Kamal2

Ten Questions with Cranky.

57 posts in this topic

She's already a legend this lady. She's agreed to be here this morning and probably have the questions answered by Monday.

Jo-Lene (not the Dolly Parton song), has been a good athlete since way back in school. Like a lot of top level triathletes she did well in other sports earlier. She's highly competitive. And from her results she's a classic overachiever.

Because I don't actually know Jo-lene I'm working blindly except for scanning the material she sent me. So I am sure Cranky would answer any other questions if submitted below.

Intro Questions.

1. Jo-lene. Submit a brief person bio data in narrative form. Where were you born and where have you lived. Education and occupation. Family and etc.

2. As you can see from other Ten Q's it's a generic formula. Talk about all the sports you played or participated in up to your first triathlon. And leave it there.

I've always liked Dolly especially way back in the 70's.

1 person likes this

TEN QUESTIONS.

1. In our chats we skipped the part about your first event. When was that? How was the training and how did it go?

2. As you have told me you work with a coach. Someone who might be well known I guess, in a small circle. Who is she? Talk about that and correlate that to some of the results you have achieved up to now.

3. Now you have achieved some notable results. Pick out one as a career highlight? Was that you best finish? If not also talk about you highest placing, win or podium?

4. Jo-lene. You are highly ranked and placed in AG 35-39 racing in Australia,going off recent results. Recently 4th at Noosa coming off the gruelling Kona race. That leaves 3 women ahead of you currently. Who are they and what would it take to beat them.

5. Mate (if I may say that). Since you are a very highly competitive individual. Are you looking ahead to AG 40-44 and what it might take to go higher. Maybe in the first 1-2 years after aging up.

6. Since you have been to Kona. How did you get there? Link the race report if you can.

7. By quick mental calculation that was your 3rd Full IM. Since that in itself coupled with marriage family and a carer is a major accomplishement. Will that remain your focus?

8. Then the family angle. All of the above can't be done without family support. Talk about Darren and your girls and and how the support helps you. And because it's so time consuming, what deals and commitments have you made with you made with them for the future.

9. As you might notice I have been off line for a while and I'm struggling wth the questions. Help me out a little. Since you are quite good in all 3 disciplines, in training, in order to improve further. Which one would you put the focus on?

10. So your first Kona in October and you backed up at Noosa 7 weeks later finishing 4th/169. Most people could not do that. How did you manage that?

11. Would you like to add anything?

Thanks for appearing and hope a few more questions will come through.

1 person likes this

1. Jo-lene. Submit a brief person bio data in narrative form. Where were you born and where have you lived. Education and occupation. Family and etc.

First of all, thanks for the intro. Very flattering. ...not sure it's all true, but I'll take it! [emoji6]

I was born in Brisbane. Grew up at Ferny Hills and went to Patricks Rd State Primary School until half way through year 3. Mum and Dad split up when I was 4 and when I was in year 3 Mum and my (soon to be) Stepdad moved to Mooloolah. I spent the rest of my primary years at Mooloolah State School and then went to high school at Maleny State High.

I teach at Earnshaw State College which is an independent public school on the north side of Brisbane. I have been there for pretty much my whole teaching career. 11 years, I think. I actually studied HPE and Biology (for high school) at uni, but got my first placement at a pretty rough high school teaching year 8 & 9 maths and science. I was pretty soft then (probably still am) and I went home in tears most days. I stuck it out for 3 weeks before I terminated my contract. I had done my prac in pretty good schools and kids jumping out windows and throwing stuff at fans was more than I could handle. Anyway, I then did supply and Special Needs teaching while I went back to uni and did my Masters in Early Childhood. I figured that way I had it covered from prep to year 12 and should be more employable! I then got a few back to back contracts which lasted a couple of years at Earnshaw before finally gaining permanency there. I'm glad that we are an independent school because it means that I won't have to do my country service and I can stay there forever (I don't cope well with change)! I have a year 6 all girls class (so I teach all subjects except HPE, music and Japanese). This is my third year with them. Part time when they were in year 4 & 5 as Olivia wasn't at school yet and I was only working 3 days a week. I love my job and my girls. They are like my own and thankfully they aren't going far to high school next year as we are a P-12 campus. I'll miss them heaps. It's also nice to have 25 big sisters for Lily and Olivia!

I also have a little tri club at school that I started up last year. It's great because it means that I get to train the kids 2 lunch times a week instead of having to do playground duty! We spend one day swimming and the other day doing strength. There's my one strength session a week! LOL. Then we do a brick session at the Nundah Crit Track one afternoon.

