Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diamonds

Canberra MTB riding

40 posts in this topic

After some alternatives to Stromlo. Had intended on riding Stromlo with the young fella in Dec, but now find the MTB Nats are there the exact time we are booked. They have sole use of the venue according to the website.

Daughter is swimming Sat/Sun at the AIS Pool. I am looking for options for thurs, fri and Monday. Off road MTB options only. Staying at west end of lake but can drive to other spots.

Ta

Bruce ridge is a lovely network of trails behind the Canberra Motor Village

there is also Majura Pines and Sparrow Hill...

1 person likes this

Bruce ridge is a lovely network of trails behind the Canberra Motor Village

Too funny. I am actually staying there. Just looked at a map. It looks like the van park is inside Bruce Ridge.

ha good stuff....stayed there a few times....go do other rides elsewhere during the day...then of a evening after dinner...go spin through the trails of bruce ridge at sunset....they have improved it a great deal in recent times...but its great to roll out the gate of the van park and be straight on the trails...

You will still be able to ride Stromlo where the racing is not on. The are plenty of tracks other than the XCO course tracks that will be suitable. You should also take the kids to Majura. which is a 10 min ride from where you are staying.

If you want a longer ride drive out to Sparrow and East Kowen.

You will still be able to ride Stromlo where the racing is not on. The are plenty of tracks other than the XCO course tracks that will be suitable. You should also take the kids to Majura. which is a 10 min ride from where you are staying.

If you want a longer ride drive out to Sparrow and East Kowen.

Great. Thanks.

So if the mtb nats were on at Mt Taylor on the weekend (going by instagram photos) what exactly is the Stromlo version in two weeks?

heading to stromlo this weekend with some friends... can't wait - love that place

It is part of the National series.

http://www.mtba.asn.au/event/national-series/

The national champs are held in Bright and strangely enough do not count towards series points. The points accumulated in the series do give you a better start position for the National champs. And this means everything in XCO racing. If you start at the back of an XCO race the leaders are gone before you get out of the first bit of single track. So you do the series because it is alot of fun and it gets you a good grid spot.

The Stromlo XCO course used normally is the World Cup course which is easily the most technical in Oz and one of the most technical on the world cup circuit when it was used for the World Champs.

So if the mtb nats were on at Mt Taylor on the weekend (going by instagram photos) what exactly is the Stromlo version in two weeks?

stromlo is awesome. I tried out the Majura Pines MTB park last weekend after stromlo as well. Was fun but nowhere in the same league as stromlo IMO.

Unfortunately one of our group fell at stromlo and broke her arm on day 1 of the weekend so riding was cut short as we got her to hospital but still - stromlo is definitely still my favourite MTB place so far

If you think stromlo is good you should check out the tracks at Jindabyne, Bungarra, Crackenback, Thredbo, Sparrow Hill, Kowen, Tuggeranong pines etc etc etc.

Edited by thekeeper

What a weekend with the young bloke. 7 rides Thurs-Mon at Stromlo and Bruce Ridge (plus snuck a little tri in on Sunday). Got a guided tour from the resident mtb expert to finish the trip.

First mtb trip of many with the young fella. He is hooked.

1 person likes this

10, we have spent the last 12-18 mths building up on local trails.

Edited by Diamonds

Nice, my young bloke is 9 and getting right into it, which is great fun.

What bike is the young fella riding?

He was on a 24" until about 9 mths ago. Picked up a small ladies 26" Merida which has a lower step over height which has been a massive plus. With the bigger wheels there is not much he can't get over. Just had to use black duct tape over some girly livery but he loves it now.

You could also ride some or all of the centenary trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also ride some or all of the centenary trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have heard good things.

So back again.

Rode Sparrow Hill short loop (plus some add-ons) with the young tacker today. There is something great about breathing that pine forest air.

Enjoyable riding but I personally prefer the variety of Stromlo a little more. I think I prefer more elevation change both up and down in an off road ride.

Stromlo in the morning. Either Majura or a whip around Bruce Ridge in the arvo. They are certainly spoilt for choice down here.

Does anyone know if there is decent riding at Red Hill for a mtb?