Go Easy

Trail Running

121 posts in this topic

Anyone doing Six Foot Track? I'm in for my first real trail run.

I'm doing 6 Foot for the first time since 2011 (I think). Have done SFA running in the last 6 months but got through the Knapsack 6 Hour trail race on Australia Day.

My original plan was to enter 6 Foot to ensure I had some running in my legs by Port in May. That plan is yet to work.

Really looking forward to 6 Foot though. It will obviously be run at a very cruisy pace and Fri and Sat evening will spent hanging out with about 10 friends in a wonderful house in Katoomba, overlooking the bush.

It's going to be fun weekend.

1 person likes this

Paperman, my advice for a first-timer:

• Walk anything which even looks like a hill. Conserve energy that can be better utilised later in the race. Walk strongly with purpose.
  • Don't trash your legs on the descents. Run the downhills fluidly and gently without the jolting braking that trashes the quads.
  • The real race starts at top of Pluvi. Arriving there in a good shape will set up the rest of the race. The better condition you are in at the point, the better your finish time. Arrive there feeling strong and the next section along Black Range is totally runnable and you will pass heaps of fellow runners. Burn a match or two too many and Black Range is a monotonous slog before the final climbs along the Deviation.
  • The long descent to Caves House is steep, at times loose and rocky, and nasty on the quads. This is where you either rejoice that you looked after your quads or regret that you didn't.
  • The final few hundred metres as you descend to the finishline adjacent to Caves House in the packed natural amphitheatre is possibly the best of any event in Australia; an atmospheric, emotionally charged and beautiful conclusion to a rewarding event.

Enjoy! :smile1:

5 people like this

Thank Paul, I really appreciate that advice. I'm looking forward to it!

Paperman, my advice for a first-timer:

• Walk anything which even looks like a hill. Conserve energy that can be better utilised later in the race. Walk strongly with purpose.
  • Don't trash your legs on the descents. Run the downhills fluidly and gently without the jolting braking that trashes the quads.
  • The real race starts at top of Pluvi. Arriving there in a good shape will set up the rest of the race. The better condition you are in at the point, the better your finish time. Arrive there feeling strong and the next section along Black Range is totally runnable and you will pass heaps of fellow runners. Burn a match or two too many and Black Range is a monotonous slog before the final climbs along the Deviation.
  • The long descent to Caves House is steep, at times loose and rocky, and nasty on the quads. This is where you either rejoice that you looked after your quads or regret that you didn't.
  • The final few hundred metres as you descend to the finishline adjacent to Caves House in the packed natural amphitheatre is possibly the best of any event in Australia; an atmospheric, emotionally charged and beautiful conclusion to a rewarding event.
Enjoy! :smile1:

Great advice and regarding the decent down to Caves House, it's by far the best run finish I've ever done! :thumbsup:

It was also the most painful! :sleepy:

I'll be out there, not excited at all!! I've still been riding and running this week, Im heading into one of those "long catered training days" :-(

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

How did everyone go? I finished my first one. Great event

Also finished. Happy and had a lot of fun. Very different to anything I've done before.

Wading through rivers, climbing over fences, and so much ascent. Great support from RFS.

Speed walked past Paul Every spending time with someone who was struggling a bit I think, then he jogged past me later and gave me a bit of advice on where we were and what was coming up. Some great folks in trail running.

3 people like this

Paperman, that was probably just me doing the struggling when you passed me......or at least playing it somewhat conservatively at that stage.

Hope everyone is pulling up OK today.

1 person likes this

Paperman, that was probably just me doing the struggling when you passed me......or at least playing it somewhat conservatively at that stage.

Hope everyone is pulling up OK today.

I can't move. Im absolutely broken!!! Sorest I have ever been. That last km or so was just horrendous. I cramped in places I didn't know existed.

1 person likes this

I can't move. Im absolutely broken!!! Sorest I have ever been. That last km or so was just horrendous. I cramped in places I didn't know existed.

So, ... next year then?

So, ... next year then?

Ha!! Never again as a "side project". I had no taper, ran 30km the Sunday prior and did a full normal week of bike and swim. Totally underestimated it. If I do it next year there won't be an Ironman program wrapped around it!

My quads are making themselves known. Did a recovery jog and felt good but I'm avoiding the stairs at work.

So I just signed up for UTA100.

1 person likes this

My quads are making themselves known. Did a recovery jog and felt good but I'm avoiding the stairs at work.

So I just signed up for UTA100.

I got really bad calf cramps about 500m from the finish, my quads are sore, but not too bad...My calves are absolutely destroyed. No UTA for me, ever!

Any trannies joining Antisport and myself at Sharpies beer run on the peninsula this Saturday?

1 person likes this

Great advice and regarding the decent down to Caves House, it's by far the best run finish I've ever done! :thumbsup:

It was also the most painful! :sleepy:

I got really bad calf cramps about 500m from the finish, my quads are sore, but not too bad...My calves are absolutely destroyed.

Haha, told ya so!

But how great is that finish!!! :thumbup:.

Well done, to everyone who had a go, this is a run worth at least doing once!

1 person likes this

Haha, told ya so!

But how great is that finish!!! [emoji106].

Well done, to everyone who had a go, this is a run worth at least doing once!

Finish was awesome, no denying that! Such a friendly atmosphere. A definite bucket list race.

I was happy enough to finish in 4:44 as a first attempt

1 person likes this

I was happy enough to finish in 4:44 as a first attempt.

That's a very good time on such a tough course, well done!

1 person likes this

That's a very good time on such a tough course, well done!

Thanks! Best thing about doing something like this for the first time is having no expectations, no pressure and a guaranteed pb time!

1 person likes this

On 14/03/2017 at 0:35 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Any trannies joining Antisport and myself at Sharpies beer run on the peninsula this Saturday?

Top Day! Thank you for your help :)

Did the Jabulani 45k today at Bobbin Head. Probably just as hard as Six Foot if not harder. 

Saw a Tranny hat but couldn't catch him. Finally did after the race and had a quick chat. Older than me but faster. Can't remember his name...

On 02/06/2016 at 1:19 PM, Tyno said:

I saw this linked from the BTR facebook group - http://www.gser100.com.au

I don't know what sort of ironpo person would even contemplate doing this :D

Just saw Tyno's post from a while back.  Trying to waste a bit of time while I wait  to get out the front door for Easter..

My wife Liz got an invite and is enterred.

Currently doing a 100k event each month in training.   She just clocked up her 35th 100k event with a handfull of milers on top of that.  Separately, she's training on the course at least once a month with a few people that  she does a bit of Expedition Racing with.

The real benefit is that I get dragged around a bit running in some pretty speccy places.

6 people like this