Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Foxy Lady

Best graze treatments?

32 posts in this topic

So what's the latest for treating biggish grazes? :D Maybe I should have just tried to ride over that tree branch instead of avoid it and fall into the pile of sawn off branches. :lol:

Not looking forward to the shower...

Don't quite get it, but Wolfie seems proud - looks and it, gives me a hug and says proudly 'My wife the cyclist' :lol:

Was my first MTB ride for about 8 months.

So what's the latest for treating biggish grazes?

Get that scrubbing brush out and go crazy, make sure you open it right up and clean out the junk.

As for big grazes, not sure what you can use to make it heal faster, but Palmers CoCo butter works a treat on fading the scar tissue and healing the scabs. It also makes you smell like a girl.....but in a good way :lol:

Don't quite get it, but Wolfie seems proud - looks and it, gives me a hug and says proudly 'My wife the cyclist' :lol:

You're not a real cyclist till you have had a big off!

actually i was at the doctor during the week and he advised me not to scrape... his logic was to let the skin heal faster and the body will clean its self..

so im confused!

Edited by kokomo

Pam, if you want to avoid scarring, then head down to the local chemist and get some of the plastic "2nd skin" type dressing. Can be a bit fiddly to apply, but they will keep the wound moist and you will be able to shower with it on. Change it every couple of days and it will heal with almost no visible scars. Between Stacey and I, we have had plenty of experience at this.

actually i was at the doctor during the week and he advised me not to scrape... his logic was to let the skin heal faster and the body will clean its self..

so im confused!

I saw Jens or someone do it in overcoming....

so im confused!

Think it depends on how much gunk is in the wound. If there is a lot, then some scrubbing is required. If it looks pretty clean, then just cover with the plastic dressing and let your body do the healing work.

pam - i am sharing your pain as we speak !

After the initial ouch!! i gave the grazes a good soaking in the shower

the arm dried out nicely but i still have a weeping pizza on my thigh

using some soft lycra compression shorts as underwear is helping me keep mobile :-)

Pick anything out with tweezers, clean, sterilise and try and get your hands on some aloe vera - the real plant not a cream or anything. Keep it covered with aloe.

Thanks guys. Survived the shower. Shorts didn't tear, so no gunk it it and looking at it now it's more two large long welts with a huge lump under it - probably should be iced. Bruises are going to be impressive, luckily only Wolfie is going to see them! Not as bad as your pizza would be I imagine Pete. Not sure I will get to the gym for a day or so, but they aren't very deep, so should heal quickly. Bepanthen is my friend right now and at least I can wear a dress and it doesn't rub!

Foxy, I guess the best answer to your original question about what to do is "it depends". How bad is the graze, how deep, etc????

I had a thread going on this subject a few days ago (I think it was called "lessons I have learnt") after hitting the deck on December 12. My arm is still bandaged up, worst luck.

IMHO, you can do worse than visiting your local GP. I was very lucky, the nurse at my clinic in Beaumaris is doing a post-grad in wound management and she has been superb.

Oh, and above anything else, be wary of infection. If you start seeing weird swelling or colouration near the wound site, get to a doc pronto for some antibiotics.

Last I heard the dressing to use was Fixamul or Mefix straight onto the graze. Leave it on until it falls off. Wound can still breathe and you can shower with it. I tore it off early once and still have the scar as a result.

If it gets to the stage where it's all raised and uneven usually just before it catches on something and tears the scab off. Put some Bactigra or jelonet on it. Eats the scab back to pink skin.

Ah the memories.

The best treament I've used for the hardening graze and reduced scarring is Solosite. It's a gel available from the chemist. You need to coat the wound in about 2mm all over with the gel and then apply a non stick dressing, making sure you keep the wound coated in the gel, you'll probably need to change the dressing 3 or 4 times over 24 hours.

A pharmasist put me onto this treatment as he was a cycling fan from Eurpoe and said this was the same treatment the pro riders used to keep them racing after a fall. I used it and found that I didn't get the usual tightening a cracking and minimal scarring and I was able to run in 2 days (I lost a ton of skin from the top of my shoulder down to my hip and elbow).

