Rocket Salad

Rocket Salads Politics Thread

9,619 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TryTriB4Forty said:

I was thinking about this the other day..

I think you are right ..... all the other parties are basically doing nothing.... Labour, LibDems and UKIP seem to be fighting internally and who knows how that will play out.

The way its looking, Labour and LibDems will end up being VERY minor parties in the parliament .... look at what happened to Labour in Scotland last election! And the Lib Dems - who went from being a coalition partner in government to basically having only a handful of seats.  UKIP might get one or 2 seats.

It will be bloody interesting if  the Tories build even more of a majority south of the Scottish Border, and if SNP gain a whole lot of seats north.... it will be really creating a showdown between England and Scotland!

Thing for me though is, if you were an avid  remain voter (I dunno, maybe 25% or one-third of the voting population) where would you put our vote?? If you didn't like the Tories there isn't much else to be inspired about .....  

This is the crux of the matter. I'm not much of a Tory but I'm much less of any of the alternatives, mainly because there is no alternative.  I'm not particularly flavoured any political colour.  I tend to look at things case by case  (some Tories policies are good, some are not and vice versa). In the grand scheme of things though, they are the only party that has anything like unity, or even a plan and they still have their own internal battles as well.

I think May's plan is strengthen in Eng AND Scotland because Davidson seems to be making ground.  Sturgeon is so myopic about independence and 'stopping the Tories' that any other conversation about the economy, defence and education for the Scottish people simply doesn't get acknowledged.

I cannot see Sturgeon getting more seats in Scotland (of course I could be wrong) but a 'win' for Sturgeon will be if May does not strengthen in Eng. Then we will see more of the same disharmony and knives out that we've seen since June 23 and the country can look forward to years of stalemate,,again. I just can't see a scenario where May and Sturgeon are happy with the outcome.

There is a point where the country has to move forward (same goes for Scotland), no matter who is in charge.

Ok, so I haven't really read into it yet, but can someone explain  it to me.

The Gov has comissioned Gonski to do a report, when they won't listen to the one he already did? Is that the crux of it?

Was at my surgeons place on Monday arvo having a chat and was talking about how my daughter is interested in medicine. She goes to a state school, and he said his wife is on the schools board (or something) and that my daughter is at the best school in town for girls who want a high op score. I knew that it was about equal third in town when it came to general results, but didn't realise that for girls in particular it was the best.

3 hours ago, goughy said:

Ok, so I haven't really read into it yet, but can someone explain  it to me.

The Gov has comissioned Gonski to do a report, when they won't listen to the one he already did? Is that the crux of it?

I think the idea is that the ALP and Liberal parties just oppose each other, regardless of merits .... and then months (or years) down the track they can change their views whilst saying that they are in fact,. not changing their views....

Two recent examples:

1.  For the past 5 years Liberal party has been saying debt is bad.  ALP racked up debt and said it was a sensible use of debt in a time when government can borrow for peanuts (infrastructure investment, avoid GFC etc). So we had these well-worn positions .... ALP using debt, Liberals saying debt is bad......  THIS WEEK, Treasurer Morrison has come out saying some debt is 'good debt' ..... after 5 years or arguing that debt is bad .....  likewise, ALP that acquired debt when in government are now critical of the government talking about good debt ...

2. ALP liked Gonski.....although Libs where on a 'unity ticket' with Gonski (as per Abbotts comments before he was elected) they have consistently said that more money is not needed in education and that current funding mechanisms were OK (ie Pyne when education minister often said that more money was not the solution). ...... now we find that Liberals think more money is needed in education and the funding mechanisms need reform to a needs based model..... and its Mr Gonski who is the best person to advise on how to achieve that ...

So, in conclusion:

Black is white, white is black...... what side of the debate you are on depends on what the other side says ....

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

Don't know the reference of either report, however keep in mind the original Gonski came out saying we needed billions to get the model up, we also needed billions to pay for the NDIS at around the same time.  Since then we can also add we need billions now to pay for domestic violence problems, blow outs in current infractructure like the NBN, government intervention for affordable housing etc.  The list is long and seems to grow each month

Unless the ATO gets alot more successful with getting money out of multinationals paying their fair share, then the options are either rationalisation of the choices or increased taxation across the board (other than multinationals)

But it ultimately comes down to priorities as well, like in Victorian budget yesterday they committed more on upgrading a sports precinct than the total to upgrade regional roads.  I'm sure that won't come back to bite them on the ass in the regional seats next year...

25 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

But it ultimately comes down to priorities as well, like in Victorian budget yesterday they committed more on upgrading a sports precinct than the total to upgrade regional roads.  I'm sure that won't come back to bite them on the ass in the regional seats next year...

I think this point is key to be honest ....

Priorities are all over the shop ....

Yes, one of my big issue with politics is that it seems they want to argue for the sake of it. I'd rather see a party say "that is a good thing", rather than argue just to oppose. 

Especially when they can still score a point by saying, "Finally they agree with what we've been saying all this time, we were right all along" - they'd get the outcome they want AND take the credit for having the idea first.

I saw an "Abbott for GG" thinkpiece today.

What could possibly go wrong?

51 minutes ago, Tyno said:

he would have the power to sack short pants when he is elected.  I say give him it, lol

16 hours ago, Tyno said:

There was some extension to this late yesterday....

the afternoon presenter on 2GB in Sydney (Chris Smith?) interviewed Miranda Devine about Abbott ... the whole conversation was about how Abbott needs to be given a senior job - GG was mentioned, or Defence Minister .....

Talked about by Ray Hadley also ...

It seems that the Abbott supporters want a senior role for Toned Abbs ....

(its as thought they all get a defined set of speaking points from Abbott himself ... uncanny how all the Abbott supporters happen to have the same messaging on the same days....)

Abbott would be perfect for our ambassador to the Vatican

On 03/05/2017 at 11:07 AM, TryTriB4Forty said:

For the past 5 years Liberal party has been saying debt is bad. 

No they haven't

I feel very sick, I just saw some of the footage of turnbulls meeting with trump.   not fake news, just fake. very nauseating....

1 person likes this

So????

God I love this time of year - WGEA reporting (said no one ever)

Seriously understand the need for WGEA reporting, but could the government at least hire someone with an idea in that department on how to design a survey that is not so retarded that results can be skewed anyway someone wants it too based on their biases

3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

God I love this time of year - WGEA reporting (said no one ever)

Seriously understand the need for WGEA reporting, but could the government at least hire someone with an idea in that department on how to design a survey that is not so retarded that results can be skewed anyway someone wants it too based on their biases

The Government went to a lot of trouble hiring someone with an idea on how to design a survey that the results can be skewed whichever way the Government wants to skew them.

You can't have a survey that you either:

a/ don't already know the results of, or

b/ can't skew the results to show what you want.

On 03/05/2017 at 11:19 AM, Cottoneyes said:

Don't know the reference of either report, however keep in mind the original Gonski came out saying we needed billions to get the model up, we also needed billions to pay for the NDIS at around the same time.  Since then we can also add we need billions now to pay for domestic violence problems, blow outs in current infractructure like the NBN, government intervention for affordable housing etc.  The list is long and seems to grow each month

Unless the ATO gets alot more successful with getting money out of multinationals paying their fair share, then the options are either rationalisation of the choices or increased taxation across the board (other than multinationals)

ATO shortly before the budget had a massive win in the Federal Court regarding interest deductions on related party financing by Chevron...

Edited by trilobite
Fixed typo