I have 3 girls (18, 7 & 5 years old). My eldest (from a previous narrate) is in Japan on a 10 month student exchange (she did 3 months at the end of yr 10 and lived it so went back for a longer one at the end of yr 12). Lily and Olivia go to school at Earnshaw too, so that makes drop off and pick up a breeze! Lily is in yr 2 but thinks she's in yr 12! Attitude?! Oh my gosh, yes!! Olivia is in prep and she's going to be my little triathlete. Lily wants to race but never wants to train. Olivia turns up to every session! And Dazz. Well he deserves a medal just for hanging around! He gets the shits with me occasionally but probably not as much as he should. He's very supportive of my (undiagnosed) OCD!

I think that covers it. Let me know if I've missed anything. I'll try to get the other answers out ASAP. Drowning in report card writing at the moment so doing a bit of a juggling act.

Thanks again for the opportunity. I feel very privileged. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

6 people like this

2. As you can see from other Ten Q's it's a generic formula. Talk about all the sports you played or participated in up to your first triathlon. And leave it there.[/b]

In primary school I did pretty much anything that I could. I think my first sport was probably ballet, then gymnastics, swimming, t-ball, netball and anything going at school. In high school I played netball more than anything but also played touch football, softball and went ok at athletics in school. After school I played indoor netball on and off through my uni years and up until about ten years ago. I did some running, just to keep fit. This too was on and off. I also did a bit of water skiing for a couple of years, just on the weekends as my brother's best mate had a ski boat. I was never fantastic at any sport in particular, but just pretty good at most. Good enough to make the school teams most of the time, but I went to little country schools, so you didn't really have that much competition.

1. In our chats we skipped the part about your first event. When was that? How was the training and how did it go?

My first tri was as a swimmer in a team enticer! My cousin's idea. I was so crazy nervous! I don't remember the training leading up. I don't even know if I trained! It was 7 years ago. I'm flat out remembering what I did yesterday let-a-lone 7 years ago! Once I completed that swim, I was hooked. I did the rest of the season, enticer distances and then the next two full seasons. My second season finishing 2nd or 3rd and my third season finishing 1st in my age group. The next season I stepped up to the Sprint distances. I think I probably trained 3 days a week in the early years and then 6 days a week for the next couple of years. But it was only probably 20-60mins a session. I had a mate of Dazza's who is a PT and into tri so he gave me some suggested training sessions and between that and stuff I got off line and out of magazines I just pretty much made it up myself, and went out and smashed myself every session!

2. As you have told me you work with a coach. Someone who might be well known I guess, in a small circle. Who is she? Talk about that and correlate that to some of the results you have achieved up to now.

Mel is/was my coach. Melinda Cockshutt. She lives in Port Mac, did my programs online and we communicated by Facebook messenger mostly. (She Shuffla's wife. Also coaches Ironpo's wife). I came to Trannies when I was looking for a coach and after looking at a few, she stood out by miles. We just clicked.

Unfortunately I'm not training with her anymore. I made a deal with Dazz, who only wanted me to do one IM, due to the high volume of training I was needing to do to get IM fit. After twisting his arm to let me have a crack at KQ, the deal was that I would get a coach but it would only be until I KQed (but then I stayed with her - a very smart move, until Kona).

I struggled in the first week after Kona, not having a coach. I lost all sense of direction and I had a couple of days where I struggled with the Post-IM blues, but I'm all good now.

I'll miss Mel terribly but it's not fair on the family to spend the money on myself when there are others more worthy right now. I've achieved my dream, now it's just a matter of trying to figure out my training by myself, which I managed fine before Mel came along.

Mel did amazing things for me (mentally and physically). She was so good at understanding my family situation and told me what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. She knew my body better than I did! ! My run was crap before she came along and then I finished IM Cairns (my KQ race) with the 8th overall fastest female run time!

Mel did all my run and bike sessions and I swam (still do) with Tent Grimsey's squad.

3 people like this

I struggled in the first week after Kona, not having a coach. I lost all sense of direction and I had a couple of days where I struggled with the Post-IM blues, but I'm all good now.

Why would you even need a coach the week after Kona?

To tell me what to do / not to do

3. Now you have achieved some notable results. Pick out one as a career highlight? Was that you best finish? If not also talk about you highest placing, win or podium?

Well I'm not sure whether my career highlight was racing at Kona or qualifying to get there. I guess the race in Kona is probably the best thing that I have ever done that is Triathlon related. I took it easy over there and soaked up every minute as I knew I would never be going back. That place is absolutely amazing. The atmosphere, the support, the land, just everything! There's not really much more you can say about it!

