nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health   295 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,727 posts in this topic

After reading Fezza's thread, people I know and other influences I was curious about peoples mental health.

You can answer anonymously in the poll without having to post an answer.

I know a couple of close friends who have confided in my wife and I about their issues but then we have other friends who suspect have problems but then again I don't think we are close enough that they feel the need to tell us.

If you do suffer from a mental illness, are you open about it? I suspect only those who are open about it would reply. :lol:

Apparently 1 in 5 Australians suffer from a mental illness, I wonder if there will be 20% of Trannies?

i don't quite fit into any of the poll answers, but have been pretty close to medication a couple of times. was in a bad relationship, hated my job, and was almost 15kg heavier than i am now

The best thing that helped me out of some pretty dark times, triathlon.

Cycling especially, i love training, even though some people on this forum will say i whinge about it a fair bit! being able to get out in the fresh air and expend energy has meant that i lost a bucket of weight, and am about to crack open my first can of half ironman.

don't have any mental problems at the moment (the girl will argue otherwise) but know what it feels like to be paralized by your own head.

I don't talk about it very much, and only to those that i trust. the anonymity of this forum kind of helps a bit.

I was talking to a friend who is a hospital psychologist - he said that for all cases of mild to mid-range depression, they would like to make 30 minutes of exercise a day a mandatory prescription. They think more and more that exercise is the most effective thing to combat mild depression.

I often think exercise/training really clears the head

1 person likes this

sub clinical maybe................................... :lol:

I was talking to a friend who is a hospital psychologist - he said that for all cases of mild to mid-range depression, they would like to make 30 minutes of exercise a day a mandatory prescription. They think more and more that exercise is the most effective thing to combat mild depression.

I self medicate at an average of 2-3hrs a day - what does that say (no don't tell us)?

Mental health... fezza.... all in the same thread - are you trying to tell me something?? :lol:

I have to live with myself 24/7 so why not make sure that that time is spent being happy and well adjusted.... :lol:

Wife suffers from anxiety disorder, is on medication for it now so is all good, but saw some pretty ordinary times when it first raised its head, unfortunately tarnishing a few big events (volunteering at olympics, her sisters wedding, our wedding, our honeymoon, a holiday or two)

Have noticed a few of the symptoms in myself in recent months, no where near to that extent, but enough to know its there and to effect me, in particular the last few weeks, which leads me to think the exercise thing possibly makes a big difference, as its only post-Geelong where my motivation has crashed and burned that ive really noticed it, but at the same time the "anxious" feeling makes me even less inclined to train <- vicious circle.

I suffer from recurrent depression. (phew - deep breath, I am sharing this with the world) It has never been so bad that I feel like topping myself, but it has required medication over the years. I believe I have suffered since I was a teenager (I am now almost 45).

It took me years to recognise and accept that I have an issue and even more years to be able to discuss it with anyone - even my partner. My wife is incredibly supportive and helps me stay on top of things.

The key for me is winter - I just don't deal with it well. Working long hours and not getting outside just starts me off on a negative downward spiral that sometimes I have no way of controlling. Most of the time I am pretty good and no-one has any idea. I just have to watch out for the warning signs.

Exercise is absolutely critical for me. When I start a negative spiral, one of the things I just dont feel like doing is exercise. I know I have to get out of that mood and get out and do something but gosh it can be hard.

I think the stats are that in Australia there is a suicide on average every seven hours. Awareness of mental health issues is one of the ways we can reduce this.

That is true!!..it's works for everyone!! It does get rid of depression and it makes u feel so good after training !!

It does get rid of depression

I think that may be pushing it a little.

I suffer from recurrent depression. (phew - deep breath, I am sharing this with the world) It has never been so bad that I feel like topping myself, but it has required medication over the years. I believe I have suffered since I was a teenager (I am now almost 45).

It took me years to recognise and accept that I have an issue and even more years to be able to discuss it with anyone - even my partner. My wife is incredibly supportive and helps me stay on top of things.

The key for me is winter - I just don't deal with it well. Working long hours and not getting outside just starts me off on a negative downward spiral that sometimes I have no way of controlling. Most of the time I am pretty good and no-one has any idea. I just have to watch out for the warning signs.

Exercise is absolutely critical for me. When I start a negative spiral, one of the things I just dont feel like doing is exercise. I know I have to get out of that mood and get out and do something but gosh it can be hard.

I think the stats are that in Australia there is a suicide on average every seven hours. Awareness of mental health issues is one of the ways we can reduce this.

