nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health   296 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,786 posts in this topic

So, just like Sunnygirl said...when things go pear shaped...the lapse, for those suffering anxiety/depression, might be harder to take.

I had a 3 year injury that resulted in limited cycling and no running for 2 years :lol:

I felt pretty frumpy and grumpy at times but managed to keep a smile most of the time. I can empathise with people with depression and anxiety. It can be soooo hard to think positively when your brain is telling you that NOTHING is going right :lol:

Try to stay as healthy as possible and train your mind (cos we can train our bodies, so why can't we train our minds?) to focus on the positives - however little they may seem.

(I better not type anymore, just had a biiiig glass of wine :D )

I too suffer from a anxiety and depression :lol: it has a long history within my family so I was predisposed to the disorder yet I have managed to "distract" myself from the major effects of it by being fit and healthy and active.

this helps but is not the cure-all as has been mentioned ;)

post Busso 07 I had a mental crash when all the training and all the distractions stopped, I barely made it to Geelong my desire and motivation was so low. I aggravated an old injury on the trip over and didnt race, and that was a relief :blush:

fast forward 12 months and it happened again :D this time only much, much worse. Close friends and family only know how much worse. i have sought and continue to seek medical support, and will need to continue to do so for some time. everything has suffered, my physical health :D (great way to lose a few kilos, wouldnt recommend it tho) my friendships have been tested beyond breaking points, my employment has suffered, my mental state is fragile, so many simple, mundane, everday tasks seem so difficult. Training is barely a consideration :lol: the bike sits in the garage...............

I have become paranoid, untrusting, lack confidence, motivation and desire, doubt myself, my life has become a mess :D

Many people, I am glad to say are helping, and trying to help, but it is not that simple. It takes time, much time to firstly identify and then admit/ask for help. It is not that simple ;)

its not that simple.

Long term I am so undecided about so much :lol: short term I have set a few goals to kick start some healing, I plan on running a marathon in August, I want to race Busso again (so many happy memories there) and I have begun a career change :blush: all distraction practices but activities to challenge myself once again.

I need to rebuild .........................

Good luck man, i know how you feel.... :blink:

[

I was going to ask that question. I wonder how much is related to control? Triathlon is something that you can feel control over and the amount of time spent training becomes somewhat regimented in routine and is also another way to "escape" the rest of life. So, just like Sunnygirl said...when things go pear shaped...the lapse, for those suffering anxiety/depression, might be harder to take.

i take any negative or positive chat/comment/situation to heart...really badly......you should listen to my head when I am pushing myself in training.

to whomever started this thread...thanks. I really needed this :lol:

[

I was going to ask that question. I wonder how much is related to control? Triathlon is something that you can feel control over and the amount of time spent training becomes somewhat regimented in routine and is also another way to "escape" the rest of life. So, just like Sunnygirl said...when things go pear shaped...the lapse, for those suffering anxiety/depression, might be harder to take.

i take any negative or positive chat/comment/situation to heart...really badly......you should listen to my head when I am pushing myself in training.

to whomever started this thread...thanks. I really needed this :lol:

People who have perfectionist traits, ie control , are prone to anxiety and depression because the perfectionism gives them safety.

As far as negative evaluation by others is concerned, it is about challenging these thoughts and recognising that someones opinion cant hurt you, and ultimately your thoughts of the situation are more damaging than the evaluation.

Try analysing the sitution and come up with a handful of different ways you that could think about it.

Shakespeare - there is no good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

Read this book - Change your thinking by Sarah Edelman.

Finally, it you get IBT syndrome you go to physio

it you come of your bike and break a bone you go to hospital

if you get physically sick and dont know why you go to the doctor.

Mental illness is absolutely no different and people should put there Hand up and say i need help.

edit. yes I have been there and got through it.

For the past four or five years my version of IronMan has been dragging myself out of bed just to face up to another day. Add serious sleep deprivation as a result of being stay at home parent, chuck in a bit of isolation due to same. Do all your training on your own as you don’t have the patience left to deal with other people, have a few crashes and burnouts, and right there, you got yourself a recipe for a happy life.

Uber and other posters, I have a idea of what its like, the best thing for me is understanding what your dealing with and dealing with it.

1 person likes this

Finally, it you get IBT syndrome you go to physio

it you come of your bike and break a bone you go to hospital

if you get physically sick and dont know why you go to the doctor.

