IronJimbo

Ironman Austalia course update

154 posts in this topic

Swim - 2 laps

Bike - Same as last year, three laps unless approval is obtained to close more roads south of Lake Cathie and make a 2 lap course (to be confirmed on February 1). Matthew Flinders hill remains, and it's now the whole hill up to Lighthouse Road - no more breather in Davis Crescent...

Run - Four laps out to Settlement Point and back

http://ironmanaustralia.com/course/

Swim - 2 laps

Bike - Same as last year, three laps unless approval is obtained to close more roads south of Lake Cathie and make a 2 lap course (to be confirmed on February 1). Matthew Flinders hill remains, and it's now the whole hill up to Lighthouse Road - no more breather in Davis Crescent...

My silly, naive question regarding this is whether there would be many, if any, IM cyclists who would walk that hill up Mathew Flinders? I managed to keep the pedals cranking over during the AluminiumMan/Half Ironman, but only just. I reckon if I had to do a full IM and didn't get the slight respite turning right I'd be pushing it!

Swim - 2 laps

Does that mean the hill is exculded from the run course? Is it going to be a flat run?

My silly, naive question regarding this is whether there would be many, if any, IM cyclists who would walk that hill up Mathew Flinders? I managed to keep the pedals cranking over during the AluminiumMan/Half Ironman, but only just. I reckon if I had to do a full IM and didn't get the slight respite turning right I'd be pushing it!

It's not that hard. Just hit it at high speed and make sure you are in the smaller chainring. Most likely reason for those who walk up the hill is that they hit it in the larger chain ring and can't grind it, or the chain comes off while shifting to the smaller chainring mid way through the climb. Also, there's heaps of people on the side of the road to ensure you don't walk up the hill and embarass yourself. If you do, your video will be posted on youtube and you will be humiliated.

Does that mean the hill is exculded from the run course? Is it going to be a flat run?

Looks like it - no more Pacific Drive hill, meaning the run is 95% flat as a tack...

My silly, naive question regarding this is whether there would be many, if any, IM cyclists who would walk that hill up Mathew Flinders?

Yep. Quite a few, I'm guessing

Hopefully they'll get approval to use those extra roads, so we'll only have to go up twice...

It's only a hill if you can't see the top. Sounds like some of you guys need to man up n

and there's plenty who walk that hill. Spectated one year where I saw at least a dozen people get off at the bottom (i.e. before even attempting it) and walk up as it was obviously a deliberate race strategy. And that's not counting the ones who struggle halfway up, or miss a gear and find they stop mid-way and walk the rest. Each to their own.

I don't find much value in hitting it at speed. The immediate grade wipes away most of it anyway, and there's a series of small dips at the bottom where neighbouring homes' stormwater pipes run under the road and sap your speed too. Personally I take the time to get in a mouthful of water, get in gear and coast to the bottom of the climb before grinding away. Plenty of time for heroics later

It's only a hill if you can't see the top. Sounds like some of you guys need to man up n

I appreciate that one person's hill is another person's speed bump, but on any analysis MFD is very short.

Whatever pain you suffer, it is over quickly. If you compare the time some people spend thinking about it to the time it actually takes to climb it, you would see that it is probably not something worth worrying about in the scheme of things.

Personally, I am one of those dinosaurs that would love to see the bike course toughened up a LOT!!!! But honestly, MFD is over in 2 minutes. Some Ironman courses have got climbs that go for several kilometres :lol:

TGL

I remember the very first HIM at Port in 2005 when we went both up and down MFD, the whole length of it. There were lots of walkers going up it and I thought they were Woosers, until they cycled past me after the top when I was still getting my breath back and going slow. Maybe walking that portion is an option....it was proved to me that the walkers were faster than most of us who grind all the way to the top. As per TGL, I think it is only about 23 seconds from start of climb to top of hill at cycling pace, not walking pace. Also, in that first HIM, we ran out to the Rainforest Centre with a detour down in to Shelley Beach and back....pretty steep stuff. So, I'm glad the run is almos all flat. The Ghost Road is OK, you can get your breath back there, away from the winds and then back to town.

