Sign in to follow this  
monkie

Disc Wheels (again)

So... I like the sounds that disc wheels make and for really no other reason than that and the fact they look great and I don't have to pay for a wedding this year so have the dollar I want one.

I am clueless when it comes to bikes... I could just head up and see Ben in Gordon and see what he has but does anybody either 

a) Have one to sell that isn't rubbish or

b ) Can give me pointers on what to buy?

sounds like you need a new bike :P I would've lent/given you mine but someone already bought em. 

I've ridden a few, Zipps, Corima, Flo, Renn, HED (still think the old lenticular was awesome) and there's not a whole lot between them. The corm (some great hubs) and Zipp 900 are probably the best I've ridden, the Lenticular was great but heavy (alloy brake track etc). The ones with spokes are great until you try and get some power down. The Flo used to flex underneath me (albeit I'm a tad heavy and strong) but in a TT etc it was fine. 

For me the best is a Zipp 900 (there are a few brands that use this disc with their stickers) and a HED3 front. Best combo I've ridden... 

I have a disc (ProLite Padova), no complaints, like it and it does it's job, but if I was buying now, I'd head to Caden Wheels (weren't available when I was buying). I was looking for a balance between price-point and performance.

Tubular or Clincher was a big question for me. After speaking with Ben at Caden, I went tubular for my race wheels - first time I've ever used them (my front is an 80mm Caden tubular). I use Ben's tape to fix them on, the process is very simple. I've filled them with sealant, and then carry Caffe Latex with me on race day.

As Willie said not much difference between an $800 Renn disc and a $2k Zipp, performance wise.  I had a Renn 555 clincher, good solid wheel, made a nice noise and went to a Zipp 900 tubular. Slightly lighter and perhaps a bit quicker, but not much in it. I had a look at the Flos, they go OK apparently, but it looked a bit cheap. Have a look at the 2nd hand market plenty of bargains to be had. You don't need to spend more than $600 - $800 to get a great condition 2nd hand disc. Loads of companies out there producing decent discs - Zipp, HED, Flo, Renn, Reynolds (rebadged Zipp?) FFWD (same as PlanetX), Pro-lite, Croima, Mavic, Vision. There's a few smaller companies like RON (Polish) Caden now do a disc. 

I've had a Zipp 950, Zipp 900 and a HED disc.

Rode the Zipp 900 for 12 years and decided there must be better wheels around by now so bought a new HED disc.

After 3 or 4 races I went back to the 12 year old Zipp and that's what I race today.  The HED felt a bit sluggish getting it up to speed.

27 minutes ago, zed said:

The HEDS are a bit heavier aren't they?

Little bit.  I didn't think it would worry me but I could feel it.  The ride was a bit spongier too and just felt a bit slower.

was the head disc a "real" disc or one of the flanged type (i.e carbon over normal spoked wheel). I know the flange type aren't great (I had the same in a Jet C2 and Flo). 

14 minutes ago, willie said:

1350 grams isn't ideal though 

Yeah I think my Zipp is about 850gms

No budget constraint: Zipp's best disc. Good mix of quality and cost: Flo or Caden. Low budget gambler: Chinese knock-off but research required.

37 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

No budget constraint: Zipp's best disc. Good mix of quality and cost: Flo or Caden. Low budget gambler: Chinese knock-off but research required.

Flo and Caden are different ballparks pricewise.. $1700 for Caden although i think it's a much better disc than the Flo..

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Flo and Caden are different ballparks pricewise.. $1700 for Caden although i think it's a much better disc than the Flo..

930 usd so close to $1250. Maybe I'm a sucker for their marketing, yaw angles from actual IM course rides, CFD optimisation and transparent time saving methodologies. Why do you think Caden is much better?

everything I've heard is that flo is not a 'real ' disc but rather just a deep section with a disc cover attached.. heavy as also..

A few reviews inn here about weight and ride quality (and the lack of whoomp whoomp noise)..

Spot on pieman. 

I bought mine when AUD:USD was well in our favour. Pretty sure the pair was less than $1100. They good to ride, but if you had the choice the zipp is definitely the better option if you have the coin. The sub9 from zipp I wasn't a fan of though. Way too brutal on your body. 

I've not ridden the Caden so can't comment. I do know it's a proper disc though so should be good. Knowing Ben would give me faith in it being a good product also. 

I have a 10sp pro disc for $500 in great shape apart from a few mark if you are interested.

7 hours ago, Newman said:

I have a 10sp pro disc for $500 in great shape apart from a few mark if you are interested.

Is it clincher? What brand?

Cheers,

Monkie

I did some more reading and agree that Flo disc is a spoked disc not too dissimilar to a deep dish covered wheel. Having said that, I am not totally convinced the difference in quality or performance is as much as the difference in price. Flo sacrifice 'whoop whoop' in order to reduce price. Similarly weight differences in and of themselves have an immaterial impact on performance for the majority of flat and rolling triathlon courses. Aero trumps weight. Even Flo suggest a covered 90 will have almost the same performance as their disc, but the disc is more convenient if you don't want to deal with a cover. Also interesting is they consider their cheaper aluminium/carbon to be slightly faster on most courses. However if you want the 'woop woop' and all the infinitesimal gains then Caden will be a well priced choice, once its available. I like the 'woop woop' too, sounds and feels great when I pass it.

35 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

I did some more reading and agree that Flo disc is a spoked disc not too dissimilar to a deep dish covered wheel. Having said that, I am not totally convinced the difference in quality or performance is as much as the difference in price. Flo sacrifice 'whoop whoop' in order to reduce price. Similarly weight differences in and of themselves have an immaterial impact on performance for the majority of flat and rolling triathlon courses. Aero trumps weight. Even Flo suggest a covered 90 will have almost the same performance as their disc, but the disc is more convenient if you don't want to deal with a cover. Also interesting is they consider their cheaper aluminium/carbon to be slightly faster on most courses. However if you want the 'woop woop' and all the infinitesimal gains then Caden will be a well priced choice, once its available. I like the 'woop woop' too, sounds and feels great when I pass it.

Is the Flo page set as your homepage? :D

Seriously though, I looked long and hard at a Flo a few years ago and should probably have pulled the trigger when conditions were good but at the current exchange rate I would not go for a Flo. Although heavy, I also have a lot of extra weight I could lose first so that's not an issue for me. They also do clincher which was my preference and Caden only do tubular so this may also be a factor.

As others have said there are a few options available from overseas or if you are willing to risk a good second hand deal here in Oz. It all depends on your budget, tire preference and what research you've been reading...

I had a wheelbuilder disc cover ($80USD back in the day) on a mavic open pro wheel and that was the fastest I had ridden but noisy. If I kept it I would have just done the tape around the rim which is recommended by most users...