Mental illness is absolutely no different and people should put there Hand up and say i need help.

This is exactly what I try to impress on people.

Life is funny in how things get played out. Growing up and during my 20's I no sympathy, understanding nor tolerance for anyone who had a mental illness of any kind. What could a higher power, karma, chance or what ever do to me? Give me a mental illness? Nope but without going into further detail I know have a greater understanding of mental illness and the many many facets it takes.

I wish all of you who have responded (or not responded) to this thread the very best for your issues. I hope those who don't have any mental problems don't write them off and if unable to understand, at least show some tolerance for what they are going through.

For those of you who are afraid to come out of the closet so to speak, just know that people are far more forgiving and helpful if they get given the chance to help or understand. The world is a lot better than it's made out to be.

Happy day's.

My brother has a mental illness, & up until last Dec I suffered a mild case of depression & decided to go & get some blood tests as I was feeling flat, lethargic & depressed.

Turned out that I had low thyroid (runs in the family) which makes you feel depressed, flat, lethargic & have low metabolism. I was also very grumpy & short tempered at home & my family were the one's suffering from this.

So basically, I have to take meds for the rest of my life to raise my thyroid level & I believe I have never felt better at home or whilst training. Although sometimes I am too relaxed now at home, but my energy levels are up & I am feeling as good as ever. So if in any doubt go see your GP & get a blood test on your sodium & iron levels.

All the best everyone.

Clarkey, sure he's just not suffering Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from having to go to school with me. :lol:

Give him my regards.

mmm been trying to avoid this post for the last week. Only problem is I find myself thinking about it in my sleep, driving to work & several other times during the day :lol:

Just been to see Ben Lee & Adelaide Symphony Orchestra play (great gig for a quirky little guy) & had a few beers so I guess I'm ready to post.

First thing is Depression & Mental health issues suck!!!!!

I also think everyone suffers from depression in one form or another some time in their lives. I think the only difference is how we deal with it. I have never been on medication for depression but looking back over the years maybe I should have. I don't know why but for some reason I'm sort of glad I never had to (I'm scared if I started taking anti-depressants I would be on them forever) not that I blame anyone for taking them I support the use of antidepressants with counselling. In the past I have used alcohol to mask the pain which isn't a good idea.

My wife suffered from extreme depression during pregnancy & after the birth of our beautiful girl. I was so ignorant about depression I made the situation worse. comments like "deal with it", "take a chill pill" "your legs not broken why ya crying" etc which I learnt later are the worse things you can say to a person with depression.

When my wife was pregnant I woke up to find my her trying to cut our baby out of her stomach then other times finding her trying to slash her wrist because she didn’t want to live. The worst day for us was when she thought about driving into a tree at 100km hr with our daughter in the car.

As bad as things can get & believe me things can always get worse (never challenge the universe – it will always win) & someone always has things worse then you. Things can always get better.

Beyondblue is an awesome website & helped me out heaps. I think a support person is one of the key weapons in beating this terrible disease. Support for the “support person” is also very important. I found it hard trying to be super strong all the time for my wife but with counselling it helped give me ideas & things to do to create a strong & supportive environment for my wife.

My wife has been off the anti-depressants for 15 months now after being on them for 4 years (I’m so proud of the progress she has made) but I’m still aware that I need to be supportive & look for the signs of depression coming back.

My wife has a history of depression in the family & Both my brothers suffer from depression & have been on medication for several years – I guess i’m lucky, it’s funny sometimes I feel guilty for being the “normal” one in the family , then again whats normal

I’m shit scared my daughter will one day become a victim of this terrible condition. Hopefully with love, understanding & awareness she won’t have to suffer from depression.

I’m no expert but Fezza / Uber if you ever need to chat you have my number any time of the day give us a call.

mmm been trying to avoid this post for the last week. Only problem is I find myself thinking about it in my sleep, driving to work & several other times during the day :lol:

Just been to see Ben Lee & Adelaide Symphony Orchestra play (great gig for a quirky little guy) & had a few beers so I guess I'm ready to post.

I also think everyone suffers from depression in one form or another some time in their lives. I think the only difference is how we deal with it. I have never been on medication for depression but looking back over the years maybe I should have. I don't know why but for some reason I'm sort of glad I never had to (I'm scared if I started taking anti-depressants I would be on them forever) not that I blame anyone for taking them I support the use of antidepressants with counselling. In the past I have used alcohol to mask the pain which isn't a good idea.

