Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

9,693 posts in this topic

So we get to vote Kev back in on September 14. Anyone know where I can get a Kevin13 T.Shirt?

I like Joe Hockey but what a dickhead thing to say-
"Deeply disappointed that Julia Gillard chose to hold the election on Yom Kippur — the most solemn and sacred day of the Jewish year," Mr Turnbull wrote.

Its made him look like a wanker.

Edited by Rocket Salad

There should be a maximum time limit on announcing the election.

8 weeks tops.

8 months is taking the piss.

I've already seen "Women of Australia have 8 months to campaign against Tony" messages.

I'm going to start a "small asian female doctors of Australia have 8 months to campaign against the partner of Tim Mathieson" campaign.

After all the kerfuffle over "targetting" Julia last year I'm going to be an interested observer of the ratio of "beat Tony Abbott" compared to "beat the Liberals/Nationals/Coalition" over the next eight months. My guess is around 10:1. I will also take note of the number of times that TA is referred to as "him" or "he." I just won't stand for such offensive sexist language.

How good does Ms J look with the specs on! Surprised her PR guy didn't sort this ensemble years eariler

Still looks dopey to me.

I like Joe Hockey but what a dickhead thing to say-

"Deeply disappointed that Julia Gillard chose to hold the election on Yom Kippur — the most solemn and sacred day of the Jewish year," Mr Turnbull wrote.

Its made him look like a wanker.

Hockey or Turnbull?

If you wanted proof that politics is an absolute mugs game, you just had to listen to Joe Hockey on the radio this afternoon. In one breath he criticised Gillard for calling an election too late in the year and undermining business confidence, and then in the next breath criticised her for not calling it late enough because the full budget figures won't be available by Sept 14th.

This was only topped by a calling saying he was going to vote for Tony Abbott (fair enough, his choice). His reasoning......"I was brought up on the North Shore in a white collar family, so I'm always going to vote Liberal"......and people of the North Shore and Northern Beaches of Sydney wonder why they are always neglected by both political parties. Labor knows they will never win the seats so they invest nothing, and the Liberals know they will never lose the seats so they invest nothing :P.

Am I naive to think that with an election date set it might actually give all sides of politics some policy direction this year, rather than the populist rubbish we've had to put up with for the past few years?

Edit. Disclaimer, before I get accused of being an anti-Liberal lefty Labor supporter, I actually have no political affiliation. I'm one of those annoying swing voters who decides my vote based on the policies offered up at each election, rather than voting along the traditional lines of where I was born :P

Edited by harmer56

After all the kerfuffle over "targetting" Julia last year I'm going to be an interested observer of the ratio of "beat Tony Abbott" compared to "beat the Liberals/Nationals/Coalition" over the next eight months. My guess is around 10:1.

Im betting its more like 100:1

Am I naive to think that with an election date set it might actually give all sides of politics some policy direction this year, rather than the populist rubbish we've had to put up with for the past few years?

Yes.

Yep, too naive Im afraid.

Already heard this arvo of people saying that the GST will increase if the Coalition wins :rolleyes:

Wonder when the ICAC investigation (essentially) into the NSW Labor will deliver its findings. Wouldnt help federal Labors chances you would have thought.

I will also take note of the number of times that TA is referred to as "him" or "he."

They'll stick to the 'MRRabbit' thing.

If you wanted proof that politics is an absolute mugs game, you just had to listen to Joe Hockey on the radio this afternoon. In one breath he criticised Gillard for calling an election too late in the year and undermining business confidence, and then in the next breath criticised her for not calling it late enough because the full budget figures won't be available by Sept 14th.

I didn't hear it but aren't they two different things?

8 months vs 3 months at a later date?

Seems the rats have started to desert the sinking ship....

Indeed

Roxon is a big surprise, and not good news for Gillard given her better-then-average knowledge of the AWU's legal matters during the 1990s

Great news for our legal system though...

Unfortunately yes

Given that Gillard's only achievements are two great big new taxes, she doesn't have much else to talk about

She's played the sexist and sympathy cards. The only tactic left is to go down swinging

The PM has the opposite of the midas touch.

The last few days are further evidence.

Maybe it would have been a good idea to consult with cabinet. Get these resignations out of way before any announcement. Now, a few days in, having to say the govt is not a shinking ship. Seems dumb to me.

She's played the sexist and sympathy cards. The only tactic left is to go down swinging

And the race card (Nova Peris),,,,probably picked that up from Mundine with his intelligent rant about Geales 'white wife & white kids' :sleepy: I see Jon Stephenson also pulled the race card the other day....yaawwwwwnnnnnnnn.

