Riddos

AFL 2017

335 posts in this topic

Gotta admit to dark thoughts at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th Q.

Dusty a man amongst boys.

Such a pity we wasted 3 years trying to play the opposite of this style of flowing footy.

Young kids showed promise.

Prestia will rack em up.

Back 6 a definite work in progress if not a total shambles.

Houli all over the place - pressure/chasing/"tackles", but hardly had a touch for a long time.

Without the possession maintenance style, his role needs to change.

Forward pressure was good, needs to be the new standard.

Forward structure wasn't evident.

Griff largely ineffective.

First time I've seen Nankervis in action. He's adequate, but he wasn't as good as Kruezer.

A few blokes need dropping until they can hit a target 3 out of 4 times, not the other way around.

Blues - Silvagni Jr, Kruezer, Gibbs, Young tall skinny forward kid and the bloke who smothered Jack/Griff most of the game all did well.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Tyno said:

Gotta admit to dark thoughts at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th Q.

Dusty a man amongst boys.

Such a pity we wasted 3 years trying to play the opposite of this style of flowing footy.

Young kids showed promise.

Prestia will rack em up.

Back 6 a definite work in progress if not a total shambles.

Houli all over the place - pressure/chasing/"tackles", but hardly had a touch for a long time.

Without the possession maintenance style, his role needs to change.

Forward pressure was good, needs to be the new standard.

Forward structure wasn't evident.

Griff largely ineffective.

First time I've seen Nankervis in action. He's adequate, but he wasn't as good as Kruezer.

A few blokes need dropping until they can hit a target 3 out of 4 times, not the other way around.

Blues - Silvagni Jr, Kruezer, Gibbs, Young tall skinny forward kid and the bloke who smothered Jack/Griff most of the game all did well.

That's a pretty good summary Tyno.

I hate to think were we'd be without Dusty.

Even though they came back at us in the 3rd, I still thought we had them covered.But only because it was a young Carlton team, if it was a more experienced team I think we would have been in big trouble. Looked like we still can't put together 4 quarters.

Good to get the win and let the post Round 1 loss overreactions be elsewhere. Most of the new guys were pretty good.

Tyno summed it up well, Half Back line needs a lot of work, telling that they sent Vlastuin back there in the 4th quarter to shore things up a bit. Jake Batchelor had a good game in VFL yesterday, might be back in the 1sts next week. 

Im going out on a limb here.

FREO for the premiership 2017

I watched the AFLW Grand Final today.

Didn't make the trip to the Coast, but it was a cracking contest.

Always felt the Crows just had a bit extra, which turned out to be Phillips in the 3rd & 4th Q.

Lions game, but out skilled in the end.

Agree Tyno, Crows looked the better team most of the day.

It was the first AFLW game I've watched, great contest. There seemed to be a lot of kicking in hope though, just clearance kicks. Also a fair bit of ball watching rather than ripping in. 

Was hopeful we'd see some silverware come back to the Lions den, maybe just the Clash cup tonight. 

There's always hope before the first game...

So Port won in Sydney for the first time since 2006, I'm hoping for a good year

Tipped Bombers over Hawks but didn't see Port over Swans coming. Swans with a lot of inside 50s but they generally just seemed to pump it in there rather then look for quality leads or players in space.

Hawks play Crows and Swans play Bulldogs next week, will both need to lift to avoid 0-2 starts.  

On a side note, had to stop at KB's statue on my ride last week. One of the reasons I started barracking for the TIges.

17457377_10212515799153707_700270575975295294_n.jpg

1 person likes this

Great opening weekend.  Pies are not likely to make the 8 this year, however if they keep playing like that Buckley is going to be safe.  Really missing the forward structure which with Elliot's return and Moore's and Cox's development should be corrected.  The backline looks much better than previous years, Reids return and the new recruits seemed to go well together.

Kreuzer had a great game, not sure he's glad not to have gone to other clubs now, he really could make a difference at most other clubs with average to good midfields given them first use of the ball.  He's wasted on the Carlton midfield.  Brisbane seems to be putting game play together better so tipping Carlton for the spoon

Will be interesting if Essendon adrenaline of the "return" is going to be sustainable for 22 rounds.  Really question how that many players is going to go with fatigue post round 14 from missing the last season of game legs.  Danniher is going to worry alot of defenders though

Hawthorn - calling it now will not make the 8, they missed Hodge but at best too many other teams have overtaken them based on this rounds playing.  Adelaide is more likely to stay in than them

Read an interesting rumour, Coach Scott (of Nth Melbourne variety), has supposedly had talks with a Qld club about taking over as coach next year.  Suns already putting the flag up for the year or succession planning on Eade already under way

On 3/27/2017 at 10:50 AM, JeffS said:

On a side note, had to stop at KB's statue on my ride last week. One of the reasons I started barracking for the TIges.

17457377_10212515799153707_700270575975295294_n.jpg

They reckon it got a woody when Dusty fired up in the final quarter! LOL

Edited by Pete
mistake
1 person likes this

Looking forward to this round of footy.

Swans vs Pies and Hawks vs Gold Coast in clashes of 0-2 teams, pressure will be building on the losers of those games. Swans rightly favourites but have bought in plenty of youngsters in the last few games, they need Parker, Hanners etc to lift.

Good tests for Tigers and Port vs WCE and Crows in the 2-0 teams. The Showdowns are usually good to watch.

GWS came good vs a woeful Suns last week, North away will be more of a test. Freo rebuild has started 2 weeks late after Ross makes 6 changes.

Interesting how teams are playing the new ruck rules, Cats, Hawks, and Crows have all experimented with not bothering to nominate a proper ruck at times and instead having an extra midfielder at the contest.  

You freaking beauty! Go Tiges, young Rioli getting better by the week.

3 people like this

Ah, Tiggy supporters.  Will they ever learn about early season wins?  Mind you I'd take any win right now.

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

Will they ever learn about early season wins?

2013 is the only other year this century where we have won our first 3 games.

That didn't exactly end well.

Well f#%! me...

Edited by Stikman

So what's the go with Hawthorn? Am I missing something or should I say, are they missing something? 

They got old and dumped 2 guys who were kinda handy for total spuds in the off season.

Hope Vickery isn't taking it all personally, he transfers teams, his old team goes 3-0 very unexpectedly, new team thought to be finals contenders goes 0-3...

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Hope Vickery isn't taking it all personally, he transfers teams, his old team goes 3-0 very unexpectedly, new team thought to be finals contenders goes 0-3...

But Tom Mitchell would have been stuffed either way.

1 person likes this

5-0 Tyno and winning one by being anything but mentally soft.  Impressive!

Of course if they revert to traditional form this will keep Hardwick his job for a few more seasons.  Just to keep things positive.  😜

We got very lucky last night.

Jack stood up all game and Dusty came to the party in the last.

But, Melbourne with a full bench would have held on.

We're still very suspect on anything resembling a big stage.

Is there footy this year?  I am having a gappy from it........

1 person likes this