Mungo

Kona Advice Please

370 posts in this topic

Oh and 1 more thing, re: swimming.

Coming from Canberra, it's either the murky lake, or an indoor pool for training, so suffice to say swimming isn't my favourite discipline. But over there, the water is magic - clear, calm, warm and full of life.

To ease my guilt over not riding or running, I just swam everyday.

Everyone goes down to Dig Me beach to turn the arms over and it's a bit packed for a few hundred metres out. So I just put my head down and went further out.

The buoys are in place for race day and you can swim the whole way.

To be 2 km out at sea, still able to see the bottom and looking back to town is a thrill. I saw fish, turtles and incredibly 2 pods of dolphins swim under me as I swam out. It was just a shame no one else was around to see it as well

1 person likes this

I nearly shat my pants at the little beach behind Transition in front of the resort when a fn' seal popped its head out of the water in front of me.

I lost 1 of my 9 lives that day.

Saw on the news a couple of nights later, it bit some kid and was being a nuisance so it's probably a pair of socks now.

I still cringe thinking about that day.

1 person likes this

Yes, you need a car to see other parts of the island. We aren't pro's and this isn't our job.

I see triathlon as a lifestyle and a bloody good one, so get that car and explore. The little things make it so special ie: if you drive up to the Volcano you will go past "the Southern most Bakery in the United States. No big deal really, but very unique.

1 person likes this

Have to agree with IRonmanfoz. Get out & explore the island.

For me, Ironman (ESP Kona) is a lot like Disneyland. You have your die hard tragics who love wearing everything Disney, visit the park every holiday, know all the bullshit facts & history etc

For others it's just another theme park

Do you need a car?

If your only going for a week and just plan to do the race and not go anywhere else then no

Espually where u are staying, you walk everywhere anyway

Cheers

Ivp

I went ages ago, and with mates, not family. We were about 1km out of town & went for nearly 3 weeks, but only hired a car for the last week. We did a lot of riding in the first couple of weeks. It was great sight seeing, and we acclimatized well. During that time though we also hired scooters to get up to Hawi and have a look around.

We didn't use the car to get around town though, as it was easier to walk or swim in to town.

I went ages ago, and with mates, not family. We were about 1km out of town & went for nearly 3 weeks, but only hired a car for the last week. We did a lot of riding in the first couple of weeks. It was great sight seeing, and we acclimatized well. During that time though we also hired scooters to get up to Hawi and have a look around.

We didn't use the car to get around town though, as it was easier to walk or swim in to town.

Now your showing off :-)

Cheers

Ivp

Cool. I might leave the car for when my mum arrives. She can pay for that ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good one..... And tell her to get swim fit too. She could do the coffee boat too. Bet its something she will never forget.

Cool. I might leave the car for when my mum arrives. She can pay for that ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Exactly what we did. When one of my mate's Mum arrived, we got the car.

We could then swim in to town and she'd turn up with a change of clothes. I couldn't quite bring myself to strutting around town in speedos like the Germans. :)

Hi All,

I really appreciate the solid advice and the amount of time you guys have put into providing me with information - a huge thank you.

Mjainoz - it rolled down one slot - There were 4 slots for our 55-59 age group. Kevin Fergusson got first and didn't take his slot; 2nd and 3rd where Japanese and they took their slots; I (obviously) took my 4th slot and then Perry Nation who came 5th took the roll-down. So, it only rolled down one slot.

The Japanese roll downs were after the main roll downs so I don't know the impact they had on our age group as such. However I do know of a Japanese guys who due to the way the 75 slots were allocated, and then the Japanese roll downs happened, that he was 22nd in his age group and got a (Japanese) roll-down. I think I would not have been happy if I was 21st in that age group and didn't get a slot!

1 person likes this

The Japanese roll downs were after the main roll downs so I don't know the impact they had on our age group as such. However I do know of a Japanese guys who due to the way the 75 slots were allocated, and then the Japanese roll downs happened, that he was 22nd in his age group and got a (Japanese) roll-down. I think I would not have been happy if I was 21st in that age group and didn't get a slot!

The impact it would have had would have been to make it harder to KQ. Chances are if there had have been an IM Japan, those 2 that beat you would have been there, not here, and the guy that came 7th on the weekend would have KQed by coming 5th.

And if you think the guy in 21st would be unhappy, think of the guy in 6th.

1 person likes this

yeah but remember their race got totally cancelled so when you look that some japanese might have already come to cairns to race and try and qualify (They should in theory be in the main draw/pool) and then the extras that came due to the extra 15 spots should be in the other pool.

I actually think WTC did that 100% correct hing in the slots case

Hire a bike from cycle worx

Nothing available for race day. What a great idea though!

Nothing available for race day. What a great idea though!

I'll fly your bike in and out and maintain it while in Kona no worries

Just pay for my flight and accom and get a new bike !!!!!

:-)

Cheers

Ivp

2 people like this

Cranky there is also cycle station and bike works waikoloa you could try.

1 person likes this

Have done up my schedule. Couldn't attach it so here's a few screen shots. ..

fc0ca40c89d63e43c35408450a169fca.jpg645d67116a5f8ed4ce2b60bc393137ca.jpg69cc08626965d8f8ee2693dfac6057c0.jpg9624c31d97bd0f2a4498dd0601101079.jpgfddaf719930f846e6dd4a4be13a3df8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Need to add Pearl Harbor

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Must add manta ray dive with Neptune Charlie's

Book it now , because NC are the best and u don't want to go,with anyone else

Cheers

Ivp

1 person likes this

Wot about undies run and athlete parade?

1 person likes this