Prince

MOVIE REVIEWS

297 posts in this topic

my reviews of some of the current movies:

la la land: i didn't get it, why its winning awards i dont know. its one of those movies you would either like it or hate it. i hated it. **

Hidden Figures: great movie. Even Kevin Costner showed he can act again. ****

Arrival: a good subtle invasion movie. ***

Why Him: bloody funny. Bryan Cranston may just be the next chevy chase? ***

Fences: Good acting as usual by denzel, but it just seemed like a play being filmed. **

i take back what i said about La La Land. maybe because i only saw the first half. i actually liked it. it will romp in as best picture, best song, best cinematography and best actor and possibly best actress.

You judged a movie only on the first half!! You can't do that............

If you did that to Suicide Squad, for instance, you might almost recommend it to someone not realising that the back half of the movie sinks it firmly into the toilet!!!

And the Razzie noms are out.

I'm pretty disappointed that Suicide Squad wasn't in there more! I thought it was much worse than SvB.

Saw the final final Bladerunner. Seen 4 different versions over the years. I never realised he was a replicant till this last one. The Unicorn dream gives it away.

Took my 15 yold. She gave it two thumbs up.

Go see La La Land, the moving story of the life of a black man growing up in Miami, of kindness, the support of his community, and his love of dance!

2 people like this

Go see La La Land, the moving story of the life of a black man growing up in Miami, of kindness, the support of his community, and his love of dance!

Did you just out yourself?

I'm caucasian.....

nsfw Deadpool 2 trailer that was showing before Logan...

2 people like this

Hidden Figures. 5 stars.

Great film but lately I have been wondering about the effect of such (True Story) films. if you look at the facts it is slightly off in some things. Don't get me wrong it was pretty close and captured the essence of the story very well, but it makes you wonder if the True Story tag might cause people to think it is somehow a documentary or an autobiographical piece? A bit of investigation shows there was never a court case for the engineer (she simply applied), the IBM came well before the first mercury, the girls didn't travel together and the supervisor was always a supervisor - well before the mercury also. Toilet was true, but not for the girl working on the trajectory numbers (she used any toilet she wanted to with no issue) and no one ever took to the toiled signs with a sledgehammer. I am happy to know that John Glenn did have her check the numbers, but she had a couple of days to do it :)

I thought this particularly of Sully - once again a great film - and the fallout about its poetic licence on the supposedly adversarial NTSB investigators and even the film ARGO - did they really board the plane with seconds to spare with a truck load of angry Iranians swerving all over the runway? And what of the real heros (the Canadians) whose role was downplayed in the movie (and p1ssed them off heaps)

What is the difference then between a "True Story", "Based on a True Story" or "Inspired by.."

Or did I simply drink too much coffee this morning?

Edited by Pete
1 person likes this

I think you need more!

Nice post pete.

I'm finding more and more i google stuff while watching.

Give timeless a tv show a look.

They always travel back and the facts what happened are really close.

Nsfw I guess.... CT in Atomic Blond

Saw "LIfe" the other day.  Note a bad flick, and I like the irony of the ending but I thought the alien had more in common with an affable rubber Gumby toy than anything Sigourney Weaver had to face up to...  

Logan is an interesting flick - lots of slashing - lots and lots of slashing - and claws and stabbing - and more slashing. I give it 5 stars! LOL

I did a DVD release on "The Accountant" the other day - kind of "Rain man" meets "Rambo" with a few twists and turns to keep you on your toes. I really liked it but I think it might not be everyones cup of tea... :)

Watched Puncture on the weekend, 2011 release with Chris Evans in the lead.  Not a particularly high profile one, but I found it very good.  Based on true story of couple of small time lawyers taking an antitrust case against big pharma over stopping safety needles getting into the health system in the 90s.  

7 hours ago, Pete said:

I did a DVD release on "The Accountant" the other day - kind of "Rain man" meets "Rambo" with a few twists and turns to keep you on your toes. I really liked it but I think it might not be everyones cup of tea... :)

I really liked it too. Worth a look

My son just mentioned he wants me to take him to "Six Billion Dollar Man" when it comes out.

Whilst I normally like mark Wahlberg's movies, I don't think I could stand it.

All I can think of now is Dr Evil going "1 million dollars"

Guess 6 million wouldn't get you far these days.

26 minutes ago, goughy said:

All I can think of now is Dr Evil going "1 million dollars"

Guess 6 million wouldn't get you far these days.

It might get us a new knee each. :)

1 person likes this

Just got back from The Lego Batman Movie. I loved The Lego Movie.

Considering the absolute assault on the senses this movie was, I'm pretty impressed I fell asleep. Abso****inglutely awful movie. Kyan enjoyed it. I'm really not looking forward to The Lego Ninjago Movie!

Lego Batman - Agree with goughy - Not worth spending money on (Kids may love it, but way too many flaws, pacing was off etc)

Ghost in the Shell - I really wanted to like this. And I nearly did. There was just something... missing. (Rough outline - The existential questions asked of a cyborg - who are you really?)

Power Rangers - reboot of the 90's tv show/s. Results - first half was good, story worked, pacing was good, then it went to shite.

Life - Good movie - a few 'issues'  (You are on space station, you had years to prepare, and yet you didn't setup the lab to be able to be ejected and nuked? really? - and they still could have continued the movie as it was had they had fixed this...) 

War Machine (2017), Brad Pitt (stars and directs). 

The truth is a bitch.

If you've ever thought why don't just get the fark out of the Middle East and leave them to tear each other apart, this movie will do nothing to dissuade you.

Of course, the irony is the Brits and French (mostly) built the walls in the sandpit post WW1/WW2, and now along with the rest of the West, we are all stuck there.

Ya can't help but wonder (Suez Canal & oil aside) if we'd just left em alone to sort out their own territorial pissings, they'd have no interest in blowing up kids in Manchester....though no doubt they'd still blow up a shitload of their own.

What a cluster****.

2 people like this