roxii

Femoroacetabular Impingement (my hip is stuffed)

....or to paraphrase Huey Lewis,,, "My hip it is square"  

So the diagnosis for my hip pain appears to be femoroacetabular impingement of the "pincer" version.

No running for me in the near future. Ideally I'd like to get to a point where walking doesnt hurt and I'm able to comfortably put my shoe and sock on my left foot. 

From wiki:

Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI), or hip impingement syndrome, may affect the hip joint in young and middle-aged adults[1] and occurs when the ball shaped femoral head rubs abnormally[2] or does not permit a normal range of motion in the acetabularsocket.[3] Damage can occur to the articular cartilage, or labral cartilage (soft tissue bumper of the socket), or both. Treatment options range from conservative to arthroscopic to open surgery.

Cause[edit]

File:FAI.theora.ogv

The three recognized types of femoroacetabular impingement.

FAI has been speculated as a cause of premature hip osteoarthritis[4][5] and is characterized by abnormal contact between the proximal femur and rim of the acetabulum (hip socket). In most cases, patients present with a deformity in the femoral head, or acetabulum, a poorly positioned femoral-acetabular junction, or any or all of the foregoing.[6] A combination of certain factors may predispose to some form of FAI, predominantly, a marginal developmental hip abnormality together with environmental factors such as activities involving recurrent motion of the legs within a supraphysiologic range.[7]

Three types of FAI are recognized. The first involves an excess of bone along the upper surface of the femoral head, known as a Cam deformity (abbreviation for camshaft which the shape of the femoral head and neck resembles). The second is due to an excess of growth of the upper lip of the acetabular cup and is known as a 'Pincer' deformity. Colloquially, these are referred to as 'Cam' and 'Pincer'. The third is a combination of the two, generally referred to as 'Mixed'. Studies have suggested that 'Cam' deformities are more common in the male, while 'Pincer' deformities are more common in females. However, the most common situation, approximately 70%, is a combination of both.[8] A complicating issue is that some of the radiographic findings of FAI have also been described in asymptomatic subjects.[9] Consequently, the true frequency of femoroacetabular impingement is currently under debate, but the ultimate result is increased friction between the acetabular cup and femoral head which may result in pain and loss or reduction of hip function.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI), or hip impingement syndrome, may affect the hip joint in young and middle-aged adults[

You must have had it for a while then Roxii.

Seriously though. Bummer. Welcome to the walking (in pain) wounded.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You must have had it for a while then Roxii.

Seriously though. Bummer. Welcome to the walking (in pain) wounded.

Yeah it appears it just a structural thing that Ive had forever, but has only become an issue now. 

What was surprising is that it went from no pain/ impingement at all to excruciating pain and major restriction of movement in what seemed only a matter of a few weeks.  

I' ll never jump into surgery again until examining all other options. 

5 minutes ago, Merv said:

Yeah I will be pursuing a few other options prior to surgery. 

4 hours ago, roxii said:

may affect the hip joint in young and middle-aged adults

Bugger, because I could see you on the IM comeback trail.    At least they see you as a hip young adult.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blobby said:

Bugger, because I could see you on the IM comeback trail.    At least they see you as a hip young adult.

Not sure about Ironman but was keen to get back to at least do Huski long course again. 

Can you see yourself being happy with walking it?  I thought I would be, till I turned up to my first race late last year and just had to run, at least until I couldn't anymore!  Wifey kicked my arse for that, I couldn't lie to her about it.

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

Can you see yourself being happy with walking it? 

No. 

While I've had some bad results and bad races over the years, I always went into a race knowing (thinking) I had trained properly to respect and do the distance, whatever that distance was. 

I couldnt even enter a race thinking I was not capable of completing it "properly". For me Tri is swim bike run. 

If I cant run I cant Tri. 

Ive had a pretty good innings, 27 years and only one injury.  Unfortunately its a doozey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merv said:

I had the surgery 2 and a half years ago. Recovery was awesome. Has not been an issue since.  Message me for more details. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

I had the surgery 2 and a half years ago. Recovery was awesome. Has not been an issue since.  Message me for more details. 

Thanks mate, will do. 

Might like to check in with Go Easy too.

If I remember correctly he had something similar around 2013?

2 minutes ago, Parkside said:

so not the hip flexor or underactive glutes then? 

:lol:  No. 

Im booked in to see Dr. Annett in a few weeks, will see what he says. ( I assume he is good??) 

• Like 1

More bummed as I had just built this and haven't been able to ride it yet!!! 

IMG_7285.jpg

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Feel free to give me a ring about it mate.

Of course it is Parkside 😂😂😂

However a good s&c program maybe on some benefit.   Have recently had two clients with this condition (there is diff categories) and they responded well to developing better movement patterns and some good physio treatment.  Both in their early 20's too.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roxii said:

More bummed as I had just built this and haven't been able to ride it yet!!! 

IMG_7285.jpg

Tritrade, $1200?

that aero drop looks bad for hips... :D

9 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I am not buying this bullshit for a second.  Another failed run comeback.  Just own it Roxii 😂

Judging by what its costing me I certainly could own something. 

36 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Feel free to give me a ring about it mate.

I reckon big gear on the bike and hills will fix it. 😨😨😨😨😨

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

However a good s&c program maybe on some benefit.   

Not sure about others with this diagnosis, but with me there was no wiggle room for stretching in the affected area. 

The muscles not affected are fine to stretch and are as good as they ever were, the affected area  goes from no stretch to a dead stop with extreme sharp pain over the range of mere millimetres. 

5 hours ago, roxii said:

Not sure about others with this diagnosis, but with me there was no wiggle room for stretching in the affected area. 

The muscles not affected are fine to stretch and are as good as they ever were, the affected area  goes from no stretch to a dead stop with extreme sharp pain over the range of mere millimetres. 

Edited by Fitness Buddy

14 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Stretching

????

Given what I said above, which muscles should I be stretching??