goughy

Cardinal Pell

340 posts in this topic

My great uncle was a priest (died), Cardinal Gilroy (years ago) was a relative. My Aunty is a nun (83). There are some spectacular Catholics in the world that do great deeds and give their life for others. My mother and her 2 sisters (not including the nun) devote/devoted their life to helping other people sometimes at the expense of their own life.

Most of the philosophy is not too dissimilar to what most of us want - to look after each other with dignity and respect. Unfortunately the minority of ratbags far outweigh the great work the majority do. That being said, those ratbags need to be accountable for their actions.

FM

Agree with this - "religion" is a fairly universal concept that those with the faculty to accept and respect will follow, without being forced into it. There are widely respected Catholics, Anglicans, Muslims, Jews etc etc who have all done good work, and will probably continue to do so.

For me, the issue becomes real when people are subjected to things they may not believe in because of some "higher being". That, is coercion. And, depending on the severity of the event, needs recourse.

The other point that hasn't come out is the abuse by the nuns in the orphanages / care homes / girls homes. My view is that this is being buried because, as vile as it is to think that these deeds can be perpetrated by men, it is seemingly unthinkable that they would be committed by women. We had evidence of this when working on the Ridsdale civil action, but couldn't locate any of the victims as they had moved away, changed names, gone to ground or committed suicide.

This is going to hit the fan when it comes out!

There's been a few articles about the nuns, one quoted by roxii a few posts back. The main "issue" with the nuns not being mentioned is because I think all of them are now dead.

Its so much bigger than Ballarat. Its worldwide. But the media is so focussed

Just read in the paper that the child abuse commission has heard from approx. 5200 individuals who were abused.

There is another 1600 or so on the waiting list to give evidence.

They are holding 37 closed sessions per day to get through as many victims as possible, but they will have to stop any more applicants from appearing because they are running out of time (Commission due to report in December next year, so need to get onto some other stuff I guess....)

So, nearly 7000 individuals will have given evidence, with the true number probably MUCH MUCH higher (how many have died? how many have buried the abuse to the back of their minds? or are too ashamed to come forward? or who have never admitted it to family, let alone to a royal commission ...??)

By any measure, that's an unbelievable amount of people to have been abused ....

Lucky Catholics can just say 3 hail Mary's and all is good.

Their confessor may also require them to perform some penance, say by counselling troubled youth in the community.

Who knew? Mulkearns really was dying.....

Perhaps there is a God after all.....

So..... do we actually think he may get charged?

Considering that he's still in Rome do you think there's any chance of him being brought to justice if he is?

Putrid f*cking scum, the entire Catholic church.  And if the members of said church won't stand up and send the message to the leaders that they must do something to help bringing these people to account then I include them in that assessment.  There should be empty pews until they stop protecting themselves.

1 person likes this

I did just say charged....... I in no way believe the church will send him home. He'll be holed up in the Vatican for the rest of his life no doubt.

The concerning thing about that is that it would be so easy for the church to throw him to the wolves and would help their public image immensely.  How scared must they be of the dirt he could offer authorities if pushed?

25 minutes ago, goughy said:

I did just say charged....... I in no way believe the church will send him home. He'll be holed up in the Vatican for the rest of his life no doubt.

I'm not a catholic, but I think the current Pope is a good guy and if he Pell was charged, he would send him back to australia.

They wont send the grub back, if he is convicted its coin central, damages, assets..... the Church never puts people before money, the boston grub is case in point.

The grub isnt fit to fly to Australia to face his community but he is fit to fly to London....if he can do that he can fly slowly to Australia old school like, a few hours at a time. 

Its time practising catholics stood up and refused to go to mass until the grub is brought to justice. The hypocrisy is stunning and sad, putting dogma before humanity.

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

They wont send the grub back, if he is convicted its coin central, damages, assets..... the Church never puts people before money, the boston grub is case in point.

The grub isnt fit to fly to Australia to face his community but he is fit to fly to London....if he can do that he can fly slowly to Australia old school like, a few hours at a time. 

Its time practising catholics stood up and refused to go to mass until the grub is brought to justice. The hypocrisy is stunning and sad, putting dogma before humanity.

I couldn't agree more - if he can do a flight like that, he could do one to Australia, old-school. He needs a subpoena to appear and damn the consequences.

They won't though. They'll march along like lemmings every week and follow, follow, follow .... really quite sad.

2 people like this