My wife suffered from extreme depression during pregnancy & after the birth of our beautiful girl. I was so ignorant about depression I made the situation worse. comments like "deal with it", "take a chill pill" "your legs not broken why ya crying" etc which I learnt later are the worse things you can say to a person with depression.

When my wife was pregnant I woke up to find my her trying to cut our baby out of her stomach then other times finding her trying to slash her wrist because she didn’t want to live. The worst day for us was when she thought about driving into a tree at 100km hr with our daughter in the car.

As bad as things can get & believe me things can always get worse (never challenge the universe – it will always win) & someone always has things worse then you. Things can always get better.

Beyondblue is an awesome website & helped me out heaps. I think a support person is one of the key weapons in beating this terrible disease. Support for the “support person” is also very important. I found it hard trying to be super strong all the time for my wife but with counselling it helped give me ideas & things to do to create a strong & supportive environment for my wife.

My wife has been off the anti-depressants for 15 months now after being on them for 4 years (I’m so proud of the progress she has made) but I’m still aware that I need to be supportive & look for the signs of depression coming back.

My wife has a history of depression in the family & Both my brothers suffer from depression & have been on medication for several years – I guess i’m lucky, it’s funny sometimes I feel guilty for being the “normal” one in the family , then again whats normal

I’m shit scared my daughter will one day become a victim of this terrible condition. Hopefully with love, understanding & awareness she won’t have to suffer from depression.

I’m no expert but Fezza / Uber if you ever need to chat you have my number any time of the day give us a call.

Geez mate, that must have been tought to write. I hope your wife continues to do well.

I think this has been a very confronting thread for most of us in one way or another.

I sometimes wonder if the 'modern world' contributes to depression - ie instant communication, information overload, always being 'on call' at work via email/mobiles even when you are not there, the expectation (real or perceived) that you need to respond to 'stuff' instantly.

I just seem to remember life being a lot slower and simpler for my parents when i was a kid in the 60's & 70's :lol:

There was a much stronger demarcation between work and home - even though my Dad was a small town GP and on call most of the time - it still seemed like you could escape the world and chill out more at home, the pace was slower :lol:

I also wonder if the recent 'keeping up with the Jonses' syndrome puts more pressure on people - there are lots of people out there who would have been regarded as quite successful 20 yrs ago (ie they had a job, car & house) who now see themselves as failures because they don't have the biggest house, the flashest car, a yacht and their neighbour earns more :D

I sometimes wonder if the 'modern world' contributes to depression - ie instant communication, information overload, always being 'on call' at work via email/mobiles even when you are not there, the expectation (real or perceived) that you need to respond to 'stuff' instantly.

I just seem to remember life being a lot slower and simpler for my parents when i was a kid in the 60's & 70's :lol:

There was a much stronger demarcation between work and home - even though my Dad was a small town GP and on call most of the time - it still seemed like you could escape the world and chill out more at home, the pace was slower :lol:

I also wonder if the recent 'keeping up with the Jonses' syndrome puts more pressure on people - there are lots of people out there who would have been regarded as quite successful 20 yrs ago (ie they had a job, car & house) who now see themselves as failures because they don't have the biggest house, the flashest car, a yacht and their neighbour earns more :D

Maybe, in my humble and completely unsupported by research opinion I think its a factor but not a cause. In the 60's and 70's life had less beeps and whistles but mental health issues were largely unaddressed and something to be ashamed of. I am a 1979 vintage and my mother suffered with postnatal depression - something that didn't have a label or treatment for at the time.

So do we have an increase in incidence or an increase in diagnosis? I kinda think its the later. More people, myself included are seeking help.

I was recently diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and up until then I didn't really believe it was a real condition, but at the same time didn't really understand why I couldn't just HTFU in certain situations.

I've been lucky enough not to be affected by depression, and not to have it run in the family, so I apologise if this link is a bit out of place, however, since men particularly tend to medicate w/ alcohol, it may be relevant.

It's a blog post I came across this morning, written by a son, in memory of a father who died from alcoholism and possibly depression. It's very moving and possibly a timely reminder that alcohol won't solve anything.

Dear Dad

Moody: Definitely

Whether its because of Mental Illness or Depression: Don't Know

Do I particularly care: Nope.