Big props Fred for sharing.

I think that may be pushing it a little.

Well for "mild" depression I have no doubt. Though I have always seen it the other way around - I see myself as addicted to being outdoors, surfing or cycling or whatever, I just love it. Being trapped inside (unless being held captive as Pammy Anderson's bedroom slave) sends me stir crazy, I think most of us can relate to this we are outdoor junkies or exercise junkies at least. There is plenty of research literature out there linking exercise to producing more serotonin which is supposed to make us happier, sleep better, and improve libido amongst other things. Just google serotonin and exercise and look at the medical research hits that come up.

Edited by Slowman

I am feeling quite anxious these days - hard to know whether the feeling is normal or part of a disorder? :lol:

My training has been going really well so can't blame lack of exercise :D

I think the weather has a big influence on me. Cyclone Hamish has been hanging around here lately - there's something about severe weather that makes me feel a bit weird :lol:

I'm also the type of person to think of EVERYTHING that worries me all at once. Obviously not a good idea and isn't helpful but geez it is hard to change your natural way of thinking. I find writing a list or having a daily schedule helps - it takes the information out of your head so you don't have to keep thinking about it.

(a bit freaky that this thread has popped up at a time when I am feeling a bit off. Nothing a good chat and hug won't fix - just need to wait until tomorrow when my hubby & I have a day off together :D )

Great idea for a thread Nealo

Not particularly acquainted with the darker end of the mood/mental health spectrum (although have friends and relations there). And dont want to hijack the thread, nor be Polyannarish. But being anecdotal I find when (very) physically fit I wind up at the other end of the spectrum - at times euphoric but more generally good/happy, to the point of perhaps being a little delirious. The euphoric moments (short lived) I think are 'runners high'. But the more general but less intense 'good' feeling, even when nothing in particular going right or even when going a bit wrong, seems to be a related effect. Can be a bit testy when tired and/or dehydrated.

So all anectdotal and completely unscientific - even 'runners high' still appears unproven (wikipedia) :lol:

I have a friend whose mental health deteriorated significantly when due to hip deterioration no longer able to exercise to maintain high aerobic fitness, although was still able to maintain lean and strong. Also found out someone else I know was being treated for depression by electric shock therapy - which I thought a relic of a past era but is apparently used when other approaches fail?

Wonder to what extent people who (have the good fortune?) to be naturally upbeat find exercise easy, or the reverse, to what extent if depressed excercise becomes particularly difficult or near impossible ...

I too suffer from a anxiety and depression :lol: it has a long history within my family so I was predisposed to the disorder yet I have managed to "distract" myself from the major effects of it by being fit and healthy and active.

this helps but is not the cure-all as has been mentioned :blink:

post Busso 07 I had a mental crash when all the training and all the distractions stopped, I barely made it to Geelong my desire and motivation was so low. I aggravated an old injury on the trip over and didnt race, and that was a relief :blush:

fast forward 12 months and it happened again :D this time only much, much worse. Close friends and family only know how much worse. i have sought and continue to seek medical support, and will need to continue to do so for some time. everything has suffered, my physical health :D (great way to lose a few kilos, wouldnt recommend it tho) my friendships have been tested beyond breaking points, my employment has suffered, my mental state is fragile, so many simple, mundane, everday tasks seem so difficult. Training is barely a consideration :blush: the bike sits in the garage...............

I have become paranoid, untrusting, lack confidence, motivation and desire, doubt myself, my life has become a mess :D

Many people, I am glad to say are helping, and trying to help, but it is not that simple. It takes time, much time to firstly identify and then admit/ask for help. It is not that simple ;)

its not that simple.

Long term I am so undecided about so much :lol: short term I have set a few goals to kick start some healing, I plan on running a marathon in August, I want to race Busso again (so many happy memories there) and I have begun a career change ;) all distraction practices but activities to challenge myself once again.

I need to rebuild .........................

Good luck with it Uberbiker :lol:

Behind all the bullsh*t on here, there are real lives. This forum can be of a lot of support and entertainment. I read your story four times. Good luck and best wishes :lol:

I'm also the type of person to think of EVERYTHING that worries me all at once. Obviously not a good idea and isn't helpful but geez it is hard to change your natural way of thinking. I find writing a list or having a daily schedule helps - it takes the information out of your head so you don't have to keep thinking about it.

