Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter

Kids Triathlon MELBOURNE (9th March)

19 posts in this topic

225968616_o.jpg

KIDS! Want to TRY a TRIATHLON?

Western Suburbs Triathlon Club are holding a Triathlon specifically for kids!

Date: Monday 9th March, 2009

When: Compulsory Registration at 7am, Race Start at 8am

Where: Altona Surf Life Saving Club, 127 Esplanade Street Altona

The roads will be closed to traffic

Entries: $20 per child.

Online rego here --->>> https://www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?ID=1631

Edited by Peter

TA Age limits I assume. Excellent work by WSTC!

Distances: Swim-> Bike-> Run

7 – 8 yo: 50m-> 1km-> 400m

9 – 10 yo: 100m-> 3km-> 500m

11 – 12 yo: 200m-> 4km-> 1km

This race is the result of a surprisingly large amount of work by a group of very dedicated people. They've done a great job to get it over the line.

Please show your support by bringing your ankle biters down for a hit-out. If this is well supported I am sure it will become a regular thing - and that's gotta be great for the sport!

Distances: Swim-> Bike-> Run

7 – 8 yo: 50m-> 1km-> 400m

9 – 10 yo: 100m-> 3km-> 500m

11 – 12 yo: 200m-> 4km-> 1km

This race is the result of a surprisingly large amount of work by a group of very dedicated people. They've done a great job to get it over the line.

Please show your support by bringing your ankle biters down for a hit-out. If this is well supported I am sure it will become a regular thing - and that's gotta be great for the sport!

Pete it may be too late depending on where you are at with planning, but I would suggest similar to what I saw at MtriM kids event. Instead of distance by age group, you give them the option of what distance they want to do. That way if kids aren't confident swimmers they still have an event they can go in. My daughter is now 9 but no way she'd do 100m.

What an excellent event. Good luck with it - lets hope you have a great turn out of kids. No doubt there will be a lot of tired kids that afternoon.

Do you think an aero helmet would be necessary for that distance?

Good luck Peter, you'll have heaps of fun watching the kids have a ball.

We run junior races at every round of our series here in Hervey Bay, which involves aquathons in summer, duathlons in winter and triathlons in between. We run 10yr/under, 12yr/under, 14yr/under & 16yr/under 9 races in all, with all cycling on closed roads.

The kids have a ball and so do the parents. We find some of the 14yr olds then back up and do the senior race as well (and some are consistent winners at open level).

The challenge we have is encouraging the young ones to keep going once they turn 16 or 17. However there is always a new breed of 10yr olds (and we have some as young as 5 participating).

I always get a kick out of seeing the kids have a crack and crossing the line with a smile on their faces.

I find it hilarious that the kids sprint off into the distance until they think we can't see them anymore, then start walking with hands on their hips :lol::D

mind you, some of the seniors are the same :lol:

I find it hilarious that the kids sprint off into the distance until they think we can't see them anymore, then start walking with hands on their hips :lol::D

Calling Simone. :lol:

Fantastic Concept. It will be promoted strongly within the Knox Tri Club. Hopefully we can rustle up our kids for what sounds like a great day

I like it! Well done! And next stop a ladies only race??

I like it! Well done! And next stop a ladies only race??

We already do Nick.

It's called the short course race. Or so Grinch tells me each and every time I race it.

We already do Nick.

It's called the short course race. Or so Grinch tells me each and every time I race it.

Don't miss the epic short course "battle of the hacks" on March 1st. Much sekrit training and lots of sandbagging going down!! :lol:

Actually, we did a real Women's race a couple of seasons back. Fair dinkum, it was the only race I can remember where we were actually oversubscribed with unpaid volunteers. I think there were more marshals than athletes!! :lol:

Bump!

Not sure if online entry has closed, but they will be accepting on-the-day entrants. From a catered/supported/marshalled perspective you couldn't really go better for a first time race for your young'n.

Looks like somewhere around 120 to 150 entrants at this stage - a great achievement from the Kid's Race committee.

Even if you don't have an ankle biter competing I think it will be lotsa fun for everyone so come on down! ;-)

WEve had Trystar races at the state series races down here this year (freebies for the kids) God help anyone that gets in the way of those kids.

Ive marshalled at some kids races with a few hundred or more kids, and if you want to see carnage, stand at the mount/dismount line. Apparently it isnt necessary to slowdown to do either.

No need for aero lids either- the aero advantage in wearing your swim cap for the whole race would make up for it im sure.

Pete,

Is it a serious 50m swim for the 8 year olds or more of a wade? I've got an 8 year old who was thiking about doing W'bool on the 15th, but this would be a far more suitable distance, however he might struggle with a full 50m swim?

If more of a wade this would be perfect.

Pete,

Is it a serious 50m swim for the 8 year olds or more of a wade? I've got an 8 year old who was thiking about doing W'bool on the 15th, but this would be a far more suitable distance, however he might struggle with a full 50m swim?

If more of a wade this would be perfect.

Mate, there are more marshals than kids on the swim - water will be at wading depth and kids can swim/dog paddle/wade whatever. No winners, no prizes, no places, no losers, no cheating, no advantages adnd everyone gets a medal and a certificate (and I think we will turn a blind eye to drafting on the bike leg :lol: )

My little princess :lol: is doing it and she really can't swim at all - but look out for some serious watts on the bike!!! :D:D

Thanks Pete,

Spoke to the 8 year old tonight, and I believe twin high 5s means that he is keen, he wasn't so keen about the early start though.

So we'll come on down to Altona and give it a crack.