SpeedySteve

Coast to Coast

A friend has gone and put this crazy idea in my head of doing the Coast to Coast in 2020.

The bike sections are the only bits that don't scare me.  The rest looks insane.  Triathlon is getting a bit old for me to the point that I don't feel nervous before, or that excited after a race anymore and really need a new challenge.

I've never really done any trail running and paddled a little, up to 10k, a few years ago when I had a running injury.  So I would be going in green.

Has anybody here done this race or been involved in it?

I welcome any experience or advice.

• Like 1

SS

My wife is out there today for her second C2C.  She did the tandem last year and is doing the single two day event.  Looking at the tracking she is currently on the Mountain Run over Arthurs Pass.

You are right not to worry about the bike (although last year the last 70k's was into a howling headwind).

A couple of big hints:-

IT IS NOT A TRAIL RUN - the great majority of it is along, across and through the river.  It involves as much water and boulder hopping as it does trail.  Depending on the height of the river you might be holding hands with other competitors to get across the river.  To train you need to do some coasteering or find a place with plenty of water and boulders.

The kayak is epic, from flat to Gr 2 - 3 whitewater - if you can get used to rapids. If you are in Sydney head up to Penrith, and get certified. Also head down to the Shoalhaven on the bottom side of the Tallowa dam. 

Do it, probably the most spectacular course you will ever "race" on.  Again if you are in Sydney Liz is always looking for people to train with.

• Like 3

A friend of mine tried to talk me into doing this a year or so ago.  I rejected the idea flat out then, however started thinking about it again recently so will follow this thread with interest......

18 minutes ago, lawman said:

SS

My wife is out there today for her second C2C.  She did the tandem last year and is doing the single two day event.  Looking at the tracking she is currently on the Mountain Run over Arthurs Pass.

You are right not to worry about the bike (although last year the last 70k's was into a howling headwind).

IT IS NOT A TRAIL RUN - the great majority of it is along, across and through the river.  It involves as much water and boulder hopping as it does trail.  Depending on the height of the river you might be holding hands with other competitors to get across the river.  To train you need to do some coasteering or find a place with plenty of water and boulders.

The kayak is epic, from flat to Gr 2 - 3 whitewater - if you can get used to rapids. If you are in Sydney head up to Penrith, and get certified. Also head down to the Shoalhaven on the bottom side of the Tallowa dam. 

Do it, probably the most spectacular course you will ever "race" on.  Again if you are in Sydney Liz is always looking for people to train with.

Thanks Lawman.  Sending good luck vibes to your wife.  Based in Qld unfortunately.  We were thinking of doing a recon mission to NZ before to train on the river the paddle is on.  Get certified at the same time.  Hopefully.😲

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

will follow this thread with interest......

As will I. Been thinking about this for a while. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lawman said:

SS

This is what Liz is prepared to go through just to get some time away from you huh? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

A friend of mine tried to talk me into doing this a year or so ago.  I rejected the idea flat out then, however started thinking about it again recently so will follow this thread with interest......

Same.  I still don't think it's possible for me but it doesn't stop me thinking that maybe it might be.  

20 minutes ago, SpeedySteve said:

Thanks Lawman.  Sending good luck vibes to your wife.  Based in Qld unfortunately.  We were thinking of doing a recon mission to NZ before to train on the river the paddle is on.  Get certified at the same time.  Hopefully.😲

Or you can get local certification before you go.  http://www.kayakschool.com.au/index1.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

This is what Liz is prepared to go through just to get some time away from you huh? 

Roxii,

There is probably something in that.  She actually is staying over there to do Godzone which doesn't start for three weeks!

On the upside, wife is away, son's moved out, daughter is at school and playing soccer in Belgium so I have a house to myself for 6 weeks........

....... and in her absence just bought a new surfboard

Edited by lawman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My brother inlaw (A kiwi) does it most years.  

He said it's all pretty easy excpt for the run.

He goes to CHCH several times and year to run over it with a guide to know the best way.

He would have run it about 40 times now and he said he still hasn't found the best route.

