Oompa Loompa

TA Integrity and drug testing age groupers

341 posts in this topic

Look, support the entire concept of drug testing age groupers, to many remarkable performances not too.

But should we as a sport be naming where the testing is going to occur ? Does it taint athletes that pull out of these races now that they know drug testing is going to occur. Heard some great stories from the old days of people disappearing in more than one sport, not just Tri, knowing this.

I'm a firm believer in the secret squirrel stuff - hello, come here, piss in a jar, get this needle intaya ....

Thoughts peeps ?

Ps - very good policy other than the pre warn in naming races in my opinion.

-----------------

email from TA 11 March 2015

With the recent spate of news reports about integrity failures in other sports, it is important that we renew our commitment to protecting the integrity of triathlon in Australia. This is a two way partnership between Triathlon Australia as the governing body of the sport, and you as a member of the triathlon community in Australia. We have the responsibility to create a framework consisting of policies and documents which outline the expectations on our members, participants and stakeholders. And you as triathlon community members have a responsibility to make decisions and behave in a way which reflects well on our sport.

In July 2013, Triathlon Australia developed an Integrity Framework which covers four areas of integrity:

Doping

Race-Fixing

Illicit substances

Member Protection (against harassment, bullying, intimidation)

You can access the Integrity Framework and its supporting documents on our website click here >>

To help ensure that doping is not occurring in triathlon, we will be commencing anti-doping testing on age group athletes at several events this year. As a start, we will be collecting blood and urine samples at the Mooloolaba Triathlon this weekend, and at the IRONMAN Asia Pacific Championships in Melbourne next weekend.

All competitors in sanctioned triathlon events are subject to the Triathlon Australia Anti-Doping Policy and are therefore eligible to be selected for a blood or urine test. Your obligation as a competitor is simple do not take banned performance enhancing substances. If you are unsure about the status of a substance or medication, it is important that you check it. The easiest way of doing this is through the ASADA Check your Substance service which can be accessed from the ASADA website or by calling 1300 027 232.

If you are taking medication for a legitimate medical condition, it is possible to request a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). Details of this process are available on the ASADA website. If you would like to know more about how the testing process works or other aspects of anti-doping in Australia, the ASADA on-line education program is excellent. You can access it from the ASADA website too.

If you become aware of any behaviour or attitudes which you believe compromise the integrity of our sport, we strongly encourage you to provide information on these matters. You can do this confidentially and anonymously. We have contracted an independent organisation called Stopline to provide a confidential information provision (whistleblowing) service to triathlon. Even if you are unsure about your concerns, or you are confused about someones behaviour, you can call Stopline to discuss what you have seen or heard. Information about any type of integrity issue can be provided and / or discussed with Stopline by calling 1300 30 45 50 or by sending an email to triathlonaustralia@stopline.com.au. If your concerns are specifically about doping, it is best to call the ASADA Stamp Out Doping Hotline on 13 000 27232.

Lets work together to keep triathlon the fair, respectful sport that we all want it to be.

Anne Gripper

Chief Executive Officer

Triathlon Australia

Edited by Oompa Loompa
1 person likes this

Would also love to see the drug warning on member cards like cycling use too/ maybe still do if TA isn't already doing that.

I might go to the ASADA site and see if a casual toke is banned, its for pain management! ;)

Edited by MissJess

Id personally love to see nurophen type drugs banned, just hate the concept of people masking pain to get a triathlon done.

They should state that they will be testing age groupers at races throughout the season - (not name the races)

- but in general it's a good move to try and discourage cheating - still amaizes me that an age grouper would cheat but i'm sure there is the odd dickhead out there

1 person likes this

Good news.

Yeah agree they probably shouldn't say what events.

Be interesting if a few usual suspects are suddenly DNS

Fortunately awesomeness isn't a banned substance, so I don't need to worry about my elevated levels

3 people like this

I think of it like signs saying speed cameras are used in the area. Or red light camera ahead. If you're stupid enough to still do the wrong thing at that location, you're screwed. If you slow down, stop at the red, or don't race drugged up, then outcome achieved? Those races will be cleaner for it. No, they won't be caught, but they will be deterred from participating so the endgame is still good - cleaner podiums.

1 person likes this

Good, some people should be very worried. But agree they shouldn't be naming where.

So they have 4 integrity issues but are only addressing one?

What are they doing about the others?

So they have 4 integrity issues but are only addressing one?

What are they doing about the others?

Must admit, the race fixing one is interesting. To put it up in lights like that. I wasn't aware it was a problem but clearly they must have a lot of intel to list it so prominently and positively say they are targeting it. I dunno what goes on at the pointy end of the sport in this country but the need to address this is a sad indictment of our sport and the individuals that do this. I'm not sure why you would fix a tri in this country but clearly people do it.

Hope they catch a few people. Some publicity might shake some sense into others.

Maybe naming the races this year is ok. Then add some random ones. But don't cover it up. If you are caught - front page story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think naming events is a bad thing. Get it out there as visible as possible that it's happening.

Doesn't say they'll pre-name all events so hopefully it becomes more prevalent.

Imo the goal is not to catch people cheating, it's to get those cheating scum to not compete at all. There's some satisfaction in someone being caught but much more seeing them not toe the line to start with.

Great stuff ... And With the late notice, I hope there are some middle age heroes squirming in their little Tri shorts leading up to Melbourne

1 person likes this

do we really think its a problem, odd exception like moats and who really cares if they are

do we really think its a problem, odd exception like moats and who really cares if they are

Yes it's a problem. As with any sport these days, if you tolerate cheating then what's the point of calling it a race.

And I care. To me, finishing position is irrelevant providing you earn the spot. There's no place for cheats in society or sport but we've become apathetic over the years.

1 person likes this

Yes it's a problem. As with any sport these days, if you tolerate cheating then what's the point of calling it a race.

And I care. To me, finishing position is irrelevant providing you earn the spot. There's no place for cheats in society or sport but we've become apathetic over the years.

o if I get on the gear, which is very easy to do and get an instant 10 % improvement and went from an IM at 11 and change to ten and change and you never knew I was on it, how would it have impacted you

o if I get on the gear, which is very easy to do and get an instant 10 % improvement and went from an IM at 11 and change to ten and change and you never knew I was on it, how would it have impacted you

Because I went from X to Y position due to cheating and my result has been impacted.

Could care less whether it's world title, kona spot or club meet, those without integrity should be driven from the sport.

Am I missing something or are you saying cheating doesn't matter unless it's podium related?

1 person likes this

Because I went from X to Y position due to cheating and my result has been impacted.

Could care less whether it's world title, kona spot or club meet, those without integrity should be driven from the sport.

Am I missing something or are you saying cheating doesn't matter unless it's podium related?

yes and even then it's still amateur sports, if some mid 30's 40's person gets on it and gets all the kona spots I don't care

Edited by BarryBevan

Very hard to conceal......

Not with your average triathlete on a $10k bike.

Lol

Edited by Oompa Loompa

yes and even then it's still amateur sports, if some mid 30's 40's person gets on it and gets all the kona spots I don't care

I do. I'm just outside the numbers to qualify, I would need a decent roll down at this point in time. But if two or 3 guys ahead of me are on it then yes that affects my chances of achieving my goal.

The fact you don't care doesn't mean it isn't an issue.

4 people like this

I care. I'd pay way more to enter / be a member if we all got tested at least once a year (random).

First time I faced against a guy on the gear was 1989. Pretty much lost me as a friend once I knew.

Hate it.

4 people like this