I'll bag them all I want for the poor service I've received.

Take away all their crap events and other independent races would be in their place. Most probably better run at a cheaper price.

• Like 1

longshot    74

Hadn't heard of velothons before. Just read a bit about them. Seems entry fees aren't that high - e.g Wales GBP 65, about the same as the more sportif like events Cycling Victoria Marysville and Mt Macedon rides.

Jon    278

I'll bag them all I want for the poor service I've received.

Take away all their crap events and other independent races would be in their place. Most probably better run at a cheaper price.

Sounds like you have your head in a very dark place.

mhvh    82

I agree with RS, both Mooloolaba and Noosa were better before they became IM owned. What, someone's head has to be in a dark place to bag the IM brand?

Tall Paul    396

I agree with RS, both Mooloolaba and Noosa were better before they became IM owned.

Be interested in your reasons for this impression. Did my first Noosa Tri in 4years this year and didn't notice any difference in race delivery or personal experience of the event from previous years.

Edited by Tall Paul
  • Like 1

mhvh    82

I have only done one Noosa since it has been IM owned, so my opinion is mainly based on Mooloolaba. Don't get me wrong USM wasn't much better. I prefer races like Bribie Kingscliff and Byron. Find they make you feel much more welcome not just like it's a business and they just want your money. Maybe it's hard to do that on such a large scale, I don't know

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

RunBrettRun    1,353

What's the bad service though that you get at other events?

I remember before I started tri my favourite runs were bridge to brisbane and city to surf. But the "real runners" were out in the burbs doing the small events cause "real runners" don't do those sort of events.

There's something about standing on the start line of a big event and the atmosphere around them that I love.

I can appreciate they aren't for everyone but the bad service is something you hear a bit of but I've never experienced.

So what do you get at small events that you don't get in the big ones.

• Like 1

Cat Lady    280

What's the bad service though that you get at other events?

I remember before I started tri my favourite runs were bridge to brisbane and city to surf. But the "real runners" were out in the burbs doing the small events cause "real runners" don't do those sort of events.

There's something about standing on the start line of a big event and the atmosphere around them that I love.

I can appreciate they aren't for everyone but the bad service is something you hear a bit of but I've never experienced.

So what do you get at small events that you don't get in the big ones.

Podium?

But seriously, I do both and love both types equally. Volunteers can make the event and I can't seem to tell the difference between small and large event volunteers. Portaloos can be a problem at small events :-) the courses of both vary in quality. My friends do both types and it's great hanging out with them. maybe the quality of the gear you get can be better but that's never dictated why I do the event.

RunBrettRun    1,353

Podium?

But seriously, I do both and love both types equally. Volunteers can make the event and I can't seem to tell the difference between small and large event volunteers. Portaloos can be a problem at small events :-) the courses of both vary in quality. My friends do both types and it's great hanging out with them. maybe the quality of the gear you get can be better but that's never dictated why I do the event.

The only person I know who does the smaller events for a podium is hacq1

Kenneth    123

So I'm a few reds in (so much for one small glass before dinner) and just saw an email from yesterday. There's a certain appeal to a three day event.

A bloke at work was talking about a while ago and I said he should give it a go and I'd do the one day with him. Then I looked up the details and saw the course profile. I told him he was dreaming the next day. But the little video ad that Sheenan has done has got me thinking about it. And not just the enticer one day - it's all or nothing.

KKB    38

That Day 1 course map looks like it goes to Montville via Razorback Road rather than the steady gradient of the usual KOM route on Palmwoods - Montville Rd.. Razorback is the steepest gradient I have ever ridden and is going to take some serious victims if they are not prepared for it.

You live on the Sunshine Coast and think Razorback is steep!!

I think you need to get out more....

Duck over to Aherns Rd and do Postmans Track. Or Phillipps Rd off Dulong, or Obi Obi. Where do I stop? :shutup:

Edited by KKB

Kenneth    123

Obi Obi is 110k in on the day 3 course. They're laying down carpet for the walkers. Think that would happen if ironman group wasn't organising?

Rocket Salad    1,055

Â

You live on the Sunshine Coast and think Razorback is steep!!

I think you need to get out more....

Â

Duck over to Aherns Rd and do Postmans Track. Or Phillipps Rd off Dulong, or Obi Obi. Where do I stop? :shutup:

Razerback is steeper than ObiObi.

KKB    38

Razerback is steeper than ObiObi.

Okay, maybe (just, if you take the overall average, and we know they mean diddly squat) But I'll 'see' your Razorback and 'raise' you a Postmans.

Edited by KKB

Ruley    724

Okay, maybe (just, if you take the overall average, and we know they mean diddly squat) But I'll 'see' your Razorback and 'raise' you a Postmans.

dick swingers, if you havent trained they will all f$%k you up... if you have your heart rate will be high and you'll be out of the saddle but you'll make it up them.

I'd be making sure i have fairly new cleats on for these hills as i wouldnt want to be accidently pulling out and having to restart on them.

KKB    38
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, Ruley said:

dick swingers

You didn't get it... obviously.

I was originally posting in reply to someone who lives on the sunny coast that thought Razorback was the steepest climb he'd ever done, and proceeded to point out a few more that were steeper, in his own backyard , and indicated that maybe he should broaden his horizons.  I've done most steep climbs in the GC and SC Hinterlands, both gravel and *cough* tarmac, and reckon Postmans Track would 'bust' most punters..... let alone triathletes!

But sadly, it's not included in this latest 'Fondo'. :/