nealo

Formula One - 2014

59 posts in this topic

Yep went to bed half way through......actually haven't even checked the results.

Maybe if Lewis' pit stops had been regular times, it might have got a bit exciting.

4 s stopped for the 2nd stop lost him 1 s to Rosberg.

just saw this. Big change.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/312682/standing-restarts-confirmed-for-2015/

26 June 2014 – From the 2015 season, Safety Car periods will be followed by standing restarts. The new rule is one of a number of changes outlined by the FIA after a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council on Thursday.

The idea of standing restarts, which will not be carried out if the Safety Car is used within two laps of the start – or restart – or if there are less than five laps to run, was first mooted ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix as teams looked at ways of improving the show, and it has now been rubber-stamped at the latest conference in Munich.

Also confirmed is the expected change to pre-season testing, with a trio of four-day tests, all on European soil, taking place in 2015. For 2016, the amount of tests permitted will be reduced to two, four-day gatherings.

In-season testing will remain in place next season, but it will be cut in half to a pair of two-day tests, again in Europe. Teams must give 'young drivers' a full day at the wheel on at least two of the four allocated days.

There are also cuts to wind tunnel testing, with teams only allowed to use one tunnel per year and runs reducing from 80 to 65 hours per week. This will be backed up by restrictions to wind-on hours and CFD usage.

In another anticipated alteration, the ban on tyre blankets has been rescinded. The FIA has confirmed, however, that the matter will be re-evaluated "if and when the wheel and tyre diameter increases in the future".

On the engine front, the number of power units permitted per driver, per season has been cut to four, but it has been clarified that this allocation will be increased to five if there are more than 20 races in any given season.

Meanwhile, the penalty for a total power unit change will be starting from the back of the grid, not the pit lane.

Parc Ferme is another area to be tweaked, with conditions applying from FP3, as opposed to qualifying, while the Friday night curfew will be extended from six to seven hours in 2015 before increasing to eight hours in 2016.

A number of technical changes have also been ratified; the current controversial nose designs will be pushed aside to improve safety and aesthetics, while sparking titanium skidblocks – trialled by Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg and Ferrari's Kimi Räikkönen during practice at the Red Bull Ring – are due to be introduced.

It has also been stated that the last date at which modifications to the sporting and technical regulations can be made without unanimous agreement will now be March 1, as opposed to June 30, starting from 2015.

If it wasn't for the fact that one is in France and the other in Switzerland, I'd swear the FIA and UCI were sharing the same offices!

So who else was caught out with Channel 10's new Formula 1 schedule? No live coverage, and a highlights package the next day.

Are there any online sites you can stream from if you don't have Pay TV?

I'm pretty disappointed. Foxtel has snatched the rights to both F1 and V8 Supercars, with Channel 10/One only having a few of the races. Used to love watching them both, particularly the F1.

Oh well, another sport bites the dust. C'est la vie...

So, I stayed up way past my bedtime last night to take in the GP at Barcelona.

I have to say that IMO the new Engine regulations have killed much of the objective interest in the sport. Right now only two out of five engine manufacturers have developed a decent product, meaning that there are only three teams that are capable of staying on the same lap as the leader over the course of a 200 mile GP - irrespective of whether the track is a slow street circuit or an areo-track like Melbourne or Barcalona. God help the also rans once we get to the genuine power tracks like Silverstone and Monza later this year.

Renault have been particularly disappointing, and it could be an exinction level event for the Sport if Red Bull pulls the pin on its involvement - the loss of the two 'next best' teams would be devastating for F1. Lotus, Saber and Force India all seem to have potentially good packages (their engines are the envy of red bull, lol) but are probably under resourced to step it up. McLaren-Honda are starting to show potential, but probably not enough to be meaningful this year.

What to do before the sport dies before the mid year? I think as short term measures the FIA should (1) increase the permissible engines from 4 to 7 for the year, and (2) bring forward the next testing window - in fact add in new permissible testing days. This may not. Benefit the cash strapped teams at the bottom end, but would at least allow Red Bull, Toro Roso and McLaren develop packages that are capable of staying on the same lap as Mercedes. It might also permit Ferrari and Williams edge up towards Mercedes as well.

One thing seems certain. The sport can't keep ongoing the way it currently is ... Bernie should count himself lucky that F1 survived the Schumacher snore-a-thon and the Vettal domination. He should not tempt fate by permitting Mercedes to repeat that ....

Edited by Andrew #1

So, I stayed up way past my bedtime last night to take in the GP at Barcelona.

One thing seems certain. The sport can't keep ongoing the way it currently is ... Bernie should count himself lucky that F1 survived the Schumacher snore-a-thon and the Vettal domination. He should not tempt fate by permitting Mercedes to repeat that ....

I don't follow F1 much, so I am not up on the rules & regs.

However, perhaps a system similar to what has been introduced to MotoGP could work?

They've had a similar problem where effectively only 2 teams (4 bikes) were capable of winning races, the gap to the others was only growing, and new teams were discouraged from entering because there was no hope of ever winning.

They introduced a self-regulating system of assistance, to make the grid more competitive, and it seems to be working.

Basically, it uses concession point allocations - the more concession points teams have, the more race & development concessions they get.

Concessions cover engine, fuel & tyre allocations, as well as development & testing restrictions.

In MotoGP, teams (other than the currently dominant 2) get 6 concession points, but as teams gain dry-weather podium places, they lose concession points - 3 for a win, 2 for a 2nd, 1 for a 3rd. As they lose points, they lose concessions, until they have none of either.

Personally, I think it should be a bigger initial number, and extended to further down the finishing order, but the basic concept is still valid.

Although MotoGP don't do it, to make it transparent, every team could start a season with full concession points, and the leading teams will pretty much lose them straight away, as they demonstrate that they don't need them.

New F1 qualifying system seems pretty rubbish, spent more time watching the clock then the cars. A strange solution to a non-existent problem.

New F1 qualifying system seems pretty rubbish, spent more time watching the clock then the cars. A strange solution to a non-existent problem.

Haven't seen anything yet, still in Gran Canaria. My predictions about the split deal with BBC came true and now Channel4 have picked up BBC's nine live races ( delayed highlights for the rest). I know DC has moved across to Channel4, not sure about the others.

I haven't reprogrammed my TiVo box for this season yet, so that will be the first job when I get home. Did Lewis Hamilton make it out of NZ alive?

Yeah, not sure it's an improvement on the previous system in any way.

Possibly, as teams adjust to the count, it might get better.

So many misjudging the timing of their last ditch flying laps.

Looks Hamilton's race to lose though.

Q3 was crap.

God the channel 10 coverage is painful.

Enough of the promos for other channel ten shows I dont watch.

More Mark Larkham talking about his tech stuff, hes awesome.

Quali system changes now ditched.

Back to last year for the next race.

They should have done a top 8 shootout like Bathurst.

One of the more entertaining races I've seen in a while, glad Alonso walked away from his bingle.

Decent points for Dan Ricciardo.

Looks Hamilton's race to lose though.

Must have had starting tips from Webber over the break!

3 people like this

Lively qualifying in China, Ricciardo gets 2nd! Hamilton to start last after mechanical issues.

I don't understand why Hamilton was penalised for not running a gearbox through a lifecycle. Surely that's the point of having an allotted number of units? You use 'em and lose 'em?

Ahh bugger, great start and Ricciardo leading early then gets puncture, next lap they bring out safety car to clean up debris. Unlucky. Still plenty of time to try and work back through the field.

Lots of incidents and good passing in that race, just a pity the lead was not contested for the most part.

I remember the good old days when I could see an F1 race live on FTA.

1 person likes this