Prince

MOVIE REVIEWS

276 posts in this topic

The reviews I've read are calling it the movie of 2015 and one of the best action flicks of all time. And they don't seem to care if there's a plot or not!

I actually preferred the Avengers. Better plot if you can beleive that.

I actually preferred the Avengers. Better plot if you can beleive that.

Even being a Marvel fanboy, I cant agree with that. Fury Road's plot was simple but also extremely well executed. Avengers was a mess, all over the place and questionable. It's obvious a fair bit was left in the editing booth.

The other difference is I literally forgot most of Avengers Age of Ultron about 5 minutes after leaving the theatre. Fury Road? Nope. It really stuck.

I dont know if i like all those big budget formula movies. Some are good for a bit of escapism, but so much crap out there. San Andreas for example. Wont be hurrying to see that.

Even being a Marvel fanboy, I cant agree with that. Fury Road's plot was simple but also extremely well executed. Avengers was a mess, all over the place and questionable. It's obvious a fair bit was left in the editing booth.

The other difference is I literally forgot most of Avengers Age of Ultron about 5 minutes after leaving the theatre. Fury Road? Nope. It really stuck.

I'd have to agree, I've forgotten most of Avengers, but while it was on, it was entertaining, in that I could just sit back and let it entertain me. Maybe that's what I felt like that night.

Fury Road, while good, didn't do it quite as well for me. Possibly I'm just looking for that short term, easy to get, thrill these days? :)

Saw Fury Road last night - Visually spectacular in parts, Action was awesome and Charlize' acting was great but....

Script was complete crap - It was a slilly movie that tried to take itself too seriously - making it even sillier. Apart from the above mentioned heroine the acting was also pretty terrible - Max's character development was pretty vague at best

If you loved the first Max flic and but thought they lost the plot on the later ones then this one continues on that path.

In Summary - "Baz Luhrmann does Bathurst" or "Priscilla with Pistons" - if either of these captions appeal then this is the movie for you... :)

does it fit with the other mad max movies, i.e have a connection? pity Mel wouldn't do it, thought he would be screaming for a job.

Do you know Mel is one of the richest in Hollywood, even after giving half (400mil) to his first wife. He's apparently back up to 600mil and one of the richest actors, if not no. 1.

If it wasn't for the iinet and netflix I might be watching that......... Wanted to a few nights ago. Still waiting.....

If it wasn't for the iinet and netflix I might be watching that......... Wanted to a few nights ago. Still waiting.....

when netflix went live I had lots of issues with iinet .

I cantacted them and ran a heap of tests and they then confirmed to me (what the probably already knew without my involvement) that their back-haul in my area was 'approaching capacity'.

They could even give me a date when it woudl be fixed and a couple of weeks later went back to super fast speeds (im on NBN fibre).

I think they got hammered with traffic when Netflix went live.....

Oh that's for sure. Let's just say that while speed tests show us getting 16+mb, the reality is I'm getting somewhere between 1 and 20kb/s. We're on adsl 1+.

Our area got removed from the nbn roll-out schedule, and while a large circle around us can get nbn wireless, we can't get that either.

Have to get on to them and see what they say.

We were supposed to go see San Andreas on Sat night. I bought the tickets on-line, then when we turned up, bypassed the long queue out the door, picked up the tickets, and went in to the theatre, we found others in our seat. They also had tickets for the same seats. I went back to the counter, and it turned out my tickets were for Monday, even though I later got home & saw that I had in fact ordered for Saturday.

Well, to cut to the chase, we decided to see Spy instead, as there were no good seats left to San Andreas. I was actually pleased, as it was my son wanted to see the other one, and in the end he was happy enough to see either.

Spy would have to be the funniest movie I've seen in years. It was a bit corny in parts, but brilliant writing & gags. We were in tears by the end, as was most of the audience. 4.5 stars from me.

Went to the new flicks at Miranda Saturday night. Wife and Daughter 1 saw Pitch Perfect. Daughter 2 is a Disney freak and has been following Tomorrowland hype on Insta etc. It was a very thought-provoking, often scary look at global issues. It was great to see it with my 13 year old daughter. The kids in major roles are fantastic, as was Clooney. I gave it 5 stars.

The cynical will probably call it a lefty, treehugger propaganda piece as a promo for Disney's next major theme park attraction, but I have a glass-half-full mindset.

Sounds good Parkside, I have read some positive reviews online also. I think I will take my younger two to see Tomorrowland, thought provoking is the best kind of provoking imo...

1 person likes this

its only me but i dont find the actors like melissa mcarthy and rebel particularly funny. They play on the fact they are fat. I reckon if they werent fat, they wouldnt be very successful.

Not only you, I find rebel Wilson as funny as galloping diarrhea.

Mind you Chris Farley made a career out of the same thing.

Edited by Parkside

Not only you, I find rebel Wilson as funny as galloping diarrhea.

Mind you Chris Farley made a career out of the same thing.

yes, good point. maybe i am sexist, as i did find john belushi funny but i reckon he didnt play on the fat gags and i dont think Chris Farley always did. As for Chrissie Swan....well dont get me started...

Saw Maze Runner. For a movie based on a book for young teen boys I thought it was actually really good. I see pre production has already started for the sequel which I will definitely watching.

The movie I am looking forward to the most in a very long time, Entourage is out in a few days. Can't wait.

Selma was good.

I agree, and was staggered it was snubbed for any sort of Oscar mention, even art direction or anything like that.

I agree, and was staggered it was snubbed for any sort of Oscar mention, even art direction or anything like that.

I can see why it might have been, however the events (based on fact) portrayed were so gripping it probably didn't matter - a great experience.

Selma was good.

Going to watch this on flight home Thursday night. Glad it's a good one

Going to watch this on flight home Thursday night. Glad it's a good one'

I think it got dropped on the June Emirates new movie list as did Ex Machina - but Chappie, Focus (margot robbie :wub:) Seventh Son, Marigold Hotel and Spongebob have taken its place. If I watch every new movie on the way back to OZ I will still have 10 hours spare... :(

Carried over on the new movie list from last month is Black Hat - which is OK (ish) or get a dose of American teen angst in Project Almanac....

Edited by Pete