Last I heard the dressing to use was Fixamul or Mefix straight onto the graze. Leave it on until it falls off. Wound can still breathe and you can shower with it.

Fixamul is the best dressing- straight over the grazed area, and left on. As it comes off the grazes will have healed.

to take off the fixamul you coat it in unused cooking oil and the adhesive will dissolve. you need to recoat til it comes off easily. that is what advice you will get from a nurse in an ED

Paw Paw ointment fixes everything.

It's gunky so maybe put some op-site on it so you can wear clothes.

A bit of salt water and sun wont hurt either.

You may need a letter from Mum for the teacher to do that though.

Good luck

So what's the latest for treating biggish grazes? :D Maybe I should have just tried to ride over that tree branch instead of avoid it and fall into the pile of sawn off branches. :lol:

Was my first MTB ride for about 8 months.

Ah, so good to be home hey Pam?

Get that scrubbing brush out and go crazy, make sure you open it right up and clean out the junk.

As for big grazes, not sure what you can use to make it heal faster, but Palmers CoCo butter works a treat on fading the scar tissue and healing the scabs. It also makes you smell like a girl.....but in a good way :lol:

You're not a real cyclist till you have had a big off!

That would be if there is gravel in the wound. Not if it is a normal graze with no junk in it...

I can so relate Pam, I always have a graze after a MTB ride, I thought I was going to be ok today and started to relax, my mistake. I was on the second last bit of single track and crashed on a corner with my front wheel slide out. I doubt I will ever get use to the mountain bike, at least it is only a small graze.

Alan

Ah, so good to be home hey Pam?

:D Yep!

Thanks for the replies. The graze bits aren't as bad as at first glance, but I have a bruise the size of a saucer - very impressive!! including a few other scars and bruises in places I'd rather not mention - but got back on the bike today, but didn't get to any single track. Sussed out the Eastlink trail from Blackburn Road. Bugger those hills in the sun and no wind due to the soundbarrier :lol:

Small grazes are ok Battler - better than sliding down a road 'al Jens' :lol:

Last I heard the dressing to use was Fixamul or Mefix straight onto the graze. Leave it on until it falls off. Wound can still breathe and you can shower with it. I tore it off early once and still have the scar as a result.

If it gets to the stage where it's all raised and uneven usually just before it catches on something and tears the scab off. Put some Bactigra or jelonet on it. Eats the scab back to pink skin.

Ah the memories.

+1 for this fix Pammie.

I have used this a nd a powder called BFI to help with old baseball sliding injuries.

This type of wound was an occupational hazard when playing baseball.

Used to laternate my sliding on both sides of the body depending where the last lot of gravel rash was.

The best treament I've used for the hardening graze and reduced scarring is Solosite. It's a gel available from the chemist. You need to coat the wound in about 2mm all over with the gel and then apply a non stick dressing, making sure you keep the wound coated in the gel, you'll probably need to change the dressing 3 or 4 times over 24 hours.

A pharmasist put me onto this treatment as he was a cycling fan from Eurpoe and said this was the same treatment the pro riders used to keep them racing after a fall. I used it and found that I didn't get the usual tightening a cracking and minimal scarring and I was able to run in 2 days (I lost a ton of skin from the top of my shoulder down to my hip and elbow).

I came off my bike last thurs. (chain came off and jammed and I came down and slid across the road)

anyway I've got some delightful wounds most healing very nicely but my elbow has a big graze/gravel rash and a nice hole. after reading this yesterday thought I'd try the Solosite with the non stick dressings I'd already been using. Holy crap you didn't say how much that stuff stings!! I'm really hoping it was worth the pain!

I put fixumol on both Master t's upper arms following his less than diligent application of suncreen in alpine Victoria (grrrr says the mother). We used baby oil to remove one side last night after 10 days and although we did not take any skin with it, the burned area was still quite pink and soft so we decided to leave the other side until it falls off by itself.