Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Turtle

Bike set up - thoughts. As aero as possible.

38 posts in this topic

After any input on my bike set-up here.

Without bothering with bike fit aspects (such as no aggressive enough), any thoughts on my set up for hydration and spares?

Im trying to get the bike as aero as possible within the fit of me. So no thought to rider shape, weight or fitness.

My spares are in the rocket pocket, with co2 under the bta bottle. Only need one water bottle on board.

Thoughts?

Kestrel set up https://imgur.com/gallery/eYsw5

Does BTA bottle direction matter?

That cage looks horrible side on.

Can you not put the garmin on the stem?

Small chain ring photo minus 2 points. :)

I have it with the top facing me, and when my arms are on the aerobars its tucked in perfectly. I agree the cage looks rubbish from the side - but with a bottle in it its much better.

Garmin on the stem? Nah, I wouldn't see it. It sits right between my hands.

I'll try and take a photo with my arms on the bars and add that too.

** the fact I'm so weak I actually need it in the small ring sometimes? minus a butt load more than 2 points! ** :sleepy::shy:

Bottle direction shouldn't matter.

it looks good to me. Â Inspect the bike for cracks often. Â

Are these risky for it? I bought it new in 2011. Done IMs and 70.3s. And a wee bit of training.......

Yes a few people have had many issues with cracks with their Kestrals

Are these risky for it? I bought it new in 2011. Done IMs and 70.3s. And a wee bit of training.......

NEW BIKE TIME!!!!!

2 people like this

On closer inspection it looks like it may have had a crack in the frame at one point so they removed half of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 people like this

On closer inspection it looks like it may have had a crack in the frame at one point so they removed half of it.

Possibly with a hacqsaw

1 person likes this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold

That's pretty good really

I've seen a lot worse on far more expensive bikes , the amount of shit some people have hanging of there bikes and in the wind amazes me

You could make a comedy show that went for hrs if you had a video on at bike check in for IM

On,y thing u could do would be to try and put the pads closer together, so your frontal area is smaller

1 person likes this

I'm with IP. You're about as aero as you're going to get. I like those kestrels for the clean profile they have around the frame. There's only the usual things that catch the wind and even less disturbing the wind that leaves the trailing edges of the bike.

I wouldn't bother about moving your elbows any closer together. Any minor aero gain will be at the cost of you being able to open your chest up fully to breathe while riding.

cheers for the feedback.

In an IM or 70.3 I usually have half a bike shop hanging off it somewhere - one of IvP's comedians.

Ive tried to clean it up as best I knew how for my next race which is only a sprint. I like the aero tubing on the bike and reckon it looks weird, but unique. Like me.

The new range of tri bikes seem to have a variety of missing bits (seat tubes, seat stays, top tubes....), so I figure I'm a trend setter - or resetter. Reckon flares will come back?

cheers for the feedback.

In an IM or 70.3 I usually have half a bike shop hanging off it somewhere - one of IvP's comedians.

Ive tried to clean it up as best I knew how for my next race which is only a sprint. I like the aero tubing on the bike and reckon it looks weird, but unique. Like me.

The new range of tri bikes seem to have a variety of missing bits (seat tubes, seat stays, top tubes....), so I figure I'm a trend setter - or resetter. Reckon flares will come back?

Setup looks very similar to mine except I have a small saddle bag instead of the bag on the top tube.

Garmin, BTA bottle facing backwards etc, all the same except I have an extra bottle on the frame and that gets me through a half.

What else are you adding in for doing a half? And is this sprint race local?

On,y thing u could do would be to try and put the pads closer together, so your frontal area is smaller

This could also be counter productive. A slight tilt upwards would have more benefits

This could also be counter productive. A slight tilt upwards would have more benefits

Not for me

cheers for the feedback.

Do u have a before pic for comedy status ?

Lol

Setup looks very similar to mine except I have a small saddle bag instead of the bag on the top tube.

Garmin, BTA bottle facing backwards etc, all the same except I have an extra bottle on the frame and that gets me through a half.

What else are you adding in for doing a half? And is this sprint race local?

I guess ive always just run a crap setup. I get a bit paranoid about flats, so generally carry 2 tubes and a multitool. That usually went in a screw bottle in a behind the seat 2 bottle rack. My co2 rack was attached there, and a second water bottle. Xlab rocket pocket was for nutrition and salt tabs etc. And a minipump in case of co2 missfire.

And asthma meds. And for IM depending on my nutrition plan maybe a 3rd bottle on the downtube.

Like i said, crap setup. I wasnt going for sheep stations and just wanted to finish.

The sprint isnt local - over in adelaide. Bit of a hike, but trying to get around some diferent races and places this year. And no long stuff.

Do u have a before pic for comedy status ?

Lol

No one needs to see that. Just make it up in your head and laugh. Less traumatic!!