Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Horowitz

Cheapest way to ship a bike from Europe

9 posts in this topic

Hey,

I have two bicycles in Germany which are with a friend and I need to bring them to Australia.

Is there a cheap way to ship them? All the quotations I have been getting are pretty insane ($700+ per bike??!??!?)

I know if I just went over and got them it would be easier to put them as excess baggage on the plane, but I would like them here for Summer and i'm not planning on heading back until at least next year.

Thanks in advance!

Is there a cheap way to ship them? All the quotations I have been getting are pretty insane ($700+ per bike??!??!?)

Pretty much matches what I found a few years ago.

They are just too big using the volumetric freight measures.

Can u bring me back a canyon also????

1 person likes this

Try sevenseas worldwide.

They do door to door. Ive used them a few times from London to Aus and vice versa.

To give an indication i paid about $1400 door to door for about 20 large boxes plus 3 bike boxes...

The problem is that its the first couple of boxes that are expensive..... so you might find 2 bikes not that much less expensive than 2 bikes plus a pallet of other stuff.

1 person likes this

The problem is that its the first couple of boxes that are expensive..... so you might find 2 bikes not that much less expensive than 2 bikes plus a pallet of other stuff.

So Horowitz will be able to bring me back a canyon and it won't cost him anymore

Cool :-)

Lol

Cheers

Ivp

2 people like this

I have sent stuff, including bikes, as unaccompanied baggage. It's fast but the drawback is you have to take stuff to the airport cargo terminal and get it checked in then pick it up at the destination and get it thru customs as well - it's not door to door.

Just sent 70kg ( including my bike ) from Abu Dhabi to Bangkok. It was $AUD 2.90 per kilo and to Sydney it was $5.05 per kilo.

If you have the time, it's a good option.

Can u bring me back a canyon also????

If you're serious, yes.

I have sent stuff, including bikes, as unaccompanied baggage. It's fast but the drawback is you have to take stuff to the airport cargo terminal and get it checked in then pick it up at the destination and get it thru customs as well - it's not door to door.

Just sent 70kg ( including my bike ) from Abu Dhabi to Bangkok. It was $AUD 2.90 per kilo and to Sydney it was $5.05 per kilo.

If you have the time, it's a good option.

What airline? If you could pass on some details that would be amazing, as bringing it/picking it up from the airport isn't an issue.

Try sevenseas worldwide.

They do door to door. Ive used them a few times from London to Aus and vice versa.

To give an indication i paid about $1400 door to door for about 20 large boxes plus 3 bike boxes...

Tried their website but it's 500euro's a bike and I don't have any other things so not worth it

If you're serious, yes.

t

I see if I can get one out of Germany

H,

This trip I used Etihad Cargo. You should be able to find a contact number at their website if they fly to the city you're departing from.

I have also used Qatar Airways out of Doha to Sydney.

Emirates also fly to plenty of German / European destinations so you could also check their Cargo website as they fly thru to Australian cities.

When booking, I have always requested the cargo arrival date a few days after I arrived back in Sydney. They will call once it arrives and you can also track it online. The cargo terminal is right next to the International Terminal and you can drive in there.

Head to the Customs office with your passport and Airway Bill and you fill in forms and get sent from window to window getting stamps and approvals and pay customs clearance fees ( can't remember what it was ).

Careful with declared value and insurance and state they are used, as they will sting you if you declare to have $15k in bikes coming in if they are new.

I think it took me around 2 hours to jump thru the hoops but the savings were worth it.

1 person likes this