My highest podium in Ironman was my qualifying race which was Cairns this year. I placed 3rd. That was also an amazing race not because of my finishing time, which is also my IM PB, but because I executed that race perfectly. My Swim was great, I stuck to my numbers on my bike, and I pushed hard on my run. Everything just went perfectly that day. You can read more about that in my Cairns race report.

1 person likes this

To tell me what to do / not to do

How about....relax, nothing.

How about....relax, nothing.

Pardon?

3 people like this

I think she means relax as in don't train. No coach, no triathlon just drink beer and eat cake. You need to force yourself to take a break even when you don't feel like it.

I find the whole concept of Cranky answering Q instead of asking them very troubling :D

6 people like this

I think she means relax as in don't train. No coach, no triathlon just drink beer and eat cake. You need to force yourself to take a break even when you don't feel like it.

Maybe this is the reason cranky will never be a participant of the biggest loser thread....

1 person likes this

To drink with?

1 person likes this

Maybe this is the reason cranky will never be a participant of the biggest loser thread....

I thought she owned a Giant, doesn't that qualify her??

4 people like this

I thought she owned a Giant, doesn't that qualify her??

She also has a cervelo which redeems her fully :-)

3 people like this

4. Jo-lene. You are highly ranked and placed in AG 35-39 racing in Australia, going off recent results. Recently 4th at Noosa coming off the gruelling Kona race. That leaves 3 women ahead of you currently. Who are they and what would it take to beat them.

1. Hannah Hogan - nothing short of a miracle! She is a weapon! She beat me in Noosa last year by 10 minutes and this year at Noosa by 11 minutes. I think I would have to adopt out my kids and husband, give up work and do nothing but train, eat and rest to get up to her level.

2 & 3. - I don't know these girls, but they beat me by 7 minutes and 2 minutes.

And then there's AA7 who, once she recovers from her injury, will be back kicking my butt again.

So what do I need to do to beat these girls? I don't know. I guess train more specifically for the OD races and learn to hurt more in training. I also think that I am at a bit of a disadvantage as I don't get the 'rest time' that others MAY get. I walk in the door from training in the morning and it's: hang out the washing, shower, make breakfasts, make lunches, "What's on at school today, girls?", "Get this, Get that!", "Get in the car", off to school, work all day (other than my nap in my lunch break - which I am VERY grateful for and understand that many others may not get this), marking and preparing for school in the afternoons while I try and keep the girls out of my hair, get home, unpack bags, get dinner ready, do homework, read a story (while I foam roller at the same time), clean up from dinner, go to bed, wake up in the morning and do it all again. Dazz is usually home earlier than me on Thursdays and Fridays so when he can, he does dinner. That's a big help. But I think that the girls that I race, without kids to look after, come home and put their feet up. This is the one thing that I'm missing.

So that's my "poor me" rant. I'll try not to have another one of those! I do make work for myself though. On days that I am not busy I don't know what to do with myself!!

I am hoping to focus on the OD more for the next couple of years, so I'll see if I can at least get a bit closer to these girls.

5. Mate (if I may say that). Since you are a very highly competitive individual. Are you looking ahead to AG 40-44 and what it might take to go higher. Maybe in the first 1-2 years after aging up.

I hadn't really thought about the aging up thing. I think it'll always be tough no matter what AG I'm in. I guess I might have a bit of an advantage as I age up in the first year, but just look at Jenny Alcorn. She's older than me and still runs rings around me. I'll just keep training and racing as best as I can and see where it takes me.

PS: 40-44 sounds old. I'm not sure I'm ready for that!

6. Since you have been to Kona. How did you get there? Link the race report if you can.

By plane. Is that a trick question??

No. Really....

I did my first IM as a bucket list thing. I really enjoyed it. One of the trannies had sent me a Ben Greenfield training program, so I just followed that to get me there. I finished 15th in my AG. And that got me thinking. What if I had a real good crack at it?? I had a bit of work to do with Dazz though, getting him to agree to another one. It happed on the night of the Cairns IM 2015. We were watching others coming across the finishing line; friends, strangers, someone Dazz knows through work. He gets really pumped at events and he was excited watching everyone finish. That was when he agreed to one more. Then I needed a coach if I was going to have a real good go at it. I would need to knock between 60-90 minutes off my Port IM time. I started a thread on Trannies and spoke to some friends about coaches. I decided on Melinda Cockshutt from Port. I felt that she, without even knowing me, had the confidence in me that I could make it. And so the training began. I continued to swim with my normal swim group (Codie at Nudgee Pool and Trent at Centenary Pool - later dropping my Saturday swims with Codie, so I could use them as my long session days). Mel did all my bike and run sessions and worked around my swimming and family life. She was awesome. As much as a mental coach and psychologist as a physical coach. She looked at my past results and told me where we would need to get to in order to KQ. I remember looking at some sessions and swearing at her (in my head) but then, somehow, I managed to pull it off! She knew what my body was capable of better than I did.