But I have noticed it seems to bother other people more than it bothers me. Its like they don't know how to handle it so they resort to put-downs and jokes. And then on the odd occasions that I do react, its because I'm in a "shit mood" (which has been loudly announced around the office by my now team leader)

But the way I see it, Mental illness/Depression is relative and based some statistical bell curve which states that the majority must be "normal". Who's to say that I'm not normal and everybody else has the illness.

But the way I see it, Mental illness/Depression is relative and based some statistical bell curve which states that the majority must be "normal". Who's to say that I'm not normal and everybody else has the illness.

Hey AJ - there's a bit of a difference between Clinical Depression and moodiness. I am no expert but I have some experience with clinical depression and

1. The reason why anti-depressants work so well is because there is a chemical imbalance there that can be controlled with drugs

2. Which is why exercise is also a really effective way to control depression in milder cases (negating the need for drugs)

3. Depression isn't something that can be cured (ie you have it forever) it is something that is controlled ... by the person who has it and by the people around them (such as Bored@Work). These support people have a HUGE role to play and their role is often very difficult.

We definitely all have the capacity to fall into a depressed state, but usually are able to pull ourselves out of that state and as a general rule, we exist outside that state for the most part. For clinically depressed people it is a constant battle to maintain equilibrium.

I am the same as you - I can fall into a big funk on occasion - and the reactions of people around me can be quite annoying. Clearly you need to work with people that know to just leave you be when you're "moody" rather than commenting loudly about it! There's nothing worse when ANYONE is in a bad mood or feeling low than having someone tell them all about it!!

. Which is why exercise is also a really effective way to control depression in milder cases (negating the need for drugs)

3. Depression isn't something that can be cured (ie you have it forever) it is something that is controlled ... by the person who has it and by the people around them (such as Bored@Work). These support people have a HUGE role to play and their role is often very difficult.

Exactly for my wife it seems to be pregnancy & the change / rush of different chemicals in the body - I would love another child but I don't think I'm strong enough to go go through it again :lol:

I still visit the beyondblue website & continue to monitor & support my wife as much as I can & will have to for many years to come.

I think awarness & understanding are two of the keys to beating / managing depression.

B@W

I think many of you are incredibly brave to write your experiences on here.

I have another question. I know a few people (both family and friends) with depression/anxiety, and what I'd like to know is how do you know if someone's behaviour is related to their depression or if they're just in a *normal* bad mood or just having a *normal* shitty day? ie. how, as the other person/supporter/friend, do you know when to have empathy and when to ignore the situation as *normal*? At times I have felt that I've either needed to walk on eggshells or been tired of always playing the supporting role when sometimes you'd like support in return. I think I lost my best girlfriend from school to depression. It all became about her and what she could/couldn't handle at whatever given moment. It was tough being her friend. I'm sort of ashamed to say that after a while I just gave up.

Bored@work, dudes like you make life livable for so many....I know without my wife standing by me I would be lost. Thanks. :lol:

My father suffers from debilitating bi-polar disorder and ocd. Wasn't diagnosed till into his late 40's and now in his early 60's his body has almost given up. Many years ago manic depressives (what is now bi-polar) were known to die from exhaustion which was pretty much their hearts giving out from the highs and lows. There is some family history of manic depression going back decades!

I was diagnosed with significant inattentive ADHD a few years ago now. My wife initially picked up the signs and put 2 and 2 together, after, of all things, watching Dr Phil. I have the hyperactive symptoms, but not in a way that teachers etc would have picked up as a sign, hence I wasn't noticed. I constantly chew my nails (yuck), tap my feet, tap my hands etc etc. I talk constantly and especially as a child - very fast - leading to the nicknames motor mouth and turbo trap :lol:. Visits to a psychologist specialising in adhd and questions, questions, questionaires and old school reports/results helped in the formal diagnosis. Visits to a psychiatrist and we were trialing meds. I even spent a year or so on Ritalin, which is incredibly difficult to get a script for as an adult (they can hand it out to kids like lollies). That alone gave me some faith in my diagnosis. I only wanted to use them as a stop gap to get me back on track and then to learn to deal with it drug free. I haven't been on them for over a year now; my wife wishes I was.

I feel I have suffered from depression for a long long time. I'm figuring from at least grade 6 or 7 and definitely from high school. In year 12 a teacher noticed something and sent me to a councilor, but in the end nothing came of that. I have been on antidepressants twice, both times while at uni. I have finished all of a double major in communications and media production including all the core units but I am 5 option units short!! Not using it as an excuse but I have no doubt it played a part. By the time of my diagnosis it was too late to go back with the assistance and finish. I ran into my head a program once a year or two ago and he remembered me well. During our chat I explained about my diagnosis, and all he could do was punch me inthe shoulder and say 'well, no it all makes sense!' He couldn't work me out back then - great results, multiple units failed over and over.

