Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turtle

Pyongyang Marathon

44 posts in this topic

Going to sign up for the April 7th, 6 night tour. Keen???!!!!!

No sorry Turtle, have signed up for the Thermatech Triple Trail challenge and first one is on the 8th of April.

Something I'm interested in though, maybe 2018

Must admit, even I looked at the website....but I think i like the polar marathon with the polar bear challenge (full and half on 2 days).....

Well I did it! An absolutely amazing experience.  Unfortunately the Friday before I flew out they changed the cut off time from 4hr 30min back to 4hours.  Having done an ankle ligament and generally being a turtle, I knew that was out of reach but I made it back to the stadium in 4hr 23-26...wasn't allowed to do the final 400m. So a DNF medal kind of...kind of not.  Due to the time pressure, they stopped providing aid stations after the 25km mark for us slowies. They even started removing the road cones which provide directions. Harsh! 

Towards the end the yellow sweeper bus tried to make me get on and end my race. I refused.  With 2km to go this guy goes "miss, you are the last, get on the bus".   I rather boldy (stupidly? bravely?) replied "I'm not the last and I'm not getting on your bus.  They probably don't get many interactions with tall, western, strong women!  A few others had got on the bus and told me afterwards, they wish they hadn't. So I'm glad I stuck to my guns. I 

North Korea (or DPRK as they like to be referred to) is an incredible place.  So normal and pretty in some respects but of course strange and sad in others.  Luckily the complete lack of communications kept  us in semi-ignorant bliss of what was going on on the grander scale.

If/when things calm down I would not hesitate to recommend joining Koryo Tours (sponsors of the marathon and organizer of 6 marathon tour groups). It's certainly a marathon with a difference.

My next marathon is Medoc in Bordeaux - a run and giggle around the chateaus in costume and drinking wine. I'm aiming for 8hrs!! ha ha.  A bit different to Pyongyang I'm sure.

8 people like this

That's incredible Turtle, awesome stuff. Well done for sticking to your guns.

Finished it as far as i'm concerned

2 people like this

Was wondering how you went.....they showed some footage on the SBS news. Didn't seem like huge numbers running, but did show the stadium full of spectators. Those they interviewed seemed happy and spoke positvely of the experience. Well done.

4 hours ago, skel said:

Was wondering how you went.....they showed some footage on the SBS news. Didn't seem like huge numbers running, but did show the stadium full of spectators. Those they interviewed seemed happy and spoke positvely of the experience. Well done.

The North Koreans only put their elite in for the 42km, 21km and 10km - so only westerners up the back!  The stadium was full and walking in was like walking in to the Olympics (not that I'd actually know). It was fabulous.  Apart from lack of aid stations post 25km and them dismantling the course, it was brilliantly organised and the course this year was an out and back unlike previous years where it was 4 x 10km loops - so, much better.

2 people like this

Does Kim Jong Un's dad still hold the record over there? I heard it was well under the 2hr mark, but the lad was looking to take it under 1 this year.

On 8/22/2016 at 7:26 PM, roxii said:

According to Kim Jong Il's biography, he first picked up a golf club in 1994, at North Korea's only golf course, and shot a 38-under par round that included no fewer than 11 holes in one. Satisfied with his performance, he reportedly immediately declared his retirement from the sport.

To correct you, he only had 5 holes-in-one!  

Spectacular @Turtle I am so impressed that you not only did it but argued with the sweeper!  

Would love to see a full race report if you ever feel like writing one. 

Edited by PaperMan
2 people like this

awesome Turtle! would love not just full race report but trip report!! always interested in hearing the crazy/sad/weird of countries esp. something like NK/DPRK!

2 people like this

Wow, you are very brave.

1 person likes this

On 4/21/2017 at 5:12 AM, Rocket Salad said:

I didn't hear it but then again our hotel was on a semi-island so that we couldn't leave.  A huge hotel of about 48 storeys. I was on the 25th floor and you can open the windows!! Gorgeous view. The river and city look spectacular on a sunny morning. 

They do have patriotic music on the metro and on big screens in the squares. 

I'll aim to write a report and add some pics soon.