I have become paranoid, untrusting, lack confidence, motivation and desire, doubt myself, my life has become a mess :lol:

Let me introduce you to "mental triage"

1. think of the worst case scenario

2. now, think of the best case scenario

3. now, think of the most likely scenario

When I was going through divorce I found my anger levels were going off the scale and it was affecting the ones I loved so I took myself to see a shrink and he gave me that little gem and it helped me through some tough times along with some relaxation exercises...within a few seconds you can bring your stress level or anxiety down by very simply focusing on some favourite race performance and how you felt afterwards (pick one where you were satisfyingly tired but elated). With practice it can become a very effective tool to change your mood.

I hope sharing here can help in some way.

I cant even imagine what it is like.

Good luck.

I too suffer from a anxiety and depression :D it has a long history within my family so I was predisposed to the disorder yet I have managed to "distract" myself from the major effects of it by being fit and healthy and active.

this helps but is not the cure-all as has been mentioned :blush:

post Busso 07 I had a mental crash when all the training and all the distractions stopped, I barely made it to Geelong my desire and motivation was so low. I aggravated an old injury on the trip over and didnt race, and that was a relief :lol:

fast forward 12 months and it happened again :D this time only much, much worse. Close friends and family only know how much worse. i have sought and continue to seek medical support, and will need to continue to do so for some time. everything has suffered, my physical health ;) (great way to lose a few kilos, wouldnt recommend it tho) my friendships have been tested beyond breaking points, my employment has suffered, my mental state is fragile, so many simple, mundane, everday tasks seem so difficult. Training is barely a consideration :lol: the bike sits in the garage...............

I have become paranoid, untrusting, lack confidence, motivation and desire, doubt myself, my life has become a mess :blink:

Many people, I am glad to say are helping, and trying to help, but it is not that simple. It takes time, much time to firstly identify and then admit/ask for help. It is not that simple ;)

its not that simple.

Long term I am so undecided about so much :D short term I have set a few goals to kick start some healing, I plan on running a marathon in August, I want to race Busso again (so many happy memories there) and I have begun a career change :blush: all distraction practices but activities to challenge myself once again.

I need to rebuild .........................

I read this in tears.

:lol::lol:

You are a wonderful person and you have so much to look forward to in life and you will get thru this time, I know that you will.

You have many friends who will always be there for you when you want or need them.

I can relate to a lot of stuff in here, though not at the same intensity some describe. Being stubborn and probably way too hard on myself, I find even when feeling negative and unmotivated, my fear of failure pushes me to complete tasks anyway, but I can easily see how a whole lot of things could drop off the twig if it got too bad.

For me, excercise probably has a beneficial effect, though i have found it can lead to insomnia - but for me training has become a habit, so it just happens unless I'm feeling really crook or the weather is horrendous. I'm one of those clowns who tends to train through long-term niggles, aches and pains.

I often wonder how many long course triathletes actually train without any niggles or pain :lol: - geez that would be nice.

I'd be guessing a large proportion of triathletes are 'A-type', 'perfectonists' which i'd imagine makes them prone to depression (as opposed to easy going, non-ambitious types). But it also probably makes them more likely to find solutions.

I know plenty of people with depression.

Edited by Thommo227

I'd be guessing a large proportion of triathletes are 'A-type', 'perfectonists' which i'd imagine makes them prone to depression (as opposed to easy going, non-ambitious types).

How true this statement is- I would say most triathletes are driven people who like to set high goals and then achieve them. We like to feel in total control of our life, and when things sometimes go pear shaped and not to plan- it can be hard to cope.

20 years ago I used training as a way to control my life. So many things were going wrong and I felt like I was spiraling out of control.

Training made me feel better- so I would do more and more.....................until one day I was no longer in control of even that.

I continued to train hard, my weight plummeted to 30kgs- I was one little sick puppy.

Every-one could see it but me.

Thankfully I have a supportive family and loving husband who helped and supported me though the healing process- so that I am a happy healthy person today able to be a great mum, wife and achieve things I never dreamt possible 20 years ago :lol: .

The key is to identify that there is a problem and seek out help early.

Sunnygirl.

Edited by sunnygirl

How true this statement is- I would say most triathletes are driven people who like to set high goals and then achieve them. We like to feel in total control of our life, and when things sometimes go pear shaped and not to plan- it can be hard to cope.

I was going to ask that question. I wonder how much is related to control? Triathlon is something that you can feel control over and the amount of time spent training becomes somewhat regimented in routine and is also another way to "escape" the rest of life. So, just like Sunnygirl said...when things go pear shaped...the lapse, for those suffering anxiety/depression, might be harder to take.