• Like 1

Was in New Brighton last year when it finished and the atmosphere in the tiny little village was electric... I am definitely keen to explore it sometime in the future

Good one Schoey.  That would be bloody awesome.  Kim Beckinsale and Dyson Findlay from Noosa are doing it this year.  They will be easy to get a hold of if you want to ask them a few questions.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mhvh said:

Same here

• Like 1

6 months after breaking her foot in seven places, two operations, 3 pins and rehab my wife's done a 3hr PB and might have won her category.

I'm a little bit proud right now.

Edited by lawman
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, lawman said:

6 months after breaking her foot in seven places, two operations, 3 pins and rehab my wife's done a 3hr PB and might have won her category.

I'm a little bit proud right now.

Nice one!👌

It used to a requirement that you gain certification for competency in grade 1-2 whitewater. If this is still the case you would need to spend time with an instructor at a venue such as penrrith ww centre.

Either way, it would be foolidh to take on C to C with zero whitewater experience.

Edited by Chookman

1 hour ago, Chookman said:

It used to a requirement that you gain certification for competency in grade 1-2 whitewater. If this is still the case you would need to spend time with an instructor at a venue such as penrrith ww centre.

Either way, it would be foolidh to take on C to C with zero whitewater experience.

Tell me about it.  That's why the 2020 timeline.  My experience is purely restricted to prancing around triathlon courses.

7 hours ago, Chookman said:

Have you done it Chris?

You'd dominate with your paddling skills.  Then there is your bike and run.  You were a weapon in your day rolling around Forster

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Have you done it Chris?

You'd dominate with your paddling skills.  Then there is your bike and run.  You were a weapon in your day rolling around Forster

I planned to do it around 2006 but it became too much of s logistical challenge trying to organise support etc so I put thr plan on hold. A year later I started having hip problems which put an end to any future plans of LD racing. Would have loved to have done it but alas my body had other plans. I got 4th at the Mars challenge in 05 so at least I got to do that one.

One of the most memorable parts of the experience was spending 5 days doing a whitewater course in Vail Colorado. 

12 hours ago, SpeedySteve said:

Tell me about it.  That's why the 2020 timeline.  My experience is purely restricted to prancing around triathlon courses.

If you can get in with a club that does some ocean paddling I reckon that would help heaps. A few days doing a course will just help you come to grips with reading the water, and knowing where to point your boat wighout being slammed. From my understanding the rapids in c to c aren’t too savage but for liability reasons you need to provide proof that you have basic competency in moving water. Best of luck with your journey! 

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, SpeedySteve said:

A friend has gone and put this crazy idea in my head of doing the Coast to Coast in 2020.

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, Cat Lady said:

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, mhvh said:

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, Torn said:

Same here

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, pieman said:

I am definitely keen to explore it sometime in the future

Wow, I'm amazed so many others on this site are interested in this Multisport stuff.  I know it's not at the same level as New Zealand, but there's some great Multisport events in Oz as well if you're keen.  Coast to Coast does have a certain appeal though, it's been promoted really well on Facebook and it has definitely captured my imagination.  One day!

9 hours ago, Chookman said:

I planned to do it around 2006 but it became too much of s logistical challenge trying to organise support etc so I put the plan on hold.

Sounds a lot like me, I've been considering this race for the past couple of years, but the thought of trying to get it organised in another Country just added that extra little bit of difficulty that keeps putting me off.  But like you, I have also had hip issues which have slowed me down a bit, but following surgery it's still good enough for me to 'participate' so I'll make the most of it while I can.

The 'Upper Murray Challenge' was another one I had on my bucket list, but I ticked that one off last year.  Great event!

Another great multisport race (without rapids) is the 'Multi-Sport Classic' which is coming up shortly in Jindabyne.  It's a very achievable event, but still a fair challenge for most competitors.  I did this race last year and used a TK1 Kayak that I bought for $100 and, although it got me though the paddle legs I only just made a couple of the cut-offs, so I'm now looking for a quicker boat so that I can have another go at this years event.

• Like 1

I was very keen to do the Marysville to Melbourne, but then they canned it!