goughy

Cardinal Pell

340 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where else to put this. Tim Minchin's new single....

Just saw it on the project. Steve Price gave Minchin a serve over the strong language he uses, like calling him a coward. Carrie thought it was musically outstanding and catchy!

Cardinal Pell - prick of the highest order

Yep. if you are Catholic be ashamed

I heard Steve Price's comments - something along the lines that Minchin shouldn't use his musical talent to be disrespectful to Pell, and also that he is a Cardinal and therefore deserves some respect.

I find this a hard argument to follow. How could you possibly be offended by a SONG, but not offended by a powerful man who was responsible for organisations and 'staff' that turned out to contain serial child rapists and abusers?!

Its just absurd to go on national TV to say 'that song is offensive and shows disrespect'.

You know what is offensive and disrespectful? Raping kids, protecting paedophiles, moving known child abusers from town to town to protect them, fighting endless legal battles to prevent justice, protecting the assets of an organisation and so on ....

If there is a hell, there is a special place in it for Pell.

4 people like this

How could you possibly be offended by a SONG, but not offended by a powerful man who was responsible for organisations and 'staff' that turned out to contain serial child rapists and abusers?!

To be fair, he has not been charged with anything nor has any wrongdoing been proven.

However, from the accounts so far I believe his role should be formally investigated and, if there is a case to answer, he should be put on trial.

If he has found to be complicit in the actions or cover-ups then I think he should face the music.

I must admit is really hard to stay objective in all this - some of the first hand accounts are very distressing and the responsible parties are nothing short of monsters.

To be fair, Pell was a senior cleric in parishes all over the state/country that have had thousands of cases of proven child sexual abuse. In all these cases, it has since emerged that there were always stories, complaints, rumours floating about. In many instances known abusers were moved to other parishes, given extensive leave, or other measures to hide their crimes. In one case in the Hunter an abuse victim hung himself from the rafters of the local church, with a suicide note, saying he had tried for years to get the church to accept responsibility for his abuse (he actually survived..)

I find it vey hard to believe that Pell, being in a senior position in many of theses places, and knowing that there are thousands of cases, never heard anything, ever ..... all this going on around him, and he is the guy in charge and he had no inkling? Even when parents had approached him directly he didn't know?

What sort of leader hears about a guy hanging himself in a church, and has no clue why?

What sort of leader has parents approach him with claims of abuse, but ignores them?

But lets assume he didn't know. Lets assume he was either completely oblivious or incompetent and knew nothing about abuse.

When abuse became widely known, and victims started appearing, Pell then went about procuring legal services to protect the church, going so far as to accompany known paedophile priests to court, providing character references and assisting with them avoiding prosecution, using the wide and extensive influence and financial power of the church.

At the same time, he failed to use any of that power and money to assist victims.... in fact, he spent millions not in helping victims, but in trying to silence them and cover things up. This is well documented.

Regardless of whether he is found legally guilty, surely as a 'man of God' he has some responsibility towards victims?

7 people like this

I heard Steve Price's comments - something along the lines that Minchin shouldn't use his musical talent to be disrespectful to Pell, and also that he is a Cardinal and therefore deserves some respect.

Utter tosh from Steve Price! Any person who holds a position in a made-up hierarchy within an institution that makes made-up its business is absolutely NOT entitled to any special respect! FFS!

3 people like this

You earn respect. It isn't a perk of any job! Just ask TA! I would like to say the way we spoke about our previous PM was wrong, but he asked for it.

Pricey said he's fronted the commission in the past so what's the issue. Well fronting up means nothing. What he says there is the issue at hand. And clearly it hasn't been sufficient enough cause they want to question him a third time.

I dont get why, because he is "too sick" to travel, that now the inquest has to sit in the middle of the night so poor old Pell can lie in local time.

FFS!!!

3 people like this

Worth noting that the Doctor who detailed him being too sick to travel is the vatican's own doctor - now that's an independent assessment for you, and absolutely no conflict of interest!

3 people like this

Worth noting that the Doctor who detailed him being too sick to travel is the vatican's own doctor - now that's an independent assessment for you, and absolutely no conflict of interest!

It worked for Skase, and that was only a fraction of the money that was involved compared to potential litigation out of this one

I'd love to see the Australian government say no tax free status for the church until he fronts, however I don't think either side wants to take the chance of losing every catholic vote

You know what is offensive and disrespectful? Raping kids, protecting paedophiles, moving known child abusers from town to town to protect them, fighting endless legal battles to prevent justice, protecting the assets of an organisation and so on ....

Pulling a "Christopher Skase" yup, I'm calling it that. Feign illness to get out of facing the music.

1 person likes this

Pulling a "Christopher Skase" yup, I'm calling it that. Feign illness to get out of facing the music.

In fairness to Skase, he did die...

2 people like this

I'd love to see the Australian government say no tax free status for the church

Fixed that for you

3 people like this

I think there are a couple of good things to come out of this (in my opinion, and others will probably disagree):

1. In giving Pell permission to give evidence from abroad, the commission has removed any ability of a fair minded person to say they have been biased against the church. If the commissioner was completely bloody minded and demanded Pell to return the church would be crying about how biased the commissioner was in not taking into account Pell's medical condition. By allowing Pell to appear via video it kills of any argument of bias. So, if it comes down to it and the commission recommends charges (or some other action) be levelled against Pell/the church, then it takes any heat out of the argument that the commission was biased all along .... after all, wouldn't a biased commissioner have demanded he attend, regardless of health complaints.

2. This whole sorry affair has really given huge public attention to how evil and disgraceful the catholic church is. I hope there is a huge battle down the track with the commission/police/authorities demanding Pell to be returned and Pell refusing - it would show the wider public what a god-aweful institution the church is! Pell will go down as the Christopher Skase of the catholic church.

3. Which brings me to my final point. Can anyone name one person that has any type of respect for Skase? That's where this will go, and the vast majority of the Australian public will see the church in the same light they see people like Christopher Skase - scum who will do anything to protect themselves, even if it means screwing over everyone else.

3 people like this

3. Which brings me to my final point. Can anyone name one person that has any type of respect for Skase? That's where this will go, and the vast majority of the Australian public will see the church in the same light they see people like Christopher Skase - scum who will do anything to protect themselves, even if it means screwing over everyone else.

I think it is much much worse in this case. Noone really expects a millionaire businessman to be doing things for any motive other than to further their own wealth.

Pell is supposed to be "employed" solely for the greater good and a "higher purpose" and to fulfill gods words and work.

So it could be argued that Skase just did what he was "employed to do" but did it illegally and most would not be too surprised.

Pell is going against all he was "employed" to do and all he has been talking, preaching and lecturing others on for his entire life. Unfortunately now though the catholic church are now getting viewed as corrupt businessmen where we will start seeing this as the expectation rather than the exception.

2 people like this

The commission took the wrong approach, I would have asked if he was fine to travel to Spain, I hear they hold some pretty good inquisitions there. Doubt he would expect that

Are we sure? ;)

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I think there are a couple of good things to come out of this (in my opinion, and others will probably disagree):

1. In giving Pell permission to give evidence from abroad, the commission has removed any ability of a fair minded person to say they have been biased against the church. If the commissioner was completely bloody minded and demanded Pell to return the church would be crying about how biased the commissioner was in not taking into account Pell's medical condition. By allowing Pell to appear via video it kills of any argument of bias. So, if it comes down to it and the commission recommends charges (or some other action) be levelled against Pell/the church, then it takes any heat out of the argument that the commission was biased all along .... after all, wouldn't a biased commissioner have demanded he attend, regardless of health complaints.

2. This whole sorry affair has really given huge public attention to how evil and disgraceful the catholic church is. I hope there is a huge battle down the track with the commission/police/authorities demanding Pell to be returned and Pell refusing - it would show the wider public what a god-aweful institution the church is! Pell will go down as the Christopher Skase of the catholic church.

Great post.

* My father was a uniting church minister

Imagine if you could temporarily be the Grim-Reaper, like Homer Simpson.

I think I could manage to clear out a lot of the trash, in a short while... you, you, you, you, ok not-you, you, you, you, and-you...

Pasting below my quickly penned rant on wife's Facebook link to the video.

"If that Cardinal was a half decent human being he would come home and risk his health/life to help those that suffered abuse get answers.

What he sacred of dying ??

Why would he be?

Scared of the truth more like it .....

He will be coached in his answers and be able to control same far more easily via video link.

Unfortunately ... Like most organisations the ones at the top are often not the ones that have the best interests of their "customers" in mind. More worried about their own success. Life in the sanctuary of the Vatican State v's an enquiry in Victoria??

He should man up and face up. Anyhow. If there is a (his) god, I would think there a good chance he won't make it through the pearly gates but will get sent to that other place.

Rant over ...."

Edited by Mjainoz
1 person likes this

If there is a (his) god, I would think there a good chance he won't make it through the pearly gates but will get sent to that other place.

Rant over ...."

yeah but the Catholics can just say 3 hail Mary's and all is forgiven.

This thread is interesting. Not one Catholic defending their religion.

Then again we all do a sport that takes place on a sunday morning when they are at church asking for forgiveness

I'm not feeling so bad now about all that dancing around Stonehenge in goat leggings what my bruva and I done in the 80's :punk: