Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

9,693 posts in this topic

Yes, boarding a boat uninvited in international waters, sounds a bit like piracy to me arrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh :blue_bandana::pirate: . Thanks for the update everyone, pretty much as I suspected. Craig Thompson will cease to a a political issue after the election, as it is hard to see him retaining his seat as an independent. It appears the only people who believe in his innocence are his closest supporters. I also disaprove of the tactics of his lawyer, a little more respect to the custom of sub judice would not go astray.

Edited by Hymie

Craig Thomson will cease to be an issue because we won't have a party relying on his vote to hold on to power, whether or not he is elected is beside the point.

According to the polls it would seem that the reality of having a definitive time frame for an election has already moved public sentiment further against the ALP as often happens when an idea has a prospect of coming to fruition. With Kevvie getting back on Sunrise to garner popular support and a very real threat of political annihilation in September how long until we lose our current PM? And if (when) we do can we look forward to an early election to capitalise on the inexplicably short memories of the general public with reskect to KRudd?

After the hatchet job his own caucus colleagues did on K Rudd last year, it would be political suicide to re-elect him PM now. It would be an admission the last 4 years were a terrible mistake.

Desperate times call for desperate measures and I think they're ready to clutch at any straws that come floating their way.

1 person likes this

I think Kev is too smart a politician to allow himself to get voted leader right now. I think he will wait until the decimation at the election and then step in to rebuild, giving himelf 4 years to try and turn things around.

Kev would take it in a heart beat. Once they're destroyed they have six years to find the next messiah and doubtful would want to eat the $hit pie that would be required to concede their poor judgement. It's soon or never for Kev.

I see the wolves are circling the ice queen already.

After the hatchet job his own caucus colleagues did on K Rudd last year, it would be political suicide to re-elect him PM now. It would be an admission the last 4 years were a terrible mistake.

Or as some would call it. An admission of fact :-)

2 people like this

Is it a sad day when both party leaders are significantly less popular with the public than others in their own party? I mean, obviously their own party members don't like the way Rudd or Turnbull operate. But it seems to me (now remember, I really don't know crap about politics) that while the Libs should win (comfortably I guess) they could flog it in with turnbull as leader. And with Rudd as leader the L's may at least stave off decimation, heck if he went up against Abbott they could maybe even win.

I certainly don't think the Libs need to change anything atm. But will the L party faithful start thinking of survival soon and start flipping on supporting big red?

Yes. Self interest rules all in politics. Even more so in that particular party.

It's easy to forget that Turnbull only lost the liberal leadership by one vote - so its not like he doesn't have any supporters internally

It's easy to forget that Turnbull only lost the liberal leadership by one vote - so its not like he doesn't have any supporters internally

As I've said before, if Abbott hadn't taken over from Turnbull, Rudd would be nearing the end of his second term and the Liberal party would look like Qld Labor

There's no way on God's earth that Turnbull will lead the Libs again

The reason it's easy to forget is that even during the last 18 months when the only thing looking like preventing a complete annihilation of the ALP was the publicly unpopular leadership of Tony Abbott there was not even a rumbling from within that they wanted to look seriously at Turnbull. Meanwhile in the ALP there has been nothing but rumour, speculation and general disharmony while Julia still had a comfortable lead over TA as preferred PM. Now she's behind she is a dead woman walking.

There would be a few Labor pollies who would be sweating on re-election in order to get their full parliamentary "retirement" benefits. Most of them would be sending out an SOS (save our skin) to Kevvie right now. Look for a change of leadership in the next month followed shortly by an election so that the public only see Kev the electioneer, not Kev the prime minister. There was a reason that he was dumped from the latter role. It's easy to forget just how unpopular he was with the public before he was knifed because Julia is now much worse.

It's not about pulling off a miracle win for the ALP any more. It's about individuals saving their seats. A completely different dynamic. And conversely for the Libs it's not about pulling off a win, it's about giving the government no traction to pull anything back.

Some on the news this morning were saying May election.

I'd be happy with a march election. Doesn't matter who wins, we need a government with a clear majority rather than 7 months of electioneering.

Interesting that even the Greens are dissasociating with Labor. Guess they hope to put up a position to get the votes from those who don't want Abbot but have short memories of their part in this fiasco

Interesting that even the Greens are dissasociating with Labor. Guess they hope to put up a position to get the votes from those who don't want Abbot but have short memories of their part in this fiasco

dissasociating but still providing a vote. Not sure how this is supposed to help Labour and the Greens at the election

Interesting that even the Greens are dissasociating with Labor.

:lol:

Sure they are

Hell would freeze over before the Greens ever gave confidence and supply to the Liberals...

Vote liberal and save the endangered mining magnates. I really don't understand the logic could someone please explain. How can we all have multiple houses, cars, and millions of dollars. Where do the resources come from, where do we put all the extra houses, how can we possible generate enough electricity for all these extra suburbs? Isn't a Liberal vote tantamount to Lotto? Only an ass chases the carrot! I think it's the party you should vote for, don't worry about the face.

Vote liberal and save the endangered mining magnates. I really don't understand the logic could someone please explain. How can we all have multiple houses, cars, and millions of dollars. Where do the resources come from, where do we put all the extra houses, how can we possible generate enough electricity for all these extra suburbs? Isn't a Liberal vote tantamount to Lotto? Only an ass chases the carrot! I think it's the party you should vote for, don't worry about the face.

We don't all have multiple houses some people have to rent so that others can have investment properties

Twatwaffle Sharkbait.

The ALP (and Julia Gillard in particular) have done more to help the "endangered mining magnates" (and here's a tip, all the big ones are publicly owned so that's mums, dads, people with superannuation accounts, etc.) than anyone else in the last twenty years. With their mining tax that they hastily cobbled together to make the problem go away they have enabled them to write off the costs of not just new assets but also old ones to the tune of billions of dollars and on top of that they gained protection from future rises in state mining royalties and reduced company tax. The minng companies would be significantly worse off if not for the MRRT.

Who would have thought that top notch negotiators being payed massive amounts for their skills would have been able to outsmart a bunch of politicians and public servants who had everything to lose if an agreement couldn't have been reached quickly? I mean FFS, it was always going to end badly. For a start, what do mining companies do when their profits are high? They invest in infrastructure. That's what they always do. Mining companies are not big on dividends to shareholders. So guess what, at the exact time that the companies are earning "super profits" they are going to be building infrastructure to offset/eliminate the MRRT. Anyone with half a brain who has been around or just simply observing the mining industry for more than a couple of years knows that.

The only companes that will ever pay more than a miniscule proportion of their profits to this tax will be small companies who can't afford to build even in good times. After all why the hell would you give a red cent to the government when you can spend the money on building your own assets instead? Even if you don't need the asset you are building why would you? Dumb tax, written under dumb circumstances by a bunch of dumb people. If you ever needed more reason as to why these clowns should not be returned (or indeed ever let back into power) then you need look no further than the MRRT.

At least the Libs come from free enterprise (or at least have mates there) so they know how the real world works.

We don't all have multiple houses some people have to rent so that others can have investment properties

No, you and I can both have investment properties that we rent to each other while we both write off the interest and maintenance costs against our tax bill. If we want multiple investment properties we can rent each other beach houses too. :thumbup:

Edit for speeling

Edited by Stikman

No, you and I can both have investment properties that we rent to each other while we both write off the interest and maintenance costs against our tax bill. If we want multiple investment properties we can rent each other beach houses too. :thumbup:

Edit for speeling

we need to talk, does this involve not having a resident tennant?

Twatwaffle Sharkbait.

Yeah nice.

But the question I was asking is where do all the resources come from so that we can all live the lifestyle of the rich? I am saying we can't realistically all live that lifestyle, so it is like a lottery. It's my summary of what I believe to be and elitist party manifesto.

I admit I probably don't know enough details about the MRRT. But it sound's like your saying that the MRRT has helped all the mums, dads, people with superannuation accounts, etc. Isn't that exactly what you should expect from the Labour party?

No, it's not like a lottery and it shouldn't be. You work hard and/or smart and you get rewarded. For some people success is money and material things, for others it is happiness or just job satisfaction. The most successful people in any walk of life didn't get there through luck and it's thant kind of victim/fatalist mentality which defeats so many that coulda, shoulda, woulda. Bad luck does happen but it doesn't keep the achievers down any more than it ensures long term success for the couldas. Who says we should all be living the lifestyle of the rich? It's certainly not what the Libs are selling. They are selling the premise that if you work hard you could be living the life of the rich. Not entirely true (you need to work smart and hard) but closer to the truth than the "spreading the wealth" bull$hit the other side sprout.

An elitist party would be one that provides more/better for its members and their associates than it does for the normal person who is willing to sacrifice the same. You know, like most communist run countries have had. Or perhaps we can look closer to home for examples, let's try the NSW Labor party. Sorry, did someone say Eddie Obeid? The whole Labor system revolves around great power being in the hands of a small minority. The ALP is the least democratically run party in the country. It doesn't take much to figure it out, just look at how the caucus works and you'll see it plain as day.

Anyone who thinks the ALP is the party of the Aussie battler is either ignorant or stupid. The Libs are pro business, no doubt. That doesn't mean they are anti-mr(s) average though. The annual tax take (and therefore goverment spend) is only a small amount of the GDP of Australia. If you grow the GDP through policies that are good for business you automatically increase the tax take (giving the government more to spend on social causes) while at the same time giving those that want to strive a greater opportunity for success. If all you do is tax and spend you stifle growth which also reduces the organic growth of tax revenue, which of course means you need to tax more to keep funding your necessary social policies and so on in an ever descending spiral. Either that or you just borrow money.

The Libs aren't perfect by any means and I don't agree with their policies on everything (particularly the few driven by religious or outdated ideology) but the ALP are by nature a deeply flawed organisation and the only way to correct it is to get those in control to freely give up their power. It won't happen in my lifetime.

I admit I probably don't know enough details about the MRRT. But it sound's like your saying that the MRRT has helped all the mums, dads, people with superannuation accounts, etc. Isn't that exactly what you should expect from the Labour party?

That's the spirit! The new ALP....helping the little guy by helping the corporates. I wonder how wll that would go down with their traditional supporter base? Next thing you know they'll be advocating industrial reform to make doing business easier. A change of name is probably in order though. The Laborals.