Go Easy

Trail Running

149 posts in this topic

Since this is an Off Road Forum then trail running probably has it's place here.

I've really been enjoying some trail running over the past year or so. I went to this one last year with a group of friends and had a great time. Not so many of us going back this year as it clashes with a few other events, but for anyone who enjoys camping, getting away from it all and running a few trails, it's a great weekend.

http://www.glowwormtrail.com/

And for those who wonder what we get out of it...

Edited by Go Easy

I had an awesome weekend up there 2 years ago, missed last year but heading back up there for this one.

1 person likes this

I'll be preparing for Coastal High 50 in the Gold Coast hinterland this winter. Looking forward to the training. I feel ill be more prepared than any triathlon I've done. Just due to it being 1 discipline.

http://www.coastalhigh.com.au

1 person likes this

I'll be preparing for Coastal High 50 in the Gold Coast hinterland this winter. Looking forward to the training. I feel ill be more prepared than any triathlon I've done. Just due to it being 1 discipline.

http://www.coastalhigh.com.au

Looks like a good one to do, but I think it clashes with the WC 70.3 on the Sunshine Coast. Might have to pencil it in for next year though if it goes alright.

http://www.wonderlandrun.com.au/

Doing this one (20km distance only this year, aiming for the longer one next year), haven't been in the Grampians since before I had kids so looking forward to getting back there.

2 people like this

Doing this one (20km distance only this year, aiming for the longer one next year), haven't been in the Grampians since before I had kids so looking forward to getting back there.

Yep, got some friends who did it last year and reckon it's the best trail run they've done. Unfortunately it clashes with a local Trail Marathon that I usually help out with. Might have to do a rebel run over the course on a different weekend maybe.

I went for a run yesterday. And whilst cooling down and stretching I started talking to a lady who I found out through the conversation, is a trail runner/Ultra runner. She was cool as! Friendly and down to earth, awesome person. She's getting ready for the Big Red Run, sounded bloody serious! She was saying that the trail running community is very very laid back and helpful to be part of, I like the idea of trail running but I need to get rid of the Tri bug first. Maybe later in life? It would be great to get out into nature.

1 person likes this

I went for a run yesterday. And whilst cooling down and stretching I started talking to a lady who I found out through the conversation, is a trail runner/Ultra runner. She was cool as! Friendly and down to earth, awesome person. She's getting ready for the Big Red Run, sounded bloody serious! She was saying that the trail running community is very very laid back and helpful to be part of, I like the idea of trail running but I need to get rid of the Tri bug first. Maybe later in life? It would be great to get out into nature.

. I have two mates into. Both in their 50s and sub three hour marathoner level. Tough guys. They love it. And they are travelling to some crazy places for their runs!
2 people like this

Looking to get into it when this knee gets better. I grew up running through Bunya Forest, and my fav run in recent years is the single track MTB stuff that they've built in there. It really is a great way to run.

I like the idea of trail running but I need to get rid of the Tri bug first. Maybe later in life? It would be great to get out into nature.

You can do both FFF. Just change your run training to forest running, and start with the smaller trail races.

2 people like this

You can do both FFF. Just change your run training to forest running, and start with the smaller trail races.

Have to agree with Ex, nothing wrong with mixing a bit of trail running and racing into your tri program.

Growing up on the edge of the bush in Sydney, the trails were an obvious starting point for me when I started running as a teenager. You don't need anything special to get out there. Just a desire for a bit of fun and adventure, and a pair of road shoes are just fine.

The softer trails are also kind on the body, the variation in terrain engages the muscles in a multitude of subtly different ways and you'll find hills in the bush that give the opportunity for some quality running.

Go for it. Have fun.

3 people like this

Fully agree Paul, much kinder on the body if you pick your tracks wisely and don't overdo it, and the overall conditioning is much better for injury prevention than pounding out endless k's on a flat path.

It's also easier and much cheaper than triathlon as well and you don't even need to race to get some real enjoyment out of it. Just like in triathlon, I only do the races as an excuse to go to some nice places and meet up with some cool people.

1 person likes this

Â

Looks like a good one to do, but I think it clashes with the WC 70.3 on the Sunshine Coast. Â Might have to pencil it in for next year though if it goes alright.

My wife ran last year. It's a great event. Looking forward to. Couple of training runs out on the course in the next few weeks. Beautiful part of the world.

1 person likes this

Another thing to remember with Trail Running is that it is suitable for anyone regardless of their ability. Even the best guys still spend some time walking on some of the steeper uphills, and it's not a bad idea to even throw a bit of planned uphill walking into your training.

All this talk about trail running is getting me keen to do some running again. Went out and did 20km this morning in Livingston State Forest with a few mates. Walked a couple of sections with one of the girls and soon caught back up to the rest of the group on the flats and downhills. Get out there and get into it FFF, it's worth it!

1 person likes this

Yeah, this is a good run. I wont do the event, but did the course a couple of times when i was training down there. Pretty spectacular course - but the weather can be suprisingly chilly on top, the climbs are steep, the steps big, and look out if its raining (slicker than a soapy slip n slide)!

Love the place.

Â

Bunya Mountains or somewhere else?

Bunyaville state forest. About 12 km north of the city. Awesome place to run.

Trail running is great and as what has been said , the races are far more friendly than tris

Just like MTBing is also

Cheers

Ivp

Has anyone done The Hillary?

I'm keen for the 80km next year. Looks amazing!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Has anyone done The Hillary?

I'm keen for the 80km next year. Looks amazing!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I belive Bill has
1 person likes this

I saw this linked from the BTR facebook group - http://www.gser100.com.au

I don't know what sort of ironpo person would even contemplate doing this :D

Very cool

That is one hell of a course, I have run or walked most of that and there is some hard core areas

Not sur I'm up to that run ATM

Cheers

Ivp

I saw this linked from the BTR facebook group - http://www.gser100.com.au

I don't know what sort of ironpo person would even contemplate doing this :D

I've got some friends planning a very similar course as a rebel run, just for the fun of it.

If you're fit and keen then let us know.