badger77

Swim Skins

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but with HOTW and Tweed Enduro fast approaching and both been non wetsuit swims, the question is....... are swim skins worth the $??

pretty shit swimmer, 38m for 70.3 and 1.18ish for full.

if they are worth it what’s a good one??

I've never worn one. If I wanted to win i would consider it.but then again I wear a wetsuit more for warmth than anything else. Is 40-60secs a km worth a few hungie? 

I've got one of these in the men's version.

https://www.bikebling.com/2XU-Women-s-Elite-LD-Swim-Skin-p/2xu-elite-ld-swimskin-women.htm

Only paid $40 for it when they had a sale a few years back.  It looks a bit like a westuit and smells like a wetsuit, it's just a heck of a lot thinner.  Touch wood I haven't torn it or damaged it yet.  It's easy to put on, you don't really have to worry about puncturing it, it hasn't stretched (or I've got fatter, I'm not sure which), it takes reasonable punishment well (if I forget to take it out of my bag when it's in there wet for a week) and overall I love it.    It's warmer than basic briefs, but not hot, and it gives a feeling of extra buoyancy, despite the fact that it gives only a tiny amount compared to a wetsuit.   

I'd suggest that other brands would yield similar feelings and results.

I tried one, Blue Seventy I think, didn't make much difference time wise, but helped with the jellyfish :)

I got a dare2tri one at the 50% off. 

I like it.  Not as tight as some seem to be, and handy for non wetsuit swims as I wear a sleeved trisuit.  I have raced in the sleeved trisuit and OMG it feels slow (and is slow - I did some tests in the pool). 

With the swim skin, I can roll down the top of my suit under the swim skin, then on the run to T1 zip down the swimskin, and peel on the trisuit. 

Soooooo much faster.   And feels sooo much better. 

• Like 1

Just wondering if you have good core -- do they make much difference.??

I have a dare2tri one and I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference...unless the brand makes a difference 

13 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

Just wondering if you have good core -- do they make much difference.??

I have a dare2tri one and I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference...unless the brand makes a difference 

I think its not about body position as there is no flotation. Rather a smoother surface than a std trisuit. 

Yeah these suits reduce the drag created by a normal tri suit.  No flotation so core strength is nothing to do with it.

It's a bit warm at HOW.  Would you overheat?  I can't remember what the water temp was like. 

I wouldn't think I would overheat in mine, it's not thick enough. 

I thought I was moderately safe from jelly fish, however you're heading straight towards them with bare shoulders.  I hit one off Scarborough WA heading out to that yellow marker off shore.  I had a perfect line on me near my shoulder where the suit sat and all of the exposed skin was in a rash.

• Sad 1