Either way, it sounds like a good course, even the swim start and finish is interesting. See you all there.

It's not that hard. Just hit it at high speed and make sure you are in the smaller chainring. Most likely reason for those who walk up the hill is that they hit it in the larger chain ring and can't grind it, or the chain comes off while shifting to the smaller chainring mid way through the climb. Also, there's heaps of people on the side of the road to ensure you don't walk up the hill and embarass yourself. If you do, your video will be posted on youtube and you will be humiliated.

I can't say having to walk MFD when you are competing in an ironman is anywhere near the vicinity of embarrassing... i didnt walk, but no shame in it - she's a looooong day.

What are the plans for the 70.3 bike course with a 3 lapper?

I spectated one year and saw many people walk up, but more surprisingly I saw a few walk DOWN, worrying about the steep descent. It was funny watching them slip and slide down the hill on their cleats. Seems ironic as this looked to be much more dangerous.

Seems like a pretty boring run to me. Doing a leap on the eastern side makes things more interesting.

Pretty disappointing that they have taken the only challenging section of the run course out.

Pretty disappointing that they have taken the only challenging section of the run course out.

they are keyed into the mentality perhaps?

Seriously, mfd is a tough little section - but it's so short. If you've trained to ride 180km & then run a marathon it needs to be put in perspective.

If you do, your video will be posted on youtube and you will be humiliated.

Says the guy in pink Speedos :lol:

Here we go again......

People who walk the hill

* shouldn't race /be called an ironman

* are soft

* don't actually try

* should just spin a bit more

* it's only a speed bump

I don't want to see the bike course changed because of MFD hill - but I have just never had the strength to get up it. It is NOT for want of not training, trying, strength work - it is just something that I have not been able to over come.

It gives the people who stand there all day something to cheer at - otherwise why do so many people come to watch!!

ride 7 km climb every weekend with max gradient of 20 % MFD mere bump by comparison. Taking out the hill on the run is worth 10-15 minutes

There is a little pinch at the top of the little hill coming off Flynns Beach that I hate more than MFD. Just a pimple, buts its a very annoying one!

There is a little pinch at the top of the little hill coming off Flynns Beach that I hate more than MFD. Just a pimple, buts its a very annoying one!

Oh dear.......do I fess up. I normally have not so much trouble with that hill. But last year......I was in the wrong gear going up (and didn't realise) fell off, cracked my pedal, had to beg the shimano guy for another..........

I have started riding big hills, but it is simply a strength thing....and maybe i just get stage fright with so many people watching.

That's a shocker for spectators with the run. Settlement is dreadful. Boring newbuild retirement homes, and then a horrible swamp road with stacks of mosquitos. Terrible.

Eliminates Cycos Hill for the run as well..................... disappointing.....

There were heaps walking it when I did it on 2006.

And although I hated the hills on the run, I'm sorry if they're gone. They made the course interesting :lol:

Eliminates Cycos Hill for the run as well..................... disappointing.....

Ironman just keeps getting easier. I'm taking up UFC.

Much as I hate to admit it, the thought of being caught walking by AP and a drunk-as-ten-men S Murray on Cycos hill was one of the highlights of a forgettable run leg.

Rocko will be on here in a sec to tell us how spectator friendly this will be. Next year it will be Hastings River Drive and Settlement Pt on the bike and why bother going to Busso?

Edited by Parkside

Taking cyco's hill away is not good - so much atmosphere there. Out at the ferry turn around and settlement city is like visiting the morgue....

Ironman just keeps getting easier. I'm taking up UFC.

Much as I hate to admit it, the thought of being caught walking by AP and a drunk-as-ten-men S Murray on Cycos hill was one of the highlights of a forgettable run leg.

Rocko :lol:will be on here in a sec to tell us how spectator friendly this will be. Next year it will be Hastings River Drive and Settlement Pt on the bike and why bother going to Busso?

Well parkie, I keep tellin you Im is getting easier but I think we write in the same spirit on this :lol: