Sign in to follow this  
monkie

Disc Wheels (again)

Lol I should ask them for a commission.  Funnily enough my current rear is an older used Caden 80mm. Plenty of choices just depends on your preferences.

How much time savings would a disc give you over a 80mm rear for a 1/2 distance?

Or is it just the placebo effect of the sound

Edited by Limited
added second sentence

The deeper the rim, the less benefit of a disk I would assume. probably more benefit going from shallow rim to deep than from deep to disk...? 

i dunno

Need to set Flo as your homepage :lol: . This is a nice rough guide, obviously depends on your power output etc in which case you can play around with BestBikeSplit.image.thumb.png.a409a2c7e5d5303546189172c21b1bdd.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

Need to set Flo as your homepage :lol: . This is a nice rough guide, obviously depends on your power output etc in which case you can play around with BestBikeSplit.image.thumb.png.a409a2c7e5d5303546189172c21b1bdd.png

Compared to what?  So as I said, more benefit going shallow to deep (22 secs) vs going deep to disk (14 secs)? or alternatively do 2 months of trainer road FTP sessions and gain about 5 mins...

1 hour ago, Limited said:

How much time savings would a disc give you over a 80mm rear for a 1/2 distance?

Or is it just the placebo effect of the sound

For me I feel that the faster I go, the more effective the disc is and I generate more speed than I can with a training wheel or a 60mm. Adverse conditions with wind, rain, hills and subsequently slower speed I don't think there would be a heap of difference between a disc and something like an 808.  Not sure what the wind tunnel stats say, but they're not real world, they don't take into consideration speed, road surfaces, rider weight, experience etc so you can only really take them with a pinch of salt. Some of the stats about aero helmets are just whack, 15w savings with an aero helmet compared to a road helmet?? I'm sure there's not a heap of difference in performance between a Flo and a Zipp 900, but I reckon if you have a choice go for the lighter option. My 900 definitely feels quicker than the Renn which is 300gm heavier. But in the big scheme of things difference in performance from a wheel cover to a $3k Zipp is negligible. Choose a disc based on price, looks and sound it makes. Perhaps consider weight, but don't give it too much credence. 

note - I was going to go for a Flo, but they looked el cheapo on closer inspection.

Edited by zed

On 08/02/2018 at 10:35 AM, willie said:

$650USD plus shipping etc, closer to $850 total but still a pretty good deal, although it's just a china produced disc with a few stickers on it. 

Yeah forgot about the shipping..

9 hours ago, monkie said:

Have you ridden it? I can get delivered to the UK and bring back next time I go...

That'll cost a lot more... 20%vat for example... 

Personally, I've ridden the China equivalent of this disc and it sucked. Was very harsh ride, even worse than the super9! 

Get a 900 disc if you can. A few companies use that disc as 'their own' 

11 hours ago, monkie said:

Have you ridden it? I can get delivered to the UK and bring back next time I go...

Cheers! Not chasing a disc though. Haven't ridden it and probably wouldn't consider it because of the number of decent 2nd hand alternatives. Loads of near new Zipp discs for well under $1k, which rules out (for me) budget new discs like Flo.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Cheers! Not chasing a disc though. Haven't ridden it and probably wouldn't consider it because of the number of decent 2nd hand alternatives. Loads of near new Zipp discs for well under $1k, which rules out (for me) budget new discs like Flo.

Sorry I meant for me! Yeah I think second hand Zipp is the way to go.