Having swum squad all through school (I wasn't fast, I tended to sink) and squash till about 22, I hadn't done any physical exercise for over 14 years. I was overweight, but not as much as I should have been. I work on my feet all day so it kept a bit of that at bay. But I'd read that exercise was an effective way of treating adhd - the boosts to your system/psychy etc (can't remember the exact stuff about it; memory of a goldfish and all). So with some spurring from a mate (in a different town) I did the couch to 5k program and haven't looked back. Did the bridge to brisbane (63mins) then the Toowoomba half mara (2:21 and dead last - I was very proud, seriously) only a few months after starting. My wifes boss asked if I'd do the BRW on the Goldie with him so in November I joined his training squad. And I love it. The exhaustion perks me up to no end. When I do a run or something I feel great all day. If I sleep in on it, it's like a heavy fog over me all day reminding me what loser I was for not doing it.

Now I realised I've rambled on, probably uselessly, which I tend to do. Sorry; but I spent so long typing it I'm not deleting it.

The depression (which often goes hand in hand with adhd) weighs very heavily on me at times. There are times you don't have great thoughts. But I just think of my family (sappy I know) but while it doesn't take it away, it refocuses me.

Now I'm lost, where was I??

Oh yeah. In some ways I would happily take medication for the depression. My wife would love me too. There was one that worked quite well, heck, it even stopped my snoring (I was over weight after all). But I've spent so long like this now that this is just me. And the feeling after sport or exercise doesn't feel like medicating, it's glorious. I am a firm advocate of exercise for those suffering depression or adhd - it can seem like a wonder drug.

I'm tired, and my laptop is about to die and I have no idea anymore if I've answered the question - but I've rambled which I obviously needed to.

Tri your hearts out people!!

Shit, that was long! Sorry :lol:

Oh, and the worst thing of all is reading! I love reading, but it's mostly mags now so the stories are short. 2 of my fav books are the LOTR's, Leon Uris' Trinity, and Ken Follets 'the Pillars of the Earth'. All big books! Do ya have any idea what it's like to start reading a page, drift off then find your at the end of the page. Or to have 'read' 10 or so pages and suddenly realise you know nothing of what you read 'cause you were in a daydream. Then have to go back and focus to read them again. Can take a bloody long time to finish those books :lol:

how do you know if someone's behaviour is related to their depression or if they're just in a *normal* bad mood or just having a *normal* shitty day?

you dont have a shitty day, it turns into a shitty week/month :lol:

its not easy on either side of the fence :lol:

Exactly for my wife it seems to be pregnancy & the change / rush of different chemicals in the body - I would love another child but I don't think I'm strong enough to go go through it again :lol:

I still visit the beyondblue website & continue to monitor & support my wife as much as I can & will have to for many years to come.

I think awarness & understanding are two of the keys to beating / managing depression.

B@W

B@W- having another baby after what you and your wife has gone through is understandably a stressful thing to contemplate.

The good news is that your wife can be closely monitered from the beginning of the pregnancy by her doctors, psychologists and social workers- with medication and councilling sooner rather than later.

I have nursed many women who have a history of PND ranging in degree from severe to mild - who have all gone on to enjoy their subsequent pregnancies and babies with adequate treatment and follow up.

Sunny.

Shit, that was long! Sorry :D

Oh, and the worst thing of all is reading! I love reading, but it's mostly mags now so the stories are short. 2 of my fav books are the LOTR's, Leon Uris' Trinity, and Ken Follets 'the Pillars of the Earth'. All big books! Do ya have any idea what it's like to start reading a page, drift off then find your at the end of the page. Or to have 'read' 10 or so pages and suddenly realise you know nothing of what you read 'cause you were in a daydream. Then have to go back and focus to read them again. Can take a bloody long time to finish those books :lol:

That's not depressioin goughy...that's just us tired triathletes that can't keep awake!!! I do that all the time. I used to have to always read to an end of a chapter. Then it became, end of a page...heck, now I'll be half way through a sentence half way down a page and ....drift off...drift off....ahhhh :lol:

Thanks for sharing your story. What a champion.