MackaEvo2

Mandurah 70.3 Discontinued

31 posts in this topic

Oh ****

I was looking at doing this because of its proximity to Perth.

No long travel, no overnight accommodation. Race on a SUNDAY not Saturday FFS.

Surely then they'd have to cut the Busso half teams out to allow more individual entries?

Or.....70.3 the same time as the full AS WELL AS the May 70.3?

Busselton half always sells out and is a great weekend in a holiday town with a festival atmosphere. Mandurah was a race that people travelled down to twice on race weekend and left as soon as they could, making very little money for the city and you were still being encouraged to sign up during check in the day before.

This was inevitable. It doesn't hurt the sport to have an element of scarcity about it.

Disappointing that WA has gone from 3 x Half IM's to one. RIP Albany and Mandurah. On the bright side we still have the biggest and best 70.3 in Australia at Busso.

Those two races will be gone soon. No one likes west Australia, boring, unattractive holiday location with nothing to do.

Those two races will be gone soon. No one likes west Australia, boring, unattractive holiday location with nothing to do.

There is lots to do, you just have to know where to look. That said I would personally like to oversee the kneecapping of every member of the WA tourism board. They have done their utmost to ensure tourism in this state has not only stagnated, but gone backwards.

1 person likes this

It has been suggested one of the reasons why Mandurah was cancelled was because of road safety issues. Not sure how credible that is, but 2 years running I was almost cleaned up by 4WDs as the spanner doing the traffic management at that intersection waved them through as he apparently hadn't noticed me. Luckily they both looked left, saw me and slammed on their brakes. I'm guessing with 1600 other competitors there would have been plenty more near misses and maybe a collision or two.

Edited by zed

My wife and I raced Mandurah for the first time last year and it was one of our all time favourite races. Was looking forward to racing there again. Disappointing

As a race location there are a few issues. The swim is a bit of a mess. Narrow canal, and you end up hitting 3 or 4 waves of slower swimmers and it's just a mess. I had to water polo swim for 300m, swimming in and out and over people.

Traffic Control and the growth of the lakelands housing estate on the bike course had become an issue which was only going to get worse with a new shopping centre about to start construction .

You cannot lock in the occupants and owners of that estate as there is no other way out.

So you end up with cars crossing the course and creating issues that people like ZED had.

Entry numbers had been low and it just didn't stack up because of the infrastructure cost to run it.

I enjoyed racing there, but I think there are better venues that aren't such a logistical nightmare. Dozens of small coastal country towns up and down the coast that could easily host a triathlon, crystal clear water, with very little traffic and obviously the local community would greatly benefit so would no doubt be behind it. I think TWA need to think outside the box.

Edited by zed

You forgot to mention that all us West Australians are cheats.

You forgot to mention that all us West Australians are cheats.

No need. Everybody already knows. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Thanks I forgot about the Rotto long course. It is only 2 weeks after the Busso 70.3, it might struggle to get competitors.

Well yeah, but then there are a lot of people that missed out on Busso that would be getting toey? Does seem a strange time to have it, but then I guess as it was a last minute thing, end of the season was the only time slot. I did the Rotto "half" in October. Good location, ride was brutal though.

No more Melbourne

Sport struggling in aust.

Crossfit

Half marathons

Etc

Taking over

Thanks I forgot about the Rotto long course. It is only 2 weeks after the Busso 70.3, it might struggle to get competitors.

Be a bit cool too

Busselton half always sells out and is a great weekend in a holiday town with a festival atmosphere. Mandurah was a race that people travelled down to twice on race weekend and left as soon as they could, making very little money for the city and you were still being encouraged to sign up during check in the day before.

This was inevitable. It doesn't hurt the sport to have an element of scarcity about it.

Still not good for the folks like myself who can't afford a couple of nights accommodation plus entry plus a Friday off work for Rego etc. Surely they could move Busso 70.3 to the Sunday?

Not having a go at you SM but it's ****ed

Still not good for the folks like myself who can't afford a couple of nights accommodation plus entry plus a Friday off work for Rego etc. Surely they could move Busso 70.3 to the Sunday?

Not having a go at you SM but it's ****ed

Busso is sunday now.

1 person likes this

Rumour has it, that the next 70.3 will be Elizabeth Quay..