Maybe it would have been a good idea to consult with cabinet. Get these resignations out of way before any announcement. Now, a few days in, having to say the govt is not a shinking ship. Seems dumb to me.

No, it won't matter, most of the voting public have the memory span of a gnat, numerous other media concocted shi*t storms will happen between now & Sept, Roxon and her mate will be a distant memory.

BTW has anyone looked at Larry Pickerings website? Funny, but very vitriolic re Gillard and her cronies. However, a bit more reading will reveal Larry has a very questionable past too.

Gillard doesn't have too many cards to play, so she is playing as best she can, with the cards she has been dealt. Most commentators believe it's Abbott's election to lose (I wish Peter Costello was going to be the deputy PM), so Abbott is going to have to be on his guard for the next 8 months. It's a long shot, but it has worked before, anyone remember John Hewson? Polls prior to the 2001 election had labour in a winning position, but September 11 and the Tampa, worked in John Howard's favour, so it's not impossible.

Roxon was a surprise, but I guess she doesn't want to do the hard yards in opposition. Apparently the new AG has a fine legal mind, a pity he won't be in the position long enough to put it to good use.

I am wondering what will happen with Craig Thompson? If he is suspended from the Labour Party, then surely he can't stand as their candidate in Dobell? So will he stand as an independent? Can he, if he is subject to serious criminal charges?

Also what will happen to Tony Windsor and Rob Oakshott?

I don't think the next prime minister will be saddled with a hung parliament, so his/her job will be that much easier in the lower house. How many senators will be up for election? What effect will this have on the Greens?

We live in interesting times.

I am wondering what will happen with Craig Thompson? If he is suspended from the Labour Party, then surely he can't stand as their candidate in Dobell? So will he stand as an independent? Can he, if he is subject to serious criminal charges?

Thompson is no longer a member of the Labor party, and someone (maybe Albanese, can't remember) confirmed on Friday that Thompson wouldn't be the Labor candidate for Dobell. He can still run as an independent, but if he is found guilty of the fraud charges and ends up with a sentence of greater than one year he is ineligible to be a member of parliament.

Talking on TV this morning of Steve Bracks sitting in Roxon's seat, which is spose to be a pretty safe Labor seat. Then supplant Ronald as leader of the party.

Talking on TV this morning of Steve Bracks sitting in Roxon's seat, which is spose to be a pretty safe Labor seat. Then supplant Ronald as leader of the party.

Won't that get the affirmative action arm of the party up in the air, replacing a female member with a male one?

Odds on that Windsor and possibly Oakshott will decide to spend more time with the familes from September 15. Word is Windsor is really on the nose after selling his farm to some coal seam developers which is a big issue up in his neck of the woods.

Odds on that Windsor and possibly Oakshott will decide to spend more time with the familes from September 15.

It's far more likely that their constituents will decide that for them...

Re Windsor, state Indep MP Richard Torbay is running for Fed Govt against Windsor as a Nationals candidate. Will be interesting, local sentiment seems to be Torbay will roll him, in part due to Windsor support of carbon tax & the coal seam gas farm sale. Coal seam gas is perhaps the No.1 issue here, at least amongst farmers. If you read the Fed Govt Energy White paper, they could have just saved 100+ pages by just writing 3 words on one page - Coal Seam Gas. Feds have pinned our energy future/lowering emissions to CSG from my reading.

Oakeshot - no idea, haven't heard boo from him for ages?

http://www.news.com.au/national/liberals-asylum-seeker-boat-plan-illegal/story-fncynjr2-1226569870756

We've got the first LNP policy, and it's a doozie :P. Go into international waters and start turning back boats :S. Abbott and his team must know that boarding another boat in international waters (especially if the boat is flagged under another sovereign nation!) is rather messy business. Apart from the legalities, there surely must be some moral consideration to what they're proposing, which is to essentially turn away "potentially" legitimate asylum seekers without first assessing their legitimacy. I'm all for giving people the boot if they're found to be ineligible to seek refuge, but I'm quite uneasy with turning them away without at least looking at their claim to asylum.

I guess this type of policy is how you buy the bogan vote :shit:

We've got the first LNP policy, and it's a doozie :P. Go into international waters and start turning back boats :S.

I think you'll find that's been LNP policy for over ten years...

I guess this type of policy is how you buy the bogan vote :shit:

No, cash giveaways is how you buy the bogan vote. Both sides are pretty good at that.