It was also great having a coach because it took all the thinking out of it. I'd wake up, look at my program, go do it, put in my feedback, done; get on with the rest of my day. No worrying about if I had done enough or too much. I just did exactly what she told me and it worked out perfectly. She turned my run from my worst leg into my best. I was amazed at what she had me doing.

So that's how I got there.

Port IM Race Report here: http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=68193

Cairns IM Race report here: http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=70543

Kona IM Race Report here: http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=71160

7. By quick mental calculation that was your 3rd Full IM. Since that in itself coupled with marriage family and a carer is a major accomplishment. Will that remain your focus?

Simple Answer - No. It's too hard.

That and I do actually love my husband and he, for some strange reason, wants to spend time with me. :smile1: This doesn't happen when I am training for IM. I'm all or nothing, so I wouldn't be happy training a bit and not performing to my full potential on race day. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE IRONMAN, but it's bloody hard work - and I only trained up to 18 hours per week. I was always tired (actually come to think of it, I am still always tired!).

My focus now will be Olympic Distance. Sprint distance is not enough training for me, and also it's a lot of effort for a 1 hour race! At least you kind of get your money's worth with OD, yet the training volume is not as big at 70.3. I love the fitness that I have gained out of IM and I feel that if I dropped my training hours too much, I'd get fat and feel like a slob! So I think OD is the right fit for me at the moment.

1 person likes this

8. Then the family angle. All of the above can't be done without family support. Talk about Darren and your girls and and how the support helps you. And because it's so time consuming, what deals and commitments have you made with you made with them for the future.

Dazz is great. He gets the shits with the fact that I wake him up (not on purpose) most mornings when I get up, and that I am always either training or tired, but come race day, there isn't a better supporter out there. He actually made me cry (happy tears) in Cairns. On the run course he was screaming at me with so much emotion I just started bawling. Then he thought there was something wrong and started stressing. LOL! He gets so pumped at races, but he also worries a lot. Especially when I was starting my runs at 3am in the dark. Garmin live tracker has been great for that. He can see where I am while I am out training and if I'm still moving at a reasonable pace, that eases his mind.

The girls aren't really supportive as such. They (my two little ones) have never known any different. My first tri was when Lily was 6 months old, so it's pretty standard that I am never home when they wake up in the morning. Their only aim is to stay in their room until 6:30am so they don't bug Daddy too much before I get home!

As far as deals - I've made a few of those along the way. Luckily they were written in pencil!

1. Port IM would be my only IM (ended up doing 3)

2. I would get a coach, but only until Cairns (stayed with her for an extra 4 months!)

3. After Kona I would settle down with my training and go back to short course. - This one I have kept ... well not the settling down bit, but that's just my personality!

Edited by Cranky
1 person likes this

9. As you might notice I have been off line for a while and I'm struggling with the questions. Help me out a little. Since you are quite good in all 3 disciplines, in training, in order to improve further. Which one would you put the focus on?

Bike.

Now that I have my run where I want it (so long as I can get my speed back after IM), I really need to work on my bike leg. Swimming is my favourite and I usually place ok here. I like these sessions the most for two reasons. 1. Because I've always loved swimming and 2. because it's the only session in the week where I get to train with others. I know I need to train my bike and run alone, but it does get a little boring doing it on your own all the time. Also I feel that if you're good or bad on the bike it can really affect your final results.

10. So your first Kona in October and you backed up at Noosa 7 weeks later finishing 4th/169. Most people could not do that. How did you manage that?

I don't really know!! I took about 4 days off, doing absolutely nothing after Kona, then just eased my way back into it. I threw in a couple of speed-ish sessions, but not too many as Mel told me not to go too hard - but at the same time I was stressing that I needed to get my speed up.

This was where I really struggled and missed having a coach. Sure, I had trained myself for 6 years, but I got so used to having Mel to tell me what to do for the past 14 months, that I now had no clue, and that's why I really struggled for the first couple of weeks. Anyway, seemed I did something right! LOL! I was disappointed with how my bike leg placing compared to my swim and run, thus the focus on my bike training now. It'll be interesting to see if I can improve it!