Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diamonds

Canberra MTB riding

40 posts in this topic

So back again.

Rode Sparrow Hill short loop (plus some add-ons) with the young tacker today. There is something great about breathing that pine forest air.

Enjoyable riding but I personally prefer the variety of Stromlo a little more. I think I prefer more elevation change both up and down in an off road ride.

Stromlo in the morning. Either Majura or a whip around Bruce Ridge in the arvo. They are certainly spoilt for choice down here.

Does anyone know if there is decent riding at Red Hill for a mtb?

Red Hill Mornington peninsula? There's a heap of tracks there. I think there's a website with maps

Red Hill Mornington peninsula? There's a heap of tracks there. I think there's a website with maps

Nah. Canberra. Thanks anyway.

Rode Majura this morning.

I loved the variety of trails and the compact nature, especially the southern corner. When the young bloke got tired, I could do repeats of Planet Claire et al and still be within earshot while he recovered. Stromlo is dead for us once he gets knackered as the ascent to the very back is so long. It is still his fave but Majura is better for us at such differing fitness levels at this point in time.

While the lowland trails are fairly ho hum, they are just short blurts. The warmup tracks and jumps park is fun too.

There are some trails around the back of Mount Ainslee too which I've ridden a few times. The last time I went to Canberra were stayed not far from Majura but a lot of the trails had been logged and it was mostly fire trails left. So I rode south to Mount Ainslee and did a few loops, then later I found Bruce Ridge trails - that saved the weekend.

Rode Majura this morning.

I loved the variety of trails and the compact nature, especially the southern corner.

They might actually be the Mt Ainslee trails

Wish me luck ð© The young bloke is adamant we will be right in the Jayco this weekend so off to Canberra we go. 0-13 temp range. Should be toasty. Front bum free and I did survive a July Lithgow camping trip once so might be ok.

Wish me luck ð© The young bloke is adamant we will be right in the Jayco this weekend so off to Canberra we go. 0-13 temp range. Should be toasty. Front bum free and I did survive a July Lithgow camping trip once so might be ok.

it was minus three on Sunday morn so hope your still alive!!!!!

Haha, reminds me of a camping weekend we did at Newnes near lithgow many years back. 1 of the guys had a chainsaw to cut up some dead wood for the fire and it crapped itself so we were scrounging around looking for sticks all afternoon. From memory it got down to minus 6 or 8 deg and the only stuff that wasn't frozen was the food and beer in the eski! I haven't been camping since! :)
1 person likes this

Yep Sunday morning was coolish. -3.8. I bought 2 x 2000W fan heaters for $19ea from Bunnings after a tip from a mate. Had to turn one off as I was sweating up.

Sunday warmed up ok by mid morning. Monday on the other hand...... It was 2 deg early and was still only 5 deg at 1pm which was ridiculous. On the plus side the trails were near deserted.

If you are passing through, get to Pushys Warehouse at Fyshwick. I bought a decades worth of mtb clothing for the two of us for about $200. Baggy shorts galore with chamois inners for ~$30.

Edited by Diamonds

Yep Sunday morning was coolish. -3.8. I bought 2 x 2000W fan heaters for $19ea from Bunnings after a tip from a mate. Had to turn one off as I was sweating up.

Sunday warmed up ok by mid morning. Monday on the other hand...... It was 2 deg early and was still only 5 deg at 1pm which was ridiculous.

Yep

That's Canberra for ya

I'm going to Stromlo next wednesday on the way from Sydney to Thredbo; this will break up the drive

There will be my 17 year old son and me, after a nice loop that suits me XC, him all mountain. The website has 6 loops listed, any recommendation on the best flowing, rideable one. or do we just follow our nose on trails.

Also any must see MTB bike shops in Canberra?

cheers

Depends, just how all mountain he is. there are some techy all mountain trails out the back not n the website maps and there is a new flow trail (Vapour Trail) also.

Check out this FB page who make the trails: https://www.facebook.com/MakinTraxAustralia/

MTB Loop 2, 3 or 6  will tick a few boxes

1 person likes this

The new vapour trail is great fun.  Rode it almost exclusively for descents three days in a row last week.  You can roll what you dont want to jump.  Great addition to the park and needed with the appeal of Thredbo down the road.

Prefer Cockatoo Switchbacks to Wattle Happen for ascents generally.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, thekeeper said:

Depends, just how all mountain he is. there are some techy all mountain trails out the back not n the website maps and there is a new flow trail (Vapour Trail) also.

Check out this FB page who make the trails: https://www.facebook.com/MakinTraxAustralia/

MTB Loop 2, 3 or 6  will tick a few boxes

Thanks for this i also found Flow's 6 best trails for Stromlo and loop 2  covers the best 2 trails so that may be the go. Also will suggest the Vapour trail for son.

The stop is really to break the travel to Thredbo