Peter

Perth driver stabs cyclist in kings park

For your own safety - please don't confront these people!  If they already don't give a shit about you, then what will coming at them do for you!  If you have genuine evidence of dangerous operation of a vehicle then report it.  The old guy might get done for having a weapon with him, but he'll probably get off on having feared for his life or something because the cyclist has basically (whether by luck or not) chased him down.

• Like 2

Sadly this has happened more than once in the past few years. Perth drivers are bad enough as it is, then add to the fact some of them have the "all about me" attitude, things go south quickly.

Mind you the guy in the car was 76. 

I think a 50 year old semi fit cyclist could take him down and beat the shit out of him. 

If he wanted too. 

After watching the video, I'm not sure why the cyclist originally took issue with the driver in the first place. Looks like a safe enough pass to me.

The cyclist immediately starts yelling "idiot, idiot" then chases the old guy down and shirt-fronts him as the old guy is getting out of his car. Seems like the old guy felt threatened and grabbed a box cutter in case he had to defend himself.

Maybe the video doesn't show the whole story but I think the cyclist is acting like a knob.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, The Customer said:

After watching the video, I'm not sure why the cyclist originally took issue with the driver in the first place. Looks like a safe enough pass to me.

The cyclist immediately starts yelling "idiot, idiot" then chases the old guy down and shirt-fronts him as the old guy is getting out of his car. Seems like the old guy felt threatened and grabbed a box cutter in case he had to defend himself.

Maybe the video doesn't show the whole story but I think the cyclist is acting like a knob.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Didn't look at the video closely but my sympathies were with the driver once the cyclist started abusing him.

Edited by Cat Lady

11 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Didn't look at the video closely but my sympathies were with the driver once the cyclist started abusing him.

The driver could have driven away or just stayed in the car. 

But to pull a knife? 

I don't drive around with a knife or. Gun in my car, so why was he? 

Tipping the knife had something to do with the markets he was going to. Looked like an old Italian guy heading to get his fruit & veg. 

Cyclist over reacted & was probably trying to be the man & impress his wife.

• Like 1

It's only after the old guy made the pass and was getting yelled at that he starts to pull over and slow the car - looked like he was really confused as to why this guy was yelling at him. Maybe trying to work out if something was wrong?

If it was my grandparent, I'd be glad he had the instinct to arm himself with something. The guy is 80 years old FFS.

Edited by The Customer

The got angry at each other because they were both trying to cut the course 

• Haha 1

80 years old or not there is no excuse. Those roads in Kings park are very narrow and if you didn't cross fully into the other lane you wouldn't give a 1m gap as required by law in WA.

Also, the fact he says he will get back in his car and run the cyclist over would be enough for me to take action too. WA has to have the worst drivers I have ever come across and the treatment of cyclists is appalling. I'm not remotely suprised the rider reacted the way he did.

3 hours ago, The Customer said:

Agree. Typical arrogant cyclist. Sure it may have been a close pass but didn’t have to carry on like that.

i see it all too often. After seeing many close passes by cars it’s the cyclist always loses credibility! If I was riding with him, I would have him to pull his head out o f his back side...... or most likely tell him to f#@k off.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell how close the pass is. However the cyclist appears to be the more crazy one here, practically cycles into the guy's car door and is still hurtling abuse. You'd think his wife would have told him to calm his farm - not an outstanding example of a cyclist and I'd rather cycle with someone else thanks. 

It looks like a close pass to me... I'm all for going after drivers that come too close to me. It's incredibly dangerous and totally unnecessary. If it scares them then good! That's the point. The driver also properly condemns himself where he makes a realistic threat to kill using his vehicle as a weapon. However I don't see where the cyclist got stabbed and if somebody took a box cutter to me there would have been a bit more of a response!

26th February 2001 - had a guy pull a gun on me and a mate, when we were riding through Seaford on the Nepean Highway. Still remember the incident vividly, the car, the rego and the aftermath. 

Please, please ... as confronting as this is, DO NOT confront anyone like this. You don't know what you're going to get! Get a camera and ride in a bunch if you can. 

• Like 3

On 23/01/2018 at 10:00 PM, Peter said:

Jesus. What's going on in Western Australia? 

Elderly man charged over alleged cyclist stabbing during 1m-gap rule confrontation

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/driver-stabs-perth-cyclist-in-row-over-1m-gap-rule-ng-b88720702z

Cyclist got in the way of the driver who was on his way to bury his wife in Kings Park. Definitely a Perth thing ...

Edited by Andrew #1

Good job that never happened to Lloyd Rayney.  Can't see him having been so